PDA

View Full Version : Tuner and Emissions.

MarauderVOL
10-10-2008, 05:27 AM
I took my car thru emissions yesterday and it failed. Evidently where they plug into the OBII the computers failed to talk to each other thus it failed me. I have a Reinhart tune and Dennis said to return it to stock let the car complete a drive cylce and it should pass then. Then re-install the tune. So for those of you that have this tune do you have to dis-install and re-install everytime before emissions testing?

bob6364
10-10-2008, 05:44 AM
Some of the states are getting crafty if the computer senses anything turned off then it may auto fail you, here in CT they send you a letter a couple of months later saying the car comes thru that way again they will fail you.
All performance tunes turn off the rear O2 sensors, i'm pretty sure thats what the emmissions computer detected,I have a flip chip in my Mustang for this reason ,it is to modified to just use a stock tune so i have another performance tune with everything turned on for this reason.

fastblackmerc
10-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Not a problem here in N.C.

sergio442
10-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Marauder has tune from Dennis passed inspection with no problems

jonroe
10-10-2008, 07:15 AM
no problems so far in VA - Lidio tune

bigmerc2003
10-10-2008, 07:19 AM
youor car is going throught the motions to check all emitions components and then clear the computer saying yes everything is working. the tune should not make a difference, BUT if you have turned off the rear O2 sensors that monitor cat efficiancy, or turn off the erg or several of the emissions components it will not pass becasue not enough of the systems are reading ok. I think the ODB2 emmisions test reads 7 systems and 5 or more must reding ok. Keep driving the car highway and city for a few days then try to take it in again. Your car did not fail it was simply not ready. The reason for this is so that you cant drive across the street, unhook the battery and then retest while the CEL is off.

Dennis Reinhart
10-10-2008, 07:21 AM
I took my car thru emissions yesterday and it failed. Evidently where they plug into the OBII the computers failed to talk to each other thus it failed me. I have a Reinhart tune and Dennis said to return it to stock let the car complete a drive cylce and it should pass then. Then re-install the tune. So for those of you that have this tune do you have to dis-install and re-install everytime before emissions testing?

That is because the rear 02's are off and a couple of other pids are changed, just put the car to stock and put the tune back after the test, or I can make a file with all that you have and it will pass

bigmerc2003
10-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Tennessee must have strict emissions testing. In IL you could have the rear O2's off as long as the other controls were functioning and i know this because I had a mustang gt with long tube headers and a full mac exhaust without cats and the rear O2's off pass just fine. the rear O2's were just listed as not ready

FordNut
10-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Some parts of TN don't even do testing. But most states are getting smarter and testing for more things. GA has been pretty easy until this year, now they check for O2 sensors turned off in the tune.

Bradley G
10-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I just got both Mercs tested, first notice ever for either.
They both passed, Trilogy MM W/ Lidio @ Alternative Auto tweaks and the GMQ HPP with Marauder box&Maf, Zip tube,and Tune Lonnies@BOC and his mail order tune.

Richy04
10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I am in NJ, with a Lidio Tune and I assume the rear O2's are off.. No problem passing.. If the car wasnt ready, they would have told you to come back when it clears the code. They definitely found something if they failed you.