PDA

View Full Version : Import 4 vs V8

Aren Jay
08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
So I was looking through some old pictures from my Ex Subaru and noticed that the Idle RPM was over a 1000 on it. around 1200 in park, and 900+ in gear. Is this the difference between the import waking up and going up to 30 mph from 0 compared to the V8 which idles around 500 and takes more time to jump and also falls down so low that it just barely turns over.

I never found in my Subaru that is was never going to stall it was always ready to go and I never thought about it stalling. My Marauder makes me wonder at every light, and since it has stalled a couple times on me even more so. Yes past 30 mph My marauder will trash any subaru, except maybe a STi. It is just that getting to 30 mph it seems that Subaru has reliablity in their drivers mind, while Ford has us wondering is it going to die in the intersection?

Thoughts about this?

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Generally the smaller the engine, the higher RPMs it is able to achieve (like supersport bikes going up to 17-19k RPM). Reversely if you have a larger engine, it can produce more power with less revolutions.

But I've never had my MM stall on me at a light, my old Lincoln has, but it also has 141K miles and needs a tune up and a new ground for the battery connection and other minor stuff.
I think you should check up your MM under the hood.

justbob
08-30-2008, 09:23 AM
My mm has stalled on a couple occasions mostly when cold and you give it a small amount of gas and let off while in gear. Mostly shifting into reverse. Done it since new. This has only happened probably 6 or 7 times so its never been a big concern. I wouldn't mind having a sti for a work car but then i would have two to mod.

CKMustangCobra
09-02-2008, 04:20 PM
It should idle in park under 900 rmps.

and if it stalls at all, there is something wrong.

cougar9150
09-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I recently got a tune and the idle was set higher than stock. It was 750rpm in gear and 800rpm in neutral. To me it felt like the car was fighting the brakes when in gear. I turned it down by 100rpm in both settings and it still feels lurchy when I have the brakes applied sitting at a light. I plan on dropping mine more. I believe stock on our cars is closer to 500-600rpm. I will be loading my stock tune back up to compare and set my new tune idle back to around stock.