PDA

View Full Version : Can't read characters on display.

Todd
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I have the Scangauge II and rarely drive the car. It sits in the garage so not much sun exposure.

I noticed the last two times I drove the car the characters are very faint. Almost like a contrast adjustment is out of whack. I tried all color settings and looked though the rest of the menu and I didnt see anything that helped.

Is there a way to adjust it?????

fastblackmerc
10-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Mine stays outside all the time and I've never had a problem reading the screen. Try reseating the cable in the OBDII port.

Todd
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Did that multiple times..... Nothing changes it. Still same display issue.

BruteForce
10-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I have the same crappy contrast. Just learned to live with it. :o

Dennis Reinhart
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
It is very easy to fix and its on the site

Zack
10-01-2008, 04:56 PM
We are not talking about Aeroforce gauges. :puke:

Todd
10-01-2008, 05:00 PM
I have the same crappy contrast. Just learned to live with it. :o

Normally I would say I agree. But it had been much better. Very readable. Now I can basically not read it at all. Unless I tilt it at a serious angle and then I can make it out.

But before, it was very, very readable.

I see Dennis mentioned a fix on their site. I will check that out now. Thanks Dennis.

Todd
10-01-2008, 05:03 PM
We are not talking about Aeroforce gauges. :puke:

Try moving your aeroforce gauges between cars quickly. Not a chance. I have multiple cars as you do. I like mobility.

Zack
10-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Try moving your aeroforce gauges between cars quickly. Not a chance. I have multiple cars as you do. I like mobility.

My post was directed at Reinhart, who once again failed to read any words in the post before blurting out a pointless answer.

Todd
10-01-2008, 05:15 PM
My post was directed at Reinhart, who once again failed to read any words in the post before blurting out a pointless answer.

Oh, Sorry Zack. :o

Todd
10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Nothing about this mentioned on the Scan Guage site.

Guess this will be my second failure. The first would just shut down at random times. They sent me one right out very quickly and didnt even ask for my original back till I got the new one. Hope they will do the same this time.

magindat
10-01-2008, 05:19 PM

Guess this will be my second failure. The first would just shut down at random times. They sent me one right out very quickly and didnt even ask for my original back till I got the new one. Hope they will do the same this time.

This would account for the difference in price...

Although you got me on the portability issue....

Zack
10-01-2008, 05:25 PM

Mine does the same thing.

MM03MOK
10-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Manual found on ScanGauge's website:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/SGIIManual.pdf

Page 13:

The ScanGaugeII has an operating temperature range of 0

°F to +160°F (-18°C to 71°C). At higher temperatures, the display will become dark and difficult to read. At lower temperatures, the contrast will be reduced and the characters will change more slowly. As long as the temperature doesn’t exceed –22°F to 176°F (-30°C to +80°C), the display will return to normal operation when the ScanGaugeII temperature returns to the normal operating temperature range.

Page 12:

MORE>DISPLAY>MORE

<COLOR<B>-PRG USER COLOR-

-COLOR CONTRAST>

The online manual doesn't give any more details about Contrast and the manual that came with the unit doesn't show Contrast in the same picture on page 13. Play with it and see what you find. Please let us know.

And, Zack? Shut up!

ctrlraven
10-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Mine has displayed the characters really weird once. Unplugged it and plugged it back in after 15 secs and it was fine.

Todd
10-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks Bunny...

I am fairly sure I went through every menu option trying all combinations to see if anything made it better. Nothing worked. But I do not recall seeing an option specifically for Contrast so I will look again just in case.

I will call Linear Logic today or tomorrow since it looks like they dont frequent this forum.

PS I tried reconnecting the unit via the plug at the display and at the odb port. No help. I tried the side and back ports on the display as well.

MM03MOK
10-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Todd, I just received an email from Linear Logic.....

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: "MercuryMarauder.net Forums" <MM.NET@MERCURYMARAUDER.NET>
Sent: Friday, October 3, 2008 5:20:50 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: New Post/Thread Notification: Linear Logic

Unfortunately there is no way to adjust the contrast on the ScanGauge.
However if the screen seems to be abnormally faint it could be failing, in
which case we can repair the display if it is sent to:

Attn: Warranty Repair
2222 S. Dobson Rd
STE 800
Mesa, AZ 85202

With a description indicating the screen is faint, and the desired return
address.

Regards,

James DeLong
Linear Logic LLC
Operations Manager

Todd
10-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Thank you Bunny. I appreciate you following up on that for me. I will ship it out to them this coming week.

MM03MOK
10-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Thank you Bunny. I appreciate you following up on that for me. I will ship it out to them this coming week.
Todd....send me your email address and I'll forward the email to you.....might help to include it with the gauge when shipped....

marauder03@comcast.net

:bunny: