PDA

View Full Version : Need tune...please help

Bulten Rauder
10-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm very new to the MM and have recently had the 4.10's and K&N CAI installed. I've also had a local shop tune the car on a Dyno. Stock numbers were 247BHP at the wheels and post tune was 293. The torque increased even better. I love the improvements but wonder if the trans shifts can be improved. The shop gave me a handheld gizmo (SCT X3 Power Flash) that connects under the dash and interfaces with the car. Where can I get something e-mailed from to load into the X3 and flash the car? Would it be better to just make adjustmenets manually with the X3? I'm primarily tryingto improve tranny shifts. I often run the car hard so can you also recommend the interval I should be replacing tranny fluid?

Incidentally, I live mere minutes from where these cars were built in Canada.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Krytin
10-04-2008, 12:43 PM
You could try a site search for "J-mod". This will firm up the transmission shifts. I change the fluid once a year - about 12 - 15K miles because it's only a partial change of fluid due to not having a drain plug in the converter. You may also want to look at a deep pan w/drain plug and an auxiliary oil cooler.

There are tuners that are vendors on this site or post on this site that can help you with a reprogram of shift points.

Nice numbers so far!
Have you talked with your current tuner about the shift points?

Bulten Rauder
10-05-2008, 02:09 PM
You could try a site search for "J-mod". This will firm up the transmission shifts. [/quote]

The firmness is fine stock...I think. I can also adjust that via the X3 later. I was more curious about tuning the tranny because many here at the site have said Zack, among others, have tunes that really smarten up the tranny. This is what I believe I would benefit from. You're right, I should call up my tuner and see what he suggets...I'll do that once I'm back from business travel here in Newfoundland...(no, it's not a make-believe place...haha)

Thanks, Dave

BAD MERC
10-05-2008, 02:42 PM
You could try a site search for "J-mod". This will firm up the transmission shifts. I change the fluid once a year - about 12 - 15K miles because it's only a partial change of fluid due to not having a drain plug in the converter. You may also want to look at a deep pan w/drain plug and an auxiliary oil cooler.

There are tuners that are vendors on this site or post on this site that can help you with a reprogram of shift points.

Nice numbers so far!
Have you talked with your current tuner about the shift points?

I had the power flush done and used 16 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V. I did this at about 30K miles and I have an aux cooler and the Xcal2.

freakstatus
10-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Try Reinhart or Alternative Auto. Both are vendors here. Alternative Auto has a pretty good write up on what their tune does.

Bulten Rauder
10-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Looks like I'll make a call to Dennis Reinhart after talking to my shop. I was hoping some owners would have tried variations on thier own by self programming...I don't want to spend all day and precious 93 octane using trial and error with the shift points. BTW, WOT runs seem solid but half throttle runs cause a strange hesitation in shift 2-3.

There's a shop nearby that replaces ALL the tranny fluid through use of a machine that connects to the tranny lines that even gets the TC! They pour the new fluid (12-16 litres I think) in the clear top container and as the vehicle runs through the gears the old dirty fluid comes in the bottom as the new clean stuff lowers in! It's called Mr. Lube...

What fluid is BEST? Amsoil? Royal Purple? Valvoline? Castrol? Should I add an additive? Is synthetic beneficial?

Thanks, Dave

Dennis Reinhart
10-05-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm very new to the MM and have recently had the 4.10's and K&N CAI installed. I've also had a local shop tune the car on a Dyno. Stock numbers were 247BHP at the wheels and post tune was 293. The torque increased even better. I love the improvements but wonder if the trans shifts can be improved. The shop gave me a handheld gizmo (SCT X3 Power Flash) that connects under the dash and interfaces with the car. Where can I get something e-mailed from to load into the X3 and flash the car? Would it be better to just make adjustmenets manually with the X3? I'm primarily tryingto improve tranny shifts. I often run the car hard so can you also recommend the interval I should be replacing tranny fluid?

Incidentally, I live mere minutes from where these cars were built in Canada.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

David why not give me a call, I think I can help.

sd8683
10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
All you have is a CAI and it dynoed at 293RWHP?

Bulten Rauder
10-06-2008, 07:22 AM

Actually, I'm likely suffering from "inflated HP syndrome". I apologize, it seems unlikely this is accurate. I will obtain the actual results from the shop...I remember distinctly discussing the 247RWHP number initial pulls...I'm thinking post tune was around 265 or so. Bear in mind I'm near sea level and the fuel here is excellent. I know thetorque increased significantly more then the HP...near 300ft/lbs. I'll post the official numbers and dyno model asap.

Dennis, I will call later this week.

bigmerc2003
10-06-2008, 07:25 AM

??????? is it really possible to pick up 46hp with a tune, 4:10's and CAI. if so i need the gears and tune NOW!:banana: the K&N cold air kit was a great improvement, you can really feel the car put you back in the seat after the swap.

Bulten Rauder
10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
OK folks. The actual results from the Dyno-Jet were:

Stock pull (best): 243 RWBHP, 247ft/lbs Torque.
Best tune Pull: 274RWBHP, 290ft/lbs Torque http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif.

Fuel was actually added (mixture) from stock.

The tranny was not tuned, but the SCT baseline tune may have altered from stock?

Dave

HBTMD
10-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Go with Dennis Reinhart. You will be happy you did.:beer:

Vortech347
10-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Dynojets automaticly correct to an SAE standard. No matter where you are the numbers are "supposidly" the same....

So you JUST have a cold air kit and a tune?! I think something is missing... does the engine have higher comp?

I'm confused...

Krytin
10-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Dynojets automaticly correct to an SAE standard. No matter where you are the numbers are "supposidly" the same....

So you JUST have a cold air kit and a tune?! I think something is missing... does the engine have higher comp?

I'm confused...
Check post #11 - those #'s are in the right ballpark for his mods.

Bulten Rauder
10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Check post #11 - those #'s are in the right ballpark for his mods.

That's what I was thinking Krytin...any less and I would be trading her for the Shelby GT500...http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Daver

knine
10-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Check out my times with the same mods. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48134&highlight=popped

scruff
10-26-2008, 12:05 PM
my stock 01 P71 pulled 221rwhp , 264 torque after installing a s/c kit from reinhart the car made 355rwhp , 371 torque safely oh and some ******* rear ended the car last weekend bent the frame just waiting for insurance to write it off now

red
10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Dynojets automaticly correct to an SAE standard.
But they can be set to display STD HP/TQ.

scruff
10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
just add 25% to get STD HP etc

Vortech347
10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Its not that big of a difference. I was playing around on my friends winpep 7 and SAE to STD was about 3hp on my 571rwhp pull's.

I'd be more than happy to get a print out of the differences tonight when I go.