PDA

View Full Version : Zaino?

Petrograde
09-07-2003, 05:46 PM
I heard people talk about Zaino Bros. car wax. I've checked out their web site, it seems like a hell of alot of work. Not too mention it's a little pricey.

So I guess my question is this: is it worth the time and money? I've heard some people say that they like it, does anyone out not like it?

I'm not afraid to spend time waxing my car, .. but, like I said, It sure seems like alot of coats!

Thanks.

marchyde
09-07-2003, 05:55 PM
My dad uses it on his Town Car. He said he likes it, however he does not like all of the work / effort to do it properly. Once its all gone he said that he will not be getting anymore.

Mikeenh
09-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Any wax can be work IF you do it right the first time. Zaino starts you out clean & fresh with the Dawn soap strip. You decide how many layers of wax you want after that. I've used MANY waxes over the years. I love the Zaino. Once you get your base coat on, it's a breeze to wax.Goes on and off with no effort. Gurureports.com tested 46 waxes. Zaino came out #1.

Mad1
09-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Petrograde
So I guess my question is this: is it worth the time and money? I've heard some people say that they like it, does anyone out not like it?

I washed my car today: put two coats of Zaino on, detailed the interior with the leather treatment, washed the windows and put the gloss on last ... total time: 2 hours. The result: beautiful.

I didn't even miss any football. The longest wait was between the wash and putting the first coat of was on. (With the accelerator fixer, it only takes a half-hour for the wax coat to dry.)

Sure, it took a lot of time the very first go round, but Zaino has been fairly maintenance-free since then. (Unless I decide to try blinding people with how shiny I can make it. Hmmm!)

Do it, I don't regret the $100 investment.

Mad1

Petrograde
09-07-2003, 07:56 PM
hmmm,... ok. Can you buy it at any retailers? or do you have to get it online?

TAF
09-07-2003, 07:56 PM
I don't care what ANYONE says...the Zaino products will outperform ANY other choice....period!

03MERCMARAUDER
09-07-2003, 10:51 PM
I have used zaino it it does do a good job but I will stick with the product i use

O's Fan Rich
09-08-2003, 06:15 AM
I have yet to do the job. I'm waiting for the Hershey get together. That way she looks real good.

SheboyganGuy
09-08-2003, 06:38 AM
I use Zaino on both of my cars (the truck is being traded off this week, so no Zaino for him!). The part that takes the longest is the prep work: Dawn Dishsoap wash, and then the clay bar treatment. After that, I can wash the car, and put on a coat of Zaino in about an hour and a half. I've never used a product that went on AND off so easily. Highly recommended!

67435animal
09-08-2003, 07:31 AM
The main thing is to keep your car clean, avoid any abrasion and remove all stains ASAP. I use Meguiar's products and have been for 20 years. I tried Zaino on my Corvette and it made absolutely no difference at all in the finish. So, I am sticking with Meguiar's. Their products are widely available and cost much less than Zaino.

I have friends who swear by Zaino but, I'm sold on what works for me.

Try different products and see what works for you and stick with it.

Bob

Petrograde
09-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks Bob,
I use Maguire's too, everyday I'm out there with the car duster and quick detailer. I like it, while it lasts.

Racerx88
09-08-2003, 07:49 AM
If you don't mind the extra work, use Zaino. Petrograde, they're usually at some of the cruises around here with a display (They were at the Chucks cruise on AUg. 16). Otherwise, I prefer Zymol. Goes on good, long lasting, and it smells good too!

RF Overlord
09-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Racerx88
I prefer Zymol...and it smells good too!

For smelling, I prefer Testors 3516X Cement for Plastic Models, in the 7/8 oz. tube...or sometimes for a change of pace, Hercules PVC Cement...in the blue-label can...

Petrograde
09-08-2003, 08:09 AM
:lol: :lol: RF that's funny! :lol: :lol:

tomd
09-08-2003, 08:10 AM
I’ve used Zaino and it is great, it’s not that hard to work with unless you start with the clay bar, which I didn’t. BUT if you have swirl marks like I do Z-5™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches will only cover them for about 5 to 7 automatic car washes. YES I know I shouldn’t take her to an automatic car wash but I use my car for business so I have to keep it clean which means 1 or 2 trip a week to have her washed.

Since this is the first black car I have ever owned I really can’t say if other waxes would make her look this good.

Have fun!

Petrograde
09-08-2003, 09:17 AM
OK,... thank you for the input everyone! I just dropped 100 bucks at the website, I hope it's here by the weekend!

RF Overlord
09-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by tomd
BUT if you have swirl marks like I do Z-5™ Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches will only cover them for about 5 to 7 automatic car washes.

tom:

In talking with Sal Zaino, he recommended using the Z-5 only until the swirl marks are sufficiently reduced, then finishing with Z-2 as a top coat...that should last a bit longer...I had to do 3 coats of Z-5, then I put on 2 coats of Z-2...he says you can switch back and forth as much as you like, but should follow up any applications of Z-5 with Z-2 as the final coat...

jgc61sr2002
09-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Used numerous wax products over the years. My MM is always garaged so it's hard to tell the longevity of Zaino products. We did my son's car (a Black Maxima) with Zaino and it really seems to hold up. Recommend their products, easy on and off.:up:

the fat bastid
09-08-2003, 05:45 PM
zaino is god.

Logan
09-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey Petro... FYI, you can pick Zaino up locally at any of the Saturday night Chuck's cruises around DFW and there's a detailing shop about 2 blocks south of 183 on Beltline that stocks it for the local distributor, Steve Pazstor.

Petrograde
09-08-2003, 07:54 PM
lol,... Thanks Logan, but patience is not one of my virtues. :rolleyes: After I read a few rave reviews, I went to the site and ordered it.

But the good news is: I just got an e-mail from Zaino, the stuff is en route!

but, noted for future reference!

SheboyganGuy
09-08-2003, 09:50 PM
The final coat should be Z-2...followed by Z-6, naturally...

Don't forget Z-10 - Leather in a Bottle. It does wonders for the leather seats..........

Logan
09-09-2003, 06:12 AM
Z10 is the ****zle nizzle. :)

tomd
09-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
tom:

In talking with Sal Zaino, he recommended using the Z-5 only until the swirl marks are sufficiently reduced, then finishing with Z-2 as a top coat...that should last a bit longer...I had to do 3 coats of Z-5, then I put on 2 coats of Z-2...he says you can switch back and forth as much as you like, but should follow up any applications of Z-5 with Z-2 as the final coat...

Thanks RF Overlord

I did use it until I couldn’t see the swirl marks anymore but they keep coming back. Am sure the Z-5 would last a lot longer if I didn’t take it thru a car washes that use a high alkaline soap. It is a great polish! OH the Shine!

One good thing, I did find the detail shop who made my car look super after the 1st body shop left it with swirl marks :eek: :mad2: (it was horrible!) from bumper to bumper.

She's at the shop today!
:D :rock: :cool4: :bows:

Petrograde
09-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Well, the good 'ol UPS guy just droped off my Zaino. I think I'll get up early and try it out!

Perhaps I'll post a few pics.

TAF
09-10-2003, 03:40 PM
If you need any help...let us know. You're gonna LOVE it!!!!

Petrograde
09-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Yes I do !!!!!:up: I just got done with my first 2 coats, WOW! My MM actually looks better than the day I picked it up! You guys were not BS'ing about how good this stuff is!

I got the stuff 3 days ago and today was the first chance I've had to use it, thanks to crappy weather we've had in DFW lately.

Out of curiosity.... I know you're not supposed to use more than 3 coats in a 24 hour period, but how may coats can go on total? at some point do you have to strip it and start over?

Thanks! :D

TAF
09-13-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Petrograde
Out of curiosity.... I know you're not supposed to use more than 3 coats in a 24 hour period, but how may coats can go on total? at some point do you have to strip it and start over?

Thanks! :D

We would never lie to you Petro. Glad you took the step.
The answer to your question is No. I did what you just did on Labor day of '02. All I've done since is wash with the Zaino Wash and occasionally use the Z-6 after. You can use the Z-5 for any scratches or swirl marks that may develop, and add coats whenever you like. always making sure the last coat on the car is Z-2...Just not more than 3 coats of Z-2 in 24 hours.

Did you get the leather cleaner and protectant for the interior? And the tire stuff? Both of those are EXCELLENT, as well.:up:

Petrograde
09-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Yup, I got the Z-10 for leather, I haven't used it yet. I figured 8 hours on the car was enough. I used the tire stuff. All I can say is WOW!

If you will excuse me, I have beer to drink!

jgc61sr2002
09-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Petro - What RF said. He is the answer man.:D

Long Live #3
09-13-2003, 04:24 PM
Kevin, my friend, was at Texas for 3 weeks. His dad never washed the MM while he was gone. It looked like it went through a mud hole. He washed it the day he got back with Zaino and it looked like it just came right off the trailer! I was so impressed that I asked him to wash my '83 Olds! As old as that car is, I thought it would never get clean. As soon as he was done it looked brand new. Now we wash the car almost every week with Zaino. It's the only brand that I trust.

Long Live #3
09-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by SheboyganGuy
Don't forget Z-10 - Leather in a Bottle. It does wonders for the leather seats..........

I know! When Kevin put Z-10 on his seats it felt like I was on ice! I was literally sliding out of the seat!

Agent M79
09-13-2003, 10:33 PM
I've read the faqs on the Zaino site. These guys are insane! I am glad there are guys out there putting this much thought into making a car look good so I don't have too. That's true dedication there. I love the cotton towel faq!

Petrograde
09-13-2003, 11:28 PM
Hell Yeah, Agent!
I followed the Zaino Bros. directions to a tee. I couldn't be more happy with the results!!!:up: This product is simply AWESOME!

The only downfall is, .. it brings out my imperfections. The kind that Z-5 can't fix. But, hey! It's not very conspicuous, nothing a $8000 paint job won't fix with PPG Cadzilla Black!

Petrograde
03-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I STILL love Zaino..

**we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming**

:P

Marauder2005
03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
LOL was reading page by page till I saw "9-12-2003" LOL!!!

Zaino, nothing even comes close!

Agent M79
03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Heh. I gave the car it's first wash of the season after a good long time without. When I opened my car-stuff cabinet, there was a bunch of Zaino product looking back at me. Joy!

Then I had to wash the mini-van. That'll take the wind outta yer sails quick. I thought the MM was big. Yeesh.

not5-0
03-14-2006, 07:21 AM
I have used Zymol carbon on my black cars since 1988. I tried zaino about 2 months ago and thought it did a very good job but did not notice a difference from the Zymol. Since the Zymol is cheaper and easier to apply, I am sticking to it.