PDA

View Full Version : Roof Painting Party! The Offical Thread

Go Mifuni
09-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Roof Painting Party!

When: Oct 18
Time: Dunno yet. It's up to Thunderbolt.
Where: PM me for directions (this way I get a head count. Clever, huh?)

Of course, this is pending weather problems or other unforseen, uncontrollable issues.

Rocknthehawk
09-28-2008, 03:16 AM
I'll be there! Dunno how i missed this thread.

Time...not sure. Whenever works for me. Earlier is better, just in case there's a problem it's not late and we have daylight.

Just curious...did you ever sell that musclebike you had Mike?

Go Mifuni
09-29-2008, 04:19 AM
I'll be there! Dunno how i missed this thread.

Time...not sure. Whenever works for me. Earlier is better, just in case there's a problem it's not late and we have daylight.

Just curious...did you ever sell that musclebike you had Mike?

Musclebike? You mean my Shadow? Nope, not yet.
I actually listed it on craigslist last week. I'm gonna get a pic loaded later today. http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/856417936.html

Rocknthehawk
09-29-2008, 06:57 AM
No no, the bicycle you had?

Go Mifuni
09-29-2008, 07:14 AM

Oh. No, I don't have it anymore. I ended up bringing it back to REI and got what I paid for it. I love that store!

Egon Spengler
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
I knew what you were talking about

Rocknthehawk
09-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I knew what you were talking about

Are you coming to the RPP?

Go Mifuni
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

Raudermaster
10-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Maybe I'll show up with my big bad F150.

Go Mifuni
10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey Thunderbolt. Are we still on? What time works for you. Your call.

Egon Spengler
10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Are you coming to the RPP?

I might make an appearance... Mike (Bob) only lives like 15 minutes from me so if I have some time to kill I might pop in... I know where heeeeeee liiiiiiiivesssss.... muah hahahaha

hot-rauder
10-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I might make an appearance... Mike (Bob) only lives like 15 minutes from me so if I have some time to kill I might pop in... I know where heeeeeee liiiiiiiivesssss.... muah hahahaha

its Rob not Bob.

no wonder no one invites you lmao jk bud:beer:

Go Mifuni
10-13-2008, 01:05 PM
its Rob not Bob.

no wonder no one invites you lmao jk bud:beer:

LMAO :lol:

Rocknthehawk
10-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey Thunderbolt. Are we still on? What time works for you. Your call.

Yes we're still on.

Is blackice still planning on getting painted?

I'll have a definite price for you tomorrow

Hmm...how does...say... 3 work? I had forgot I work that morning, so it gives me a couple hours to catch some zzz's

Go Mifuni
10-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Yes we're still on.

Is blackice still planning on getting painted?

I'll have a definite price for you tomorrow

Hmm...how does...say... 3 work? I had forgot I work that morning, so it gives me a couple hours to catch some zzz's

I have no idea. HEY BLACKICE!!!!! Think he heard me?
3 o'clock is fine. That gives me more set-up time.

Rocknthehawk
10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
I have no idea. HEY BLACKICE!!!!! Think he heard me?
3 o'clock is fine. That gives me more set-up time.

Good good...i work friday night from 10-7, then from 8-noon saturday, so I need a short break to catch some z's.

BlackIce
10-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Well I must have heard you guys because I forgot about this thread until tonight :lol:

I just need to check with the lady that we don't have something planned already, will post back tomorrow with a confirmation one way or another.

Go Mifuni, can you let me know what you come up with for a price? Thx.

Rocknthehawk
10-14-2008, 10:44 AM
you will both have a pm's with the cost. If there's a problem let me know.

Blackice, I need a definite yes/no by thursday (friday morning at the absolute latest), So I know how much paint to pick up.

Go Mifuni
10-16-2008, 07:26 AM
I know I'm asking for a lot here, considering this group (lol), but it would be nice to get an approximate head count so we know how much food to prepare. Mmmmm...farm fresh sausages on the grill. :drool:
The invite is open, just let me know.

Rocknthehawk
10-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Mike, you DO have an air compressor, correct?

If yes, how big? A paint gun flows a lot of air

Go Mifuni
10-16-2008, 08:04 AM
I do. How much pressure do you need? The tank is about 2.5' long and 1.5' in diameter.

Rocknthehawk
10-16-2008, 08:11 AM
Do you know the brand/horsepower?

Fortunately a roof isn't all that big to paint, so it doesn't need to be huge to have enough air. I'll bring both guns in case

Go Mifuni
10-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Do you know the brand/horsepower?

Fortunately a roof isn't all that big to paint, so it doesn't need to be huge to have enough air. I'll bring both guns in case

It's an oldie, twin cylinder I think. I actually started it for the first time yesterday at lunch lol. A friend gave it to me a few years ago (an excuse to his girlfriend so he could buy a new one) and it's just been sitting in my garage. I noticed the line going from the tank to the regulator was disconnected so I grabbed a compression fitting from work and will fire it up again at lunch and see what she'll get up to.

Egon Spengler
10-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Looks like it is going to be a nice cool day with dry air... good painting day!

Rocknthehawk
10-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Looks like it is going to be a nice cool day with dry air... good painting day!

You gonna be there Tom?

I'll ask my brother about borrowing his compressor just in case. It wouldn't hurt to have both

Egon Spengler
10-16-2008, 09:14 AM
I might be able to drop in for a couple minutes, but I don't think I can stick around for a long time...

FYI: Stafford Car Swap meet is this Sunday and Bikes are next Sunday!

hot-rauder
10-16-2008, 01:52 PM
hmm... Jarod and I were supposed to go test drive more cars. we'll see which one happens for me....

Rocknthehawk
10-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Hmmm...what is this for?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/100_1254.jpg

Egon Spengler
10-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Dinner?

sd8683
10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Hmmm...what is this for?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/100_1254.jpg
Manicure??????

KillJoy
10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Why are we painting a roof?

:dunno:

KillJoy

Egon Spengler
10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
If you saw the roofs on these two cars, you would know exactly why!!!

KillJoy

Rocknthehawk
10-17-2008, 02:44 PM

KillJoy

Marauder roofs...paint peeling....enough said

hot-rauder
10-17-2008, 05:52 PM

KillJoy

you should attend Steve lol:beer:

KillJoy
10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
you should attend Steve lol:beer:

Sure..... fly me there and back, and provide 4 star+ food and lodging, and I can supervise!

:up:

KillJoy

Raudermaster
10-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Man Steve, you want good accomodations. How about a Bates Motel and BK? :lol: :beer:

Rocknthehawk
10-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Sure..... fly me there and back, and provide 4 star+ food and lodging, and I can supervise!

:up:

KillJoy

Steve...you could drive the car out here...and fly home...

KillJoy
10-18-2008, 05:44 AM
Steve...you could drive the car out here...and fly home...

I am SURE something like that COULD be arranged!

:D

KillJoy

Rocknthehawk
10-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I am SURE something like that COULD be arranged!

:D

KillJoy

If I had any way of affording your car, I'd have it already.

It would be nice having a faster MM than Jaro....oh...wait...

Egon Spengler
10-18-2008, 04:29 PM
So how did you guys make out? Sorry I couldn't make it out there, I went to bed at 5am this morning! Lets just say it was a good night lol... sorry guys

Rocknthehawk
10-18-2008, 06:37 PM
So how did you guys make out? Sorry I couldn't make it out there, I went to bed at 5am this morning! Lets just say it was a good night lol... sorry guys

With a little tongue...

Really, It's been rescheduled for tomorrow (Sunday) at my house. We had planned on doing it at Mikes, but it didn't work out so easily, so we're relocating. Mike's car is sitting comfortably next to my show truck, where i will begin/finish fixing it tomorrow.

I think i've figured out the problem. The paint is THICK. The paint on BlackIce's car isn't as bad. Paint should be as thick as...say...heavy paper. Like a few sheets of construction paper. The paint on Mike's roof is like...1/8" thick or so. Paint cures from the outside in, so while it was fine for a while, eventually the chemicals that "breathe" (evaporate) from the inside out, didn't have anywhere to go. This is what caused the paint blisters. It was too thick, hardened on the outside in, and never gave the inside enough time to dry, so the evaporating chemicals simply push the layers of paint up until it cracks and breathes.

To give a better idea (without picutes yet), I can't simply sand down the roof with a DA (random orbital), I actually have to use a grinder to feather the paint back.

hot-rauder
10-19-2008, 09:04 AM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z302/blkmarauder/roofpaint1.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z302/blkmarauder/roofpaint2.jpg

Egon Spengler
10-20-2008, 01:29 PM
awfully quiet here... pics on how it came out!!?!?!?!

Rocknthehawk
10-20-2008, 04:36 PM
awfully quiet here... pics on how it came out!!?!?!?!

Change of plans again. That reminds me to PM BlackIce.

Mike's roof is in primer. I secured a paint booth for later this week to spray it correctly.

Go Mifuni
10-21-2008, 05:10 AM
Change of plans again. That reminds me to PM BlackIce.

Mike's roof is in primer. I secured a paint booth for later this week to spray it correctly.

Even in primer it looks better than it did lol.

Egon Spengler
10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
no offense, but I kind of had a feeling that you guys would need a booth to do it to the quality that I would want it done to.

I know whose car that is in the pics!!! When I saw that roof for the first time my jaw dropped!

Go Mifuni
10-21-2008, 06:36 AM
no offense, but I kind of had a feeling that you guys would need a booth to do it to the quality that I would want it done to.

I know whose car that is in the pics!!! When I saw that roof for the first time my jaw dropped!

Well, I have no doubts Aaron could have done a great job painting outside, but inside will definitely be easier. I feel a bit bad as he had originally thought this was going to be a 3 hour job, but once he got into it and saw the thickness of the paint as well as the hidden rust bubbles that hadn't shown themselves yet, it turned into a 3 DAY job.

TiTo35
10-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Had I known this thread was about painting Marauder roofs...I would have BEEN there!!!

Go Mifuni
10-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Had I known this thread was about painting Marauder roofs...I would have BEEN there!!!

Does your roof look like crap too?
Mines gray right now, but at least it's smooooooth again lol.

TiTo35
10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Does your roof look like crap too?
Mines gray right now, but at least it's smooooooth again lol.

Umm...what would be worse then crap?:mad:

Egon Spengler
10-21-2008, 07:47 AM
I am sure that he is a talented cat, but I had a feeling that it would need to be done in a better area

Rocknthehawk
10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Even in primer it looks better than it did lol.

Very true...

I feel badly we've had to reschedule and move around so much...yesterday would have been a decent day to spray, but securing the booth means we can do it right, the first time.

Mike, i hope you don't mind, i had to move the car to my upper driveway to hose off as much dust as I could...I didn't move your seat (i did sit on the edge haha!)....I must say....the 4.10's are a HUGE difference...I noticed just backing it out of the driveway!!

Go Mifuni
10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Very true...

I feel badly we've had to reschedule and move around so much...yesterday would have been a decent day to spray, but securing the booth means we can do it right, the first time.

Mike, i hope you don't mind, i had to move the car to my upper driveway to hose off as much dust as I could...I didn't move your seat (i did sit on the edge haha!)....I must say....the 4.10's are a HUGE difference...I noticed just backing it out of the driveway!!

You should have taken her out on 12 to feel the 4.10's. THAT would have blown the dust off. :lol:

Don't feel bad about anything. You've gone WAAAAY over what you thought this project was originally going to entail and I really appreciate all that you're doing. :bows::bows::bows:

BlackIce
10-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Hey Mike,

One of these days when we all get together again for whatever reason, you think you could spare me a ride in yours? I'm feelin' a hankering for some 4.10's in the spring :D

Go Mifuni
10-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey Mike,

One of these days when we all get together again for whatever reason, you think you could spare me a ride in yours? I'm feelin' a hankering for some 4.10's in the spring :D

No problem. Maybe we could try to do something before the snow flies and everyone puts on there steelies.

Egon Spengler
10-21-2008, 03:00 PM
No problem. Maybe we could try to do something before the snow flies and everyone puts on there steelies.

Steelies!?!?! I don't have steelies!
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/7/8/6/6/FullView.jpg

hot-rauder
10-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Steelies!?!?! I don't have steelies!
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/7/8/6/6/FullView.jpg

looks like you are driving a Grand Marquis homie!

Egon Spengler
10-21-2008, 03:45 PM
looks like you are driving a Grand Marquis homie!

I know I hate it!!!! Nobody looks at my car with those wheels on it lol

hot-rauder
10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I know I hate it!!!! Nobody looks at my car with those wheels on it lol

well no one ever sees you anyways! hey yous should come up to hang out when miuke picks up the MM.... maybe we'll all go out to eat or something, maybe Dom will com and possibly Sean would want to take a drive lol

Rocknthehawk
10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Done.

It took about 15 hours, but it's done..for now. It needs to cure, and then we'll cut and buff it and it should turn out pretty ok.

I'm not real happy with it....I did my best with what I had. My gun gave my problems, the primer/base gave me problems...but it is what it is. I was hoping for perfection, but i feel i let myself down. I apologize Mike.

I hope its OK Mike. Let me know if there's anything else I can do (and yes, I am serious, I feel after dirtying your car so much, I owe it to you to wax and claybar it).

Dom, I've sent you a PM (right after posting this).

Rocknthehawk
10-24-2008, 04:11 PM
I did snap a few during pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/100_1270.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/100_1273.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/100_1275.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/rocknthehawk/100_1272.jpg

hot-rauder
10-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Looks good. By the way guys this is my first post on my BlackBerry! I got bored and came on here. I know I type better on this than I do on a computer lol

Go Mifuni
10-25-2008, 04:30 AM
Done.

It took about 15 hours, but it's done..for now. It needs to cure, and then we'll cut and buff it and it should turn out pretty ok.

I'm not real happy with it....I did my best with what I had. My gun gave my problems, the primer/base gave me problems...but it is what it is. I was hoping for perfection, but i feel i let myself down. I apologize Mike.

I hope its OK Mike. Let me know if there's anything else I can do (and yes, I am serious, I feel after dirtying your car so much, I owe it to you to wax and claybar it).

Dom, I've sent you a PM (right after posting this).

Thanks again Aaron, for all your efforts; especially after originally thinking this was going to be a quick 3hr sand 'n spray. Once the paint has cured a cut and buff sounds good. As far as the detailing, I would rather you do it WITH me so I can see how the "professionals" do it. You know, the old give a man a fish; teach him how to fish thing.

Oh, and let this little episode be a lesson to those who have the same problem with their roofs and want to tackle the problem themselves. I had, a few months ago, picked up some paper and paint to try and do just that. I'm glad I didn't, as I would have opened a HUGE can of worms.

Thanks again Aaron. :beer:

Now go get some sleep!