PDA

View Full Version : alright, this is my first time, so advice is awesome

offroadking208
09-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Ok guys, this friday i am going to the strip for the first time. Any advice on achieving the best 1/4 mile times? I know about loading the suspension, but dont have a tach so it is just kinda guess work, but any advice is great.
Thanks mucho,
J. Hubbard

justbob
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
1 do at least one John Force burnout to get it out of your system
2 Leave at last yellow
3 don't let off
4 enjoy

Just lots of practice.

offroadking208
09-29-2008, 05:31 PM
lol, i will keep those in mind. Any requirements or does that depend on the track? Its an amateur night so idk if ill need a helmet or anything fun like that. I know long pants are a good idea from what ive read, don't run the A/C because it'll drip on the track and get everything slick, avoid the water/bleach pit because street tires will pick it up and make the tires slick and wet the track down.

TJCOX
09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
No tank tops @ O.R.P. if this is where you're racing! Remove spare tire?
Traction compound helps if the track applies it.
Good Luck!

Green96
09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Don't give him all the secrets, I am thinking of taking the Thunderturd.

fastblackmerc
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
A/C off
T/C off
O/D off
Windows up
Any extra weight leave in the pits
1/4 to 1/2 tank of gass
You can remove the left headlight for more airflow
Street tires = no burnout box, go around it and do a short burnout to clean the tires
Power brake up to 2400 - 2800RPM to flash / load the converter
When the yellow light goes off floor it

Good Luck!

justbob
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Long pants are required, helmut if under fourteen sec., windows up, a/c off, water don't matter at some tracks just see what everyone else is doing. If you don't have a problem smoking the tires then first try avoiding the water box. The track i usaully go to has you back up into the box no matter what tires you have but its your choice to go in on just straighten out the car and do a dry one. Just make sure and follow all signs given to you by the track officials. Sit back and watch the way things operate first before you dive in.

Mostly remember to pay attention to everything going on and have fun.

offroadking208
09-29-2008, 07:16 PM
lol, i hope you bring the thunderturd Green96, it should be a fun meet. I have a friend thats bringing a 71 Cutlass. Any thoughts on who ive got a better chance against? The Thunderbird or the Cutlass?

offroadking208
09-29-2008, 08:39 PM
lol, and Green, i didn't know you LIVED in Muncie. Im going to BSU so im here all the time. We'll have to get together sometime (assuming you don't make it friday) and you can show me the Marauder :-)

Motorhead350
09-29-2008, 10:06 PM
DO NOT burnout your stock tires. It will cause more harm than benefit. There is no benefit to burning out the stock tires actually. It will be harder to hook and will have them worn out before you can say intake manufold. FastBlackMerc said it best, but if it's a long drive be sure to have some cool off time before you race if you want the best times. My drives are always at least an hour and fifteen minutes and I usually let the car cool for at least 30 minutes, but 45 is better. When you cool it down keep the hood open if possible, unless the crowd doesn't look too trusting. Bring your rear tire pressure down too, but I'm not sure what a stock tire should be at if you are running with those.

Vortech347
09-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Don't drop your rear air pressure to much with normal radials. Put them to about 25ish and the fronts at 45 if you're trying to get every hundredth.

offroadking208
09-30-2008, 08:36 AM
DO NOT burnout your stock tires. It will cause more harm than benefit. There is no benefit to burning out the stock tires actually. It will be harder to hook and will have them worn out before you can say intake manufold. FastBlackMerc said it best, but if it's a long drive be sure to have some cool off time before you race if you want the best times. My drives are always at least an hour and fifteen minutes and I usually let the car cool for at least 30 minutes, but 45 is better. When you cool it down keep the hood open if possible, unless the crowd doesn't look too trusting. Bring your rear tire pressure down too, but I'm not sure what a stock tire should be at if you are running with those.

lol, well the track is like 10 minutes away from me so i am guessing that that would be just the right amount of warm-up time for the car. And im gonna have most of my friends there with me, so i don't think popping the hood will be a problem.

Vortech347
09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
All the Dyno' runs I've done the car seems to make more power when its at the correct operating temp.

justbob
09-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I have tried everything from a couple snaps of the throttle to get the dust and debry off to dry burnouts to wet obnoctious burnouts with street tires and honestly for me it deponds on track prep and temps for optimal grip. I have been out in 50 degree temp and it was better doing a dry burnout and when it was 90 it was best just to snap it a couple times to test it.

P.S. this will be a good test on your diff clutchs.

offroadking208
09-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Should be about 65 degrees that night, which would be nice for my CAI, and ive thought about removing the left headlight to get more airflow outta it, but unless it comes down to something and we're REALLLY close at the end, i may try and run again with the headlight out. Im just in it to have some fun and get some experience. Hopefully ill make my down to SSHS8 to observe, but if not, at least i GOT some track time somewhere :)