PDA

View Full Version : Saving new dyno tune on Xcal2?

Taemian
09-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Heya Lidio,

I have a Trilogy with your tune via Xcal2, and am upgrading the headers to 3" SW headers and high flow cats. I realize that things may lean out a bit, so I will be geting a dyno tune here in Canada at a decent speed shop, along with another member who has the exact same mods.

I still want to have your base Trilogy tune in my SCT, and just get them to make the changes they need. Can they write over two of the non-Trilogy tunes that is left in my SCT, or do you have some type of lockout?

I'd like to have a 91/93 octane tune setup with the Trilogy/bigger exhaust/CAI, and I know that requires a custom tune.

Is this possible? I bought the SCT directly from you with 2 n/a tunes and the base Trilogy tune already loaded.

Thanks for any light you can shed for me!

red
09-19-2008, 06:42 PM
I realize that things may lean out a bit
Why are you saying things may lean out? On MAF-based setups, it'll detect the extra airflow and should account for it accordingly. On speed density (MAP-based) setups, increases in volumetric efficiency (e.g., due to the addition of headers) cannot be detected since it has no sensor for measuring engine airflow and this can lead to leaning out / knock. With that said, you should still dyno it and check your A/F.

KillJoy
09-19-2008, 06:45 PM
My air/fuel DID NOT change when I had LT's installed....... FWIW

KillJoy

Zack
09-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Unless you have the original .mtf or zcf file to give your tuner, he will have to start from scratch.
Keep in mind... headers or not, you will gain about 30-50rwhp from a custom tune.

Taemian
09-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Unless you have the original .mtf or zcf file to give your tuner, he will have to start from scratch.
Keep in mind... headers or not, you will gain about 30-50rwhp from a custom tune.

Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure all the "goodies" like alt shutoff/trans shift data/rear cat sensor off/etc stays the same. I've never editted my SCT tune in any way, so I've no idea what format it is in or how it is organized.

I guess the dyno shop will only adjust the air/fuel and leave the rest, or does it ALL have to be reprogrammed?:confused:

red
09-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I guess the dyno shop will only adjust the air/fuel and leave the rest, or does it ALL have to be reprogrammed?
This depends on the tuning software they're using. It's possible they'll be able to pull your existing tune, modify it, and write to the PCM, though unlikely they'll be able to get it back into .ll3 format with their modifications.

Local Boy
09-20-2008, 05:27 PM
It's been my experience that the owners of the tune, lock out anyone wanting to adjust it...

It's understandable...it is their product...

I believe you will have to start from scratch...Yes, all of it....

I had to...with my custom tune...

ALOHA

Taemian
09-20-2008, 11:23 PM
It's been my experience that the owners of the tune, lock out anyone wanting to adjust it...

It's understandable...it is their product...

I believe you will have to start from scratch...Yes, all of it....

I had to...with my custom tune...

ALOHA

Well that sucks. Is there some type of open information available about a good trans line pressure number, and other stuff like that? I'm not trying to steal anyone's program, just keep the good stuff and add more......

OR.... Do I just keep the Lidio tune (since you all say the A/F will be ok) and just see if the BAP needs to be fine-tuned via the dial?

Zack
09-21-2008, 05:38 AM
If you want a stock Trilogy tune, I have one.

red
09-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Well that sucks. Is there some type of open information available about a good trans line pressure number, and other stuff like that? I'm not trying to steal anyone's program, just keep the good stuff and add more......
I think you should start a thread on transmission parameters in the tuning forum. Then we can all discuss freely.

OR.... Do I just keep the Lidio tune (since you all say the A/F will be ok) and just see if the BAP needs to be fine-tuned via the dial?
When you add long tube headers, your HEGO's transport delay should be increased since the HEGOs are moved further away from the cylinder head. Personally, I drove around for a while without updating it, and the only effect appeared to be a slight enrichment. Again, as I recommended above, you should still get the car on a dyno to at least sanity check the A/F.