PDA

View Full Version : Leaky rear shock.

Rockettman
10-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Ok...I have read a whole bunch of threads on the "leaky shock thing" (Just found the puddle last night...AARRGGG!). Before I go aout and get replacement shocks, here's some considerations:

1. I don't need a race car ride. My Mustang has that. Don't want it on my MM. But I must, must, must, stay within the stock feel (little harder - little softer - is fine). I don't want a Grandfather's ride but...

2. I am not prepared to spend a small fortune on two shocks.

3. Here in Canada I don't have the availability of all the 100's of different manufacturers that the US has. I kinda want something I can just go grab today as the weather is changing and I want to get in as much driving as I can.

Thanks for any help everyone. :cool4:

Bradley G
10-18-2008, 09:37 AM
I changed out mine @ 60K with OEM. the rear shocks were not leaking, but I have a thumping noise that I thought was a shock issue.
I like the ride that the OEMs have.

CRUZTAKER
10-18-2008, 10:18 AM
My left rear started to leak at around 30k.

Fortunately I have the extended platinum warranty and it was quickly replaced with oem.

The oem shocks seem fine to me, even with some rear suspension mods.

liquid
10-18-2008, 10:23 AM
If you go to the dealership nowadays, you will probably get "right-side up" monotube replacement shocks instead of the "inverted" monotubes that came stock on our cars. Just check the boxes that the parts counter gives you before you accept delivery... if the dust tube is corrugated then it is the inverted type. If the dust tube is straight then it is the right-side-up design that will be more robust than the inverted. The valving and shock performance is the same as it was in '03-04.

Rockettman
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanx guys. Went with stock. Much cheaper than I expected. Can't go wrong with that.

cruzer
10-30-2008, 08:16 PM
The shocks used on all 4 corners from the Grand Marquis P & H package for '03 work fine--slightly softer ride, but no problems. One of our locals has been running them since the car was new.