PDA

View Full Version : Rear driver-side brake locking or sticking

kariamack
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I have been having this issue for about a year now , it comes and goes....i can be driving around and if I make to many turns. l start to feel like the car rear end sticking or the car isn't moving normal. one day it was doing it and looked at the back rear tire and the rotor was smoking ..so i assumed the back brakes were locking up. I'm not sure if I need to replace the rotor only or the brake caliber .....I know now the the back brake rotor is warp ..cause when I'm slowing down the car shimmies... what should i do

CROWNMARAUDER
10-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Earlier this year I had a rear caliper that would freeze up off & on on my crown vic. I had it replaced & problem was solved. It could also be your parking brake.

kariamack
10-21-2008, 07:30 PM
what all did they replace

Earlier this year I had a rear caliper that would freeze up off & on on my crown vic. I had it replaced & problem was solved. It could also be your parking brake.

fastblackmerc
10-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Check the caliper, make sure it's free (piston also), check the parking brake assembly and the cable. Also look for any leaking rearend fluid.

larryo340
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Check the caliper, make sure it's free (piston also), check the parking brake assembly and the cable. Also look for any leaking rearend fluid.
^^^^ +1 on checking the parking brake. When the rotor gets very hot from the sticking caliper it heats up the parking brake shoes and they will come apart, but not right away. I would replace the shoes when brake caliper repaired.

It could also be a sticking or frozen caliper slider pin.

CROWNMARAUDER
10-22-2008, 05:41 AM
what all did they replace

On my car they just replaced the rear calipers/pads & resurfaced the rotors under my ford extended warranty. I did not have any issues with the parking brake on my car.