PDA

View Full Version : Terrible nite at the track

Pat
09-05-2008, 08:57 PM
My drag racing skills (or lack there of) have gone south. I went to the track tonight, first time since installation of the NOVI and I did very poorly.

I think my equipment is OK, but my concentration was lacking. I'll have to go see Doctor James79stang to remedy what ails me.

Anyway I had fun, no other street cars to go against, just race cars and their loudness just blew me away.

The track closed one lane due to a massive oil spill so I called it a night after 4 passes (in two pairs). The temps were good, 72 degrees, but the humidity was very high, 89 percent.

I'm embarrassed to post my times, except to say if you had a marauder with gears and a tune we would have been side by side.

But on the street now that's a different matter.

Black_Noise
09-05-2008, 09:05 PM
at least you got to go.

I was plaing on hitting the closest 1320 around me, about an hour away, got a buddy all talking into going with the camera.

I call, and call them today getting thier voicemail saying they will be open blah blah...

Small chance of rain predicted for friday off and on for 3 days.

After checking thier website again, I realize that they are still working on the back of the track from the flooding (Im in IOWA) and the track is only and 1/8 mile till they get it fixed.

and on top of that when i get off work a 5, still calling them to verify that the whole 1/4 mile track is NOT being raced, and getting no answer on thier phone, it starts to rain.

crappyist day in about 3 months, or more!

james79stang
09-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Dr. James :D.....it's all in the wrist's...lol... opp's:rolleyes:.... thought you were going to wait.. but I know I will not be up there for a bit... need to figure out your lanch/rpm's/enough tire.. seat close enough to the petal:burnout:. we will figure it out Pat.. I promise.. you know I am only funnin with my best freind.. James

Pat
09-06-2008, 04:02 AM
James;

The day was too beautiful, worked the AM Shift, took care of mom and at 6PM I was finished with all my tasks and the urge was great, sooooo.

There were a bunch of Mustangs that finally showed up around ten-ish but the track was down to one lane and I was fading. Anyway, I'll be looking forward till the time we can thrash olde Silverback together.

There were two things I did right, one was to lower the air pressure to around 28 lbs and the other (after two attempts) was to drive thru the traps instead of letting off at the first line.

I did notice that my foot (accelerator) was not always down on the pedal around the eigth mile marker, just couldn't stay concentrated, if I had a camera I would have prolly stopped and took a picture or two. Scheesh.

Maybe I need those blinders they put on horses. Ha.

sailsmen
09-06-2008, 06:38 AM
No reason to be embarassed. You have a high hp car and took it drag racing.

How many don't have the b@##$ to drag race a car in front of an audience at the track but will risk the lives of others racing on the street?

Post your mods, times and we can give you some advice. I have posted all mine, "The good, the bad and the ugly".

We had a member do a burn out in reverse and win againest an Impala! He didn't want to race again after the reverse burn out until I pointed out you won and that is what matters!:D

justbob
09-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Or when i did a right rear one wheelie peely 3/4 of the track before i noticed the smoke! And now with the trilogy i have to relearn my launch that was never good in the first place. You'll get it.

Vortech347
09-06-2008, 09:32 AM
You should be embarrassed if you didn't go....

Post up your data we'll see if we can help!

rayjay
09-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Pat you did fine. Remember how I did at MVV? :lol: I couldn't cut a light to save my behind...

Mest30
09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Dont be embarrassed. Last time I went to the track, my first run was an 18.4. I tried preloading the TC and spun the tires like a mofo. The car starting fish tailing so I had to let up and start again. I still trapped higher than my friends 01 vic that ran a 15.6.

Bradley G
09-06-2008, 02:28 PM
yEAH WE WON'T B too hard on you Pat!

Pat
09-07-2008, 02:10 PM
James;

I went to my private strip this AM and determined that my nitrous is working, my supercharger is putting out the required amount of boost, 10 lbs, the limited slip is working and the traction controller is correctly programmed.

My tire spin is minimal and so that leaves me and/or the engine parameters that need to be looked at.

Since I now have an XCAL 2, I'm thinking I should be able to data log something, but what and how and what will the results mean? Need an expert.

My ET was 14.02, my speed was 101.02, my 60 ft was 2.24, my RT was .36.

Cheers,

ImpalaSlayer
09-07-2008, 03:10 PM
your right. i prolly could hang with you. hope you get it figured out man.

Glenn
09-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Pat:

You have a solid 12.9 car if you can reduce your 60' times. A 1.7 60' time will reduce your et by at least 1 full second to 12.94s. Remember multiple any 60' times reductions by twice to determine your et time reductons at the end of the 1/4 mile. You will need to have MT ET Streets or Nittos DRs to achieve these 60' times on 8"-10" wide rims.

Glenn :burnout:

Pat
09-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Pat:

You have a solid 12.9 car if you can reduce your 60' times.
Nittos DRs to achieve these 60' times on 8"-10" wide rims.
Glenn :burnout:

Thanks Glenn, that's not so bad - After MV I'll get some extra rims, DR's and a drive shaft loop. I know these items are for sale on the site right now, but I'm not quite ready to make a purchase that big. Maybe in January, until then the Mustangs and Chargers can play cause the lion sleeps tonight.

Makes me feel a lot better.

MarauderTJA
09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Pat, don't worry about it. At least you went and made some passes. Hang in there, practice makes perfect and you'll get that car where you want it in due time.:beer: "EVERYONE" has a bad day because S**T happens. Thats drag racing.:drive:

Pat
10-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I contacted DR, my tuner, about this poor performance and he recommended some launching techniques as a starting point.

So this Friday, I'll be going to the strip (forecast cool and clear) to work on my 60 ft times. I'll report back.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Stranger in the Black Sedan
10-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I'd much rather deal with a strong running car and have to improve my personal driving techniques, then be trying to figure out why a car isn't making the hp #'s! You'll get it figured out

Pat
10-08-2008, 02:19 PM
But there's enough uncertainty in my driving technique that before I delve into hardware/tune I need to eliminate this.

As I said before it seems to run fine on the street, that is, a part throttle take off then mash it.

Thanks for your insight.

Regards,

justbob
10-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Practice, thats all it is. My first #'s with the trilogy was 14.6 i believe and now 13.3 with street tires. My sixty foots went from 2.? to 1.9. I'll report back later in the week after i run the mickey's.

Bradley G
10-09-2008, 09:10 AM
It was just a matter of time for both of you.
Bob, you pedaled my car in the 13's , 1st try:coolman:

Practice, thats all it is. My first #'s with the trilogy was 14.6 i believe and now 13.3 with street tires. My sixty foots went from 2.? to 1.9. I'll report back later in the week after i run the mickey's.

justbob
10-09-2008, 07:25 PM
I never ran yours Brad. Remember i was skeered!

Bradley G
10-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Oh Yeah, You were afraid you'd wreck my junk.
I never ran yours Brad. Remember i was skeered!