PDA

View Full Version : Laptop to OBDII for upload tunes?

CKMustangCobra
09-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Do I HAVE to buy an XCal or can I just get a cable and some software and use my laptop?

Not to exceed a couple hundred.

I can pick up a used, unlocked XCal anywhere for a hundred bucks or two plus an e-mailed tune.

red
09-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Do I HAVE to buy an XCal or can I just get a cable and some software and use my laptop?

Not to exceed a couple hundred.

I can pick up a used, unlocked XCal anywhere for a hundred bucks or two plus an e-mailed tune.
Tunes (especially those generated by aftermarket Ford tuning software) are generally not provided in a "raw" format that you can simply upload to the PCM. In the case of .ll3 files generated by the SCT Advantage III software, the format is proprietary (and presumably encrypted) and consequently a XCalibrator or LiveWire device is required for its installation. The SCT devices come with a free software application (LiveLoad) for loading the tunes into the device tune slots.

CKMustangCobra
09-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the update man! I was trying to avoid buying another electronic device! I've seen some SCT hook up with a laptop... but I guess the software is like thousands of dollars.

red
09-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the update man! I was trying to avoid buying another electronic device! I've seen some SCT hook up with a laptop... but I guess the software is like thousands of dollars.
To use some of the SCT software (e.g., for logging and loading), you hookup your tuner to the OBDII port and then your laptop to the tuner via USB. Is this what you may have seen?

CKMustangCobra
09-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Ohhh.... I thought they hooked the laptop directly to the OBDII port. No tuner... just a cable.

Richy04
09-14-2008, 04:42 PM
The SCT LL3 Files are not encrypted per se., the are just proprietary. The unit takes the raw file and plugs the numbers into the ll3 file ie. to be injected into your ecu by the xcal2 which then puts them in the proper order for upload. The placement of such files can be in any chosen order so that makes the file proprietary to the handheld unit you choose.

Think of it like a song, they are all about love but there are a million of them and they are all different.

CKMustangCobra
09-16-2008, 10:02 PM
All well in good.

I just don't see why there is not a cable/software package out there so you don't have to get a tuner... just use a laptop.

E-mail the tune, plug laptop to OBDII, start program, upload.

I guess they just want to sell some plastic and some circuit boards.

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Anyone know if it's hard to unlock an XCal2?

red
09-16-2008, 10:15 PM
To my knowledge, SCT, Diablo, and Sniper all require [hardware] "interfaces" for downloading tunes. OBD II to serial/usb connectors exist, but for our purposes, no software is available to download (SCT, for example) tunes using these connectors.

red
09-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Anyone know if it's hard to unlock an XCal2?
See the SCT Flash FAQs (http://www.sctflash.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=view&parentcategoryid=2&pcid=0&nav=0). Particularly, this FAQ (http://www.sctflash.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=24&nav=0,2).

Richy04
09-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Before you condemn the xcal2, it may already be unlocked from the car but not vin cleared. You must download liveload from SCT, then install the drivers for the xcal2 (another separate download),then connect the xcal2 to the computer and wait for it to be recognized as a usb device and then run liveload.. There will be a selection for removing the vin lock. Try that first..

When I bought mine, the unit was returned to stock, but the previous owner did not know it had to be vin cleared with software.. Once you clear it using liveload, then try it on your car.. There are 5 separate vins it will flash before the unit will have to go back to sct. You can check all of this with the software, it will tell you that the unit has:
1. A vin lock (this can be reset easily)
2. 5 uses (must go back to sct)
3. Never returned to stock file on previous vehicle (must go back to sct or dealer)

Regards.. Richy