PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for a new racer

tjl006
10-20-2008, 01:25 PM
I will be going to englishtown in november. Any tips for someone who has never ran the quarter mile before?

twin03
10-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Heat them tires up good brother....................... ....

ImpalaSlayer
10-20-2008, 02:14 PM
car, mods?

ctrlraven
10-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Heat them tires up good brother....................... ....
If he has drag radials yes, if he has stock tires he just needs to spin them to clean them off.

car, mods?
More than likely a MM as we can only hope but yes knowing what mods you have helps.

Paul T. Casey
10-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Not a joke, GO STRAIGHT! Everytime you turn the wheel, even just a little you scrub off speed, and make the track a little longer.
Stock car on stock gears launches best at 1200 to 1500 rpm, depending on track traction.
Turn off OD, traction control, radio, a/c. Roll up windows.
If you have street tires, stay out of the waterbox. If you have race tires, back into the waterbox. Your fronts will drag some water to the start line. It may not affect you, but if there's a fast guy up behind you, you could be saving his life.
On stock tires, adjust pressures to: Front 38-40psi, Rear 22-24psi.
Make sure your ride is well maintained. If you oil the track you'll make a lot of enemies.
Go to the specific track's website and get familiar with their particular ruless.
Be outgoing and ask any racer any questions you have there. Even stuff like turnout lanes, and unwritten track courtesy.
Be prepared to start a new and expensive hobby.

Paul T. Casey
10-20-2008, 03:16 PM
pm me or some of the other guys here (Merc, John Kuhn, Zach, and a few others come to mind) if you need more specific help.

gohogs
10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
I've never been to a track, but I appreciate your trying to help a Bro. Thanx! I may need it some day.

Pops
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Just go and have fun! We all had the first time down the track! Post up a week or two before you are going and someone else from here will go with if they can. Good luck! After 40 years of messing around I still screwup!

John

gdmjoe
10-20-2008, 06:32 PM
If it's been awhile ... new air and fuel filter.
remove / eliminate junk-in-the-trunk. *Including the jack and spare.
¼ - ½ tank of gas.
measure tire pressure. *Adjust the rear for best grip (usually means dropping a few Lbs). Consider adding a few of Lbs to the front tires.
O/D off.
traction control off (if equipped).
A/C / defrost off.
avoid / drive-around the water box. *Assuming street tires.
a couple of approach dry hops before staging to clean the tires.
left foot on the brake, right foot poised on the gas. *Experiment with loading the transmission. Personal experience best times were without.
leave on the last yellow.
Stage deep - Leave hard!!! :D

tjl006
10-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks alot for the great info guys. I have an 03 mm with 4.10 gears, jlt cai and a reinhart tune. My tires are toyo proxes. Thanks again