PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade the suspension

J D
09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Well as of late, performance wise, I'm happy. I'm gonna get a tune someday, quite certainly from Lidio, but maybe I'll even drive out to Chicago and get it dyno tuned :drool: But for the moment, I feeling the boatyness of our MMs and want to see my handling upgraded.

And the question I put forward today, is whether I first upgrade to front and rear addco sway bars or rather upgrade the control arms all around. College being what it is I only have so much to blow and it might be a while till I get around to the other mod, probably several months.

Second, I kick myself for not jumping in on the Zach and Mac CAs back in Feb, as I like their looks and fact that they use factory bushings and that they don't need to be greased every so often. So now I want to know what my other choices are as far as CAs other than Metco, and whether I have the wrong view here.

And lastly as a probable deciding factor, which is tougher,harder to install? That is, which will give me the lease trouble going in, or need special tools over the regular ones that I'd have already on hand.

Krytin
09-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Start with the sway bars front and back - no special tools and at your hp level more bang for the buck than the CA's.
Budget for the CA's when you do the tune/gears - the added power will make the oem CA's shortcomings more noticable!

Blk Mamba
09-14-2008, 05:14 PM
+1^^^^, wish you would have used the new suspension, & handling forum.

J D
09-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Start with the sway bars front and back - no special tools and at your hp level more bang for the buck than the CA's.
Budget for the CA's when you do the tune/gears - the added power will make the oem CA's shortcomings more noticeable!

Awesome, just what I needed to know. But how easy is it, its got to be more than just unbolt, pull off, and bolt new one in place right?

+1^^^^, wish you would have used the new suspension, & handling forum.

Wow, I did not even notice that we have one of those.:eek:
And here I thought I was in the right place posting in the shop and not in Community Discussion.

Krytin
09-16-2008, 04:35 PM
The instal is pretty much a straight bolt in.
The trick is to raise the car and support the suspension so the rear end/front suspension are setting at as close to normal ride height as posible.
The rear is easier.
Don't let the front control arms hang down - support both front lower control arms when you do the front.
The aftermarket sway bars are not marked left/right so take a good look at the OEM's BEFORE you take them out to prevent any confusion installing the new ones.
Last but not least, if in doubt, get some help from a friend who already did it!

ImpalaSlayer
09-16-2008, 04:42 PM
GET the sway BARS!!! well worth the money!. then cut a coil from the front an move the rear ride height sensor over a bit. that will get it handleing much better. at least do the sway bars. they are very easy to install and you will notice the difference right away

J D
09-18-2008, 06:30 PM
The install is pretty much a straight bolt in.
The trick is to raise the car and support the suspension so the rear end/front suspension are setting at as close to normal ride height as possible.
The rear is easier.
Don't let the front control arms hang down - support both front lower control arms when you do the front.
The aftermarket sway bars are not marked left/right so take a good look at the OEM's BEFORE you take them out to prevent any confusion installing the new ones.
Last but not least, if in doubt, get some help from a friend who already did it!

Ramps should do the trick then eh?
Good to know,
And I should check if Paul tried 'em.

GET the sway BARS!!! well worth the money!. then cut a coil from the front an move the rear ride height sensor over a bit. that will get it handling much better. at least do the sway bars. they are very easy to install and you will notice the difference right away

I'm shying away from cutting the coils or otherwise irreversibly changing the car unless I use a replacement and hold on to the OEM, I learned that while doing the real OP conversion.

Also, anyone know where I can pick up Addco's front and rears for a low price, most places are 240 or so, and I see post of people buying for 100 or 150 buck and sometimes for both

ImpalaSlayer
09-18-2008, 08:23 PM
call DR, i think he has em for 140 a piece but dont hold me to it. or check out neverenoughauto

ImpalaSlayer
09-18-2008, 08:26 PM
oh and cutting the coils has no adverse affects on the ride. makes the car look way better and lowers the CG a little bit

freakstatus
09-18-2008, 11:29 PM
JD.....Check this link out...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/51/sort/2/cat/20/page/1

J D
09-19-2008, 02:13 PM
oh and cutting the coils has no adverse affects on the ride. makes the car look way better and lowers the CG a little bit

Oh I know it will, but I saying that I don't want to change anything that can't be put back to OEM.

JD.....Check this link out...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/51/sort/2/cat/20/page/1

perfect! just what I needed, now I knot that I need the torque wrench and the locktite and grease.

Also do I still need a jack if I use ramps? They'd still be unloaded right? And are removing the Front wheels necessary?

Blackened300a
09-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I did my front and rear sway bars laying on my back with nothing more then hand tools and jackstands. The rear has to be at ride height or you'll never get the bushings to line up. I decided to take them apart and relube with the car on the lift and I ended up being on my back again to get the bolts back in. The front wasnt too hard either but like Krytin said, You have to be certain of how it lines up.