PDA

View Full Version : going to the air races.

ImpalaSlayer
09-09-2008, 09:36 AM
i leave for the air races tomarow. im looking for some tips for shooting out side in the sun at objects moving 500mph.

Dave

cruzer
09-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Always set your camera to "fixed Focus--infinity"--otherwise, auto-focus will search constantly and usuall doesn't pick up the small object. Do not try to find the aircraft in high zoom ---use partial zoom so you can find a/c first--then zoom in on it--if you lose it, go immediately to wide angle. In high zoom, you hasve to be accurate in your tracking--particularly with a still camera--you can lose your target just by the deflection of pressing the take button. Movies are a little easier. Use "auto" exposure and shutter--they work just fine. If you do not lock your focus, someone walking in front of you will disrupt the search and lock-on. I may not be using the correct terminology, but I have over 100 hours of airshow movies and hundreds of stills---I learned the hard way :) I envy you for being able to go to Reno--haven't made it yet, have a great time--don't miss the show trying to get pictures--the wide view from your eyes in spectacular--no camera can capture that. Be safe and wear sun screen and sun glasses. Give us a report when you get home, Maury

ImpalaSlayer
09-09-2008, 10:14 AM
thanks Maury, this is my 4th year in a row. my father imports and restores the type of air craft flown in the jet class (L-39s). in fact 5 of the 8 that are racing my dad built. i will try to get some pics but i usualy end up forgetting lol.

jdando
09-09-2008, 01:44 PM
What camera are you shooting? Canon 5IS?

ImpalaSlayer
09-09-2008, 02:23 PM
yes jeremy

jdando
09-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Keep the sun at your back if possible

For jets;

Av mode, f stop as low as it will go f2.8-5.6
adjust the ISO get get a shutter speed of 1/640 +

For prop planes;

Tv mode; shutter speed of 1/120-1/200

Panning;
Tv mode; shutter speed of 1/60-1/100
move the camera with the subject

The slower shutter speeds will be harder to get "keepers" pictures, but done correctly the picture will be a better quality image (telling more of a story of the event).
Take the camera manual and read it on the plane.
Have fun, and post up the results.

Fill the frame with the plane or item of interest