PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Upgrade questions

Drewstang
09-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I was thinking of doing a minor brake upgrade until this spring when I get the Wilwood kit for the front. Baer makes OEM replacement rotors that are slotted and drilled, Napa also has their brand of slotted and drilled rotors with a lifetime warranty. Has anyone tried either one or another style with good results?

KillJoy
09-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Get the Napa's w/ their Ceramix Pads.

:up:

KillJoy

red
09-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm using the Brembo OEMs and combined with the Hawk Performance HPS, there is a significant improvement in braking power. See here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=630565&postcount=15).

Spectragod
09-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I have the NAPA rotors with Adaptive One ceramic pads, got about 10K on them, I have not had a problem as of yet. Of course, these are on a CV, not a MM, not that it would matter, just an FYI.

magindat
09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
I have been using Baer Decela for over 50K with ceramic pads - love em

ctrlraven
09-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Napa has slotted and drilled rotors? So stock size rotor options are Napa, Brembo and Baer? I need something that is going to perform well just for street use, way too many idiots in my area and even with giving people plenty of room I still find myself having to hit the brakes harder than I would like.

After dealing with the w***** EBC sport rotors, I had my stock rotors turned and put them back on. I also had the EBC rotors turned but I don't know their discard threshold so their just sitting on a shelf right now. Plus I think my stock ones are w***** again already, don't ask how cause I have no clue.

UncleLar
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
When I had my 96 Cougar I was a member of TCCoA,Thunderbird Cougar Club of America and everyone was having problems with the genuine Ford rotors warping and a lot of guys switched to Auto Zone rotors and swore by them saying they had no more warped rotor problems.
It sounds hard to believe but it was true,maybe the Auto Zone rotors will work as well on MM's,GM's and CV's.

Drewstang
09-08-2008, 05:39 AM
Napa has slotted and drilled rotors? So stock size rotor options are Napa, Brembo and Baer? I need something that is going to perform well just for street use, way too many idiots in my area and even with giving people plenty of room I still find myself having to hit the brakes harder than I would like.

After dealing with the w***** EBC sport rotors, I had my stock rotors turned and put them back on. I also had the EBC rotors turned but I don't know their discard threshold so their just sitting on a shelf right now. Plus I think my stock ones are w***** again already, don't ask how cause I have no clue.
If you are using EBC pads, then I know why your rotors keep warping.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know I want the Wilwood kit in 4-5 months, but the OEM rotors are just slightly cheaper than the Baer or Napa rotors. I do know I'll be going through the EVOC classes with the Fire Dept before I get the Wilwood kit so I need as much braking power as possible. :burnout:

Zack
09-08-2008, 05:45 AM
I originally had problems with my Wildwood kit (brake dust EVERYWHERE)
Then I switched to a less aggressive pad and it stopped really well.

Fast forward 4000 miles and the car doesnt stop for *****. The rotors are becoming glazed over with a blu-ish like hue. Ive panic stopped the car to try and remove this and get a better pedal to no avail.
After market brakes for Marauders SUCK.

ctrlraven
09-08-2008, 07:07 AM
If you are using EBC pads, then I know why your rotors keep warping.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I know I want the Wilwood kit in 4-5 months, but the OEM rotors are just slightly cheaper than the Baer or Napa rotors. I do know I'll be going through the EVOC classes with the Fire Dept before I get the Wilwood kit so I need as much braking power as possible. :burnout:

I had the EBC green stuff pads for like 2 months then switched to the Napa Ceramix pads while on the EBC rotors and made a big difference. I'm running Ceramix pads on stock rotors right now.

Funny how after I typed something about needing better stopping power on my way home I ended hitting a deer. I hit the brakes and aimed towards the shoulder of the 2 lane road but the deer decided to keep running towards the woods on the right side. It happened on an S curve, had it been on a straight away I would of seen it way before hand but came around a sharp left bend, lights were still pointed towards the shoulder.

cougar9150
09-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I have Cryo treated slotted, cross drilled stock rotors from Sub-zero cryo here in Tampa Bay. Local vendor good guy, great product. I used a set of his rotors on my 91 cougar after having the same warping problem and have used them on every vehicle since. My 02 frontier, my wifes 02 Altima, my 04 Marauder, the wifes 03 G35 sedan, 2 of my buddies w/350Z's 1 had an 04 the other has an 07, another guys w/ an 02 Sport Trac, 2 different guys w/03 and 04 cobras and my another buddie with a 500 hp twin turbo Prelude. No body has had any issues and all will use his products again. I swear by them until I'm ready (can afford) a big brake kit. Typical cost is around $300 for a complete setup front and rear.

Cobra25
09-27-2008, 12:49 PM
I have the Napa Drilled & slotted rotors and ceramix pads front and back for over 2 years and no problems.

ctrlraven
09-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Anyone have the part # for the Napa drilled and slotted rotors?

darkvader1
09-28-2008, 07:29 AM
black coated ebc rotors with performance friction pads all around.

imorb1994
09-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Anyone have the part # for the Napa drilled and slotted rotors?
Right front
Item#: UP PR880110R
http://www.napaonline.com/images/u_clear.gif
Price: $134.00
Left front
Item#: UP PR880110L
Left rear
Item#: UP PR880129L
Price: $104.00
Right rear
Item#: UP PR880129R
Price: $104.00

DJCV
09-28-2008, 12:29 PM
(please excuse the partial hi-jack)
I'm selling a pair of NEW Power Slot front rotors----#8172PSR & #8172PSL----along with a set of Akebono Ceramic pads (#ACT931). Paid about $210 for the pair of rotors, and about $56 for the pads. All parts are new and in the box; never installed. Good for all 2003 & 2004 Panthers.

PM me if interested.

Cobra25
09-28-2008, 04:58 PM
If you have a interest in the Napa Ceramic Pads part # front- CMX-7834 & the rear are Parts # CMX 7835.

Todd TCE
10-04-2008, 08:05 AM
I originally had problems with my Wildwood kit (brake dust EVERYWHERE)
Then I switched to a less aggressive pad and it stopped really well.

Fast forward 4000 miles and the car doesnt stop for *****. The rotors are becoming glazed over with a blu-ish like hue. Ive panic stopped the car to try and remove this and get a better pedal to no avail.
After market brakes for Marauders SUCK.

Personally I offer about three street worthy pads for this application Zack.

BP10
BP20
Poly D
Poly E (not stocked)

BP10 is a somewhat uninspiring pad with a stable but relatively low Cf and will be the more low dust option of the bunch.

BP20s won't work quite so well at low temps but ramp up effectiveness nicely as the temperatures rise. It's the first choice for a lot of more spirited street apps such as my Lightning kit where elevated tempes (read mass) is part of the equation. But it has more dust levels than 10s to go with that.

Poly D pads are cats ass for low temp, low wear performance. With the highest Cf of the lot for instant gratification they do the job- now. They are a metallic Raybestos compound and as you'd expect they react like one with more noise and modest dusting.

Other pads (and I have one of them) such as HPS from Hawk are available. Some like them, some don't and I have one set of them if you like. Hawk also sells a number of other 7416 plates with other materials. Now listed as HB521 if shopping it.

The color change may well be simply heat. I blue rotors during a bedding procedure and when they're finally run in hard the rotor finish will be mirror like. Unless they show signs of "spotchiness" of the pads apparently skipping or clear signs of pad smear the color is not an issue. A reminder also that hard stops with the pedal held will be a quick trip to pulsation issues from a low temp pad breaking down on the rotor so please adjust as needed.

It comes down to what one wants: maximum braking performance or low noise and dust. In the world of friction we can't really have both. Of all the options for pads and components the same principals apply. There's nothing special about this set up that's not found on dozens of other kits. Its a matter of finding what works best for your needs.

Krytin
10-04-2008, 08:31 AM
It comes down to what one wants: maximum braking performance or low noise and dust. In the world of friction we can't really have both. Of all the options for pads and components the same principals apply. There's nothing special about this set up that's not found on dozens of other kits. Its a matter of finding what works best for your needs.

Thanks for that post Todd!

I have to laugh everytime I hear people talk about how "great" ceramic pads stop!
On EVERY Mfg's web site, they rate their ceramic pads as being less "dusty" but also as having less stopping power. The metalic pads create more dust but stop better!
Pick one or the other - do you want clean rims or do you want to stop fast? If you want clean rims - watch how fast you drive. If you want to drive fast - clean your rims!

Todd TCE
10-04-2008, 08:47 AM
I want to make it clear that I want all my customers happy. Nobody, including me, likes to hear of someone being dissatisfied. That being said, if I could come up with a pad compound that would provide race car inspired stopping torque with long wear, low noise and no dusting....I'd be a very rich man. You can't have it all.

ctrlraven
10-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Right front
Item#: UP PR880110R
Left front
Item#: UP PR880110L
Left rear
Item#: UP PR880129L