PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tuner, Tunes, Nos

doyounochef
09-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I just bought my future brother-in-laws Marauder (he lives in Las Vegas I live in NY car is being shipped). And moving on, the car has Flowmaster exhaust and K & N intake so I am going to buy a tuner and tunes so how do i go with Alternative Auto or Reinhart Auto, now from what I have read they both seem to be great guys so who tunes are better and which tuner is better the Liver Wire or the Xcalibrator2 now from what I read I need a tune and tuner so Next
I was thinking of adding Nos what do you guys think of that i would love to get a supercharge but i just pay for a car and I have a wedding to pay for

sd8683
09-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Flip a coin.... You can't go wrong with either one.
Get some 410's while your at it.

Sean

doyounochef
09-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks sd8683 but will that void my warranty?

sd8683
09-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks sd8683 but will that void my warranty?

The 410's?? Hmmm.... I'm not sure, but I know NOS will:)

ImpalaSlayer
09-19-2008, 04:55 PM
i dont see how gears would. i think theyd have a hard time knowing?

Vortech347
09-20-2008, 08:46 AM
4.10's for sure!!

Also go with the x-cal. A friend of mine has a live wire and we cant' ever get it to work worth a damn to data log or do some of the things its "crazed' to do.

red
09-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Also go with the x-cal. A friend of mine has a live wire and we cant' ever get it to work worth a damn to data log or do some of the things its "crazed' to do.
I agree. Get an XCalibrator over a Live Wire.

doyounochef
09-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I want to thank you guys for the replies I guess I know the unit to get one more question is Zack tunes the same as Dennis tunes

KillJoy
09-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Zack and DR both use the SCT Base "Tune", if I am not mistaken... I could be though.

The MAIN difference is the Transmission Shift Schedule.

Personally, I run Zack's Trans Tune.

:up:

If you want a NOS Tune, get a DYNO TUNE. PERSONALLY, I would NEVER trust a mail order NOS OR Blower Tune. But that is just me (I have a SCT Dyno tuner 1/2 mile from my house :D )

FYI - I have ran DR and Lidio's Mail Order Tune. I preferred Lidio's Transmission, of the two, and Zack's above that.

Good luck on what you decide.... ANY of the Tunes offered on THIS site are better than stock!

And if I might make a suggestion:

Get 4.10 Gears and a Tune. The reason being, they are ALWAYS there. Juice is only there when you flip the switch and pay to fill the bottle. Also, the MM airbox is one of the best flowing Ford EVER made. Just get the K&N Panel Filter. Spend the $$$ where it counts!

:beer:

KillJoy

LVMarauder
09-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey chef, the 4.10's no one will know unless they take the time to count the teeth in the pinion and ring gear, no dealership will waste that much time. As for tuners the Xcal's are limited , depending on how much you are going to modify your car. I just got a live wire and it kicks ass, the end user adjustability is better than an Xcal2 and comparable to a 3, but it still has more options. If you are not technophobic it is easy to operate and use all of its features. As far as nitrous , be careful, its too easy to go lean and go POOOF~! Tune your set up on a dyno slowly and you should be ok. i wouldnt go over 125 shot either.

O and above all, get a zack tune. It will be the single best investment you could make, and its one of the least expensive.

doyounochef
09-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Once again you guys are too kind thank for all the info
If what i have hear I will not b going with the Nos *(save my money to buy s/c) but i was looking for Zack tune and read he does not do tunes anymore ????? I am in NYC for now so i would need to get him a tuner right? but he doesn't sell then mmmmm

sd8683
09-21-2008, 07:30 AM
You will need a tuner, zack can email a tune to you

Zack
09-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Once again you guys are too kind thank for all the info
If what i have hear I will not b going with the Nos *(save my money to buy s/c) but i was looking for Zack tune and read he does not do tunes anymore ????? I am in NYC for now so i would need to get him a tuner right? but he doesn't sell then mmmmm

Yes I can help, Im just not advertising.

HITEKBALANCER
09-21-2008, 09:56 AM
As for the warranty. Ford/Mercury is three years or 30,000mi. Even if the car has 10,000 on it they wont do anything for you especially with their financial position.

Make sure when you modify anything that you set some objectives. Don't loose sight of what you intend to use the car for. The more mods you make the worse your mileage will get. Yes you can tune for better mileage but for some reason your foot just gets heavier. More power used more fuel burned.

I run 3.55's, I like them for the street. If I had to do it all over I might have gone to 3.73's, you may not like 4.10s.

doyounochef
09-21-2008, 02:05 PM
:mad2::mad2:My future brother in-law just told me he would need the car for 2 more weeks plus 1 week to transport i am 3 weeks out :mad2::mad2::flamer: I feel like a kid the night before Christmas no 3 weeks before I want to thank all of you guys I am very new to this and all of you have been great:D:D Again thanks you guys:bows::bows::bows:

I have driven her many of times. I just want to wake the beast no unleash it.

LVMarauder
09-21-2008, 11:33 PM
It will be worth the wait. This is the only car that Ive had that I smile everytime I walk up to it and get in.For a 4200 lbs car its ok stock, but with mods it IS a fast car. with a blower, its as dangerous as a vette. On another note, Im at 215 and DI where do you roam around here?

doyounochef
09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I am not in Vegas yet, I just had back surgery thats why I am stuck in New York, but my live off the 215 off Cheyenne and yes i will end up shipping the car back

Zack
09-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Ill be glad to help you with a tune when you get the car :up:

doyounochef
09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Why go with a 4.10 and not a 3.73 my friend use the 3.73 in his stang and swayers by it

LVMarauder
09-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Weight. 3.73 does increase off the line performance but 4.10's increase it by that much more, theres tables on the net that show the torque multiplication increases and RPM increases. If you live on the highway maybe 3.73's would be smarter, but if you do most your driving on the street 4.10's are superior. Mustang is 400+ lbs lighter than us. Most of the people here go with 4.10, some even 4.30 or 4.56 ( drag only). If I had to do it again I keep the stock gears and add a gear vendors under/over drive unit, basically creates an 8 speed tranny with something like a 7-8.xx final drive ratio in 1 and by the time you are in 4th your at .7 with over drive, or something loosely along those lines. Downside is that its expensive and complicated with the PCM interface and you need a custom shaft. Anyway, those who know specifics or see mistakes I have made please feel free to correct me.

red
09-23-2008, 07:05 PM
If I had to do it again I keep the stock gears and add a gear vendors under/over drive unit... downside is that its expensive and complicated with the PCM interface and you need a custom shaft.
This is not a new technology, the units are not without their issues (despite the positive advertising), and I honestly don't see it being a practical mod.