PDA

View Full Version : Tempting tune

Bradley G
10-23-2008, 05:04 AM
Lately, I notice several members getting thier tune tweaked from Zack.
I'm guessing by Zacks comments, he is manipulating the torque convertor lock up to achieve better acceleration.
Recently, during a conversation with Darrien@BC I mentioned the amout of drag racing my Marauder has seen.
Never counted all the time slips, but this car has seen hundreds of passes/
I also stated the
trans has
never given me any trouble despite the aggressive treatment.
Darrien asked me,Whos'tune do I have?
I mentioned Lidio tuned my car on his laptop, during an event he came to @RT66.
He said "That explains it"
he continued, " Lidio will tune the trans for maximum life, not best ET's".
I don't know the risk of turning up the wick by this method, I'm sure we will see.
Maybe Zack will weigh in and describe what he does with the Marauder tune.

DTRMiguel
10-23-2008, 05:34 AM
I hear Zacks tune is awesome i have to buy another tuner and i will definetly get his trans tune! :D

ctrlraven
10-23-2008, 06:19 AM
I've had a Zack tune for about a year now with maybe 25k miles give or take since loading the tune. I have felt and seen an increase in performance and fuel economy since using his tune. Transmission feels just as strong as ever with being a here and there weekend racer and daily driven.

Zack
10-23-2008, 06:49 AM
My trans tuning is mainly noticed in the pleasant-to-drive shift schedule. No bam bam bam shifting through the gears as fast as possible for maximum economy. If you wanted max economy, shoulda bought a 4 cylinder.

As for the transmission, I feel what I do will extend the life of the transmission.
I raise the line pressure quite a bit over the SCT base tune. More pressure leaves less opportunity for the clutches to slip at WOT.

Where it really counts though, is the timers for completing upshifts and torque converter lock. Even the SCT performance tune leaves much room for improvement. I turn these timers WAY down so shifting happens As SOON AS POSSIBLE.
This equates to a nice crisp shift, and a reduction in ET's.

DOOM
10-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Hey zack im thinking about doing your trans tune. Do i have to send you my SCT tuner? Whats the process? :help:

Zack
10-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Hey zack im thinking about doing your trans tune. Do i have to send you my SCT tuner? Whats the process? :help:

I cant help you, since you have a custom tune for your supercharger.
My portion cant be 'pasted' into your tune without me having the file from Lidio.
Sorry I cant be of help.

DOOM
10-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Im not running a lidio tune anymore. What exactly would you need?

Zack
10-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Im not running a lidio tune anymore. What exactly would you need?

The .mtf file from your dyno guy.

ctrlraven
10-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Ahh so that's how you do it.

Paul T. Casey
10-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Although I don't have Zack's tune, or even SCT for that matter, I've been running increased line pressure for shifts for quite a while now. No issues from that as of yet. Zack is correct in his prolonged life theory on this upgrade.

Bulten Rauder
10-27-2008, 06:19 PM
The .mtf file from your dyno guy.

So Zack, we can accomplish your tranny tune with an SCT X3 and e-mail (plus$$$ of course) if we can get the file from our Dyno guy?

Dave

Zack
10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
So Zack, we can accomplish your tranny tune with an SCT X3 and e-mail (plus$$$ of course) if we can get the file from our Dyno guy?

Dave

Correct :up:

Bradley G
10-27-2008, 08:09 PM
I am more interested in the torque convertor commands with your tune.
You claim your tune is faster than some by how you get the trans to behave different.

If it is the convertor you keep unlocked at wot, this is for maximum power?
How is this different from others?

Do you feel the the transmission life is extended by this ?

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Just got my tune less than a week ago, and have been blown away by the performance of my otherwise stock car with smaller lighter weight wheels, and no extra baggage (no spare, stock sub etc).

Feels like a totally different animal, shifts are crisp and right on point when you are on it, and for normal driving it is still a pleasure. The best part is driving with O/D off, and hearing your exhaust constantly growl like you've never heard it before (if you come from the stock tune).

Really hoping gas comes down with the way I will be driving my car now.

ctrlraven
10-27-2008, 08:44 PM
I just got and adjustment tune from Zack and here is my thoughts.

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48448

Zack
10-28-2008, 04:11 AM
I am more interested in the torque convertor commands with your tune.
You claim your tune is faster than some by how you get the trans to behave different.

If it is the convertor you keep unlocked at wot, this is for maximum power?
How is this different from others?

Do you feel the the transmission life is extended by this ?

Brad, If you are running the stock Trilogy tune, I have that on disk and can send you 'my version' for your review.

Bradley G
10-28-2008, 04:31 AM
I am running a semi stock Trilogy tune.
Lidio tweaked it years back,he added some timing, we test drove it, and he pulled some back.
I am happy with the tune overall, just curious what if any added risks are inherent.

Zack
10-28-2008, 05:57 AM
I am running a semi stock Trilogy tune.
Lidio tweaked it years back,he added some timing, we test drove it, and he pulled some back.
I am happy with the tune overall, just curious what if any added risks are inherent.

Added risks?
Hmm, your car will be faster?

Bradley G
10-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Added risks? Yes! I'm specifically referring to a comment Darrien@BC made to me, when I told him how many passes I've made with the Marauder and had no transmission failure(s).
He claimed Lidios tune was responsible for that. Something to do with the convertor.
Hmm, your car will be faster?At what expense?
I'm used to trade offs, when it comes to making the car faster.
If I jepordise my reliability, it is not worth it for me at this time.
I'm not looking to have you retune my car .
I'm trying to learn from the wealth how these mods/tuning affect our cars.

Zack
10-28-2008, 07:22 AM
I dont know about your car Brad, but any stock Trilogy Ive ever had took about an hour to shift from 1-2 at WOT.
That cant be good for the trans IMHO. Back in the day, it was unheard of for the transmissions to go out, and for a good while, they didnt. If you do the research and peek in behind the scenes, you will find that most transmissions (with a spirited driver) have failed behind a Trilogized engine. I know of some people who have zipped their lip as not to damage the impeccable reputation of reliability with 'just the kit'

If I was you, I would go see Jerry @ Sutton Ford, or Bob Kurgan and get a real dyno tune. I am confident you will be nothing short of amazed at the results.

Bradley G
10-29-2008, 05:08 AM
You may not remember, but you do know my car.
The night John Friel windowed his block at Union Grove.Johns' car was fresh off a dyno tune from Sutton Ford eariler that day
You told me you could achieve a better ET with my car, than I was able to.
You ran my car, a tenth slower than I did.
I have heard some feedback that the 1-2 shift on the base Trilogy tune is soft.
I don't feel that way, It does not bark the tires like on the wifes' Grand Monkey with a tune.
But it is crisp and quick.
I know there is some more power there, this spring when the MM is paid off, I'll get it pulley'ed down & tuned.
As far as reputation goes, nothing wrong with being prudent.
Anytime I've heard the members have an issue with thier Marauder, Jerry goes to the ends of the earth to get it resolved regardless of what it costs!
Even if it is not related to his product.:bows:Prolly should have been a little nicer to him, EH?

I dont know about your car Brad, but any stock Trilogy Ive ever had took about an hour to shift from 1-2 at WOT.
That cant be good for the trans IMHO. Back in the day, it was unheard of for the transmissions to go out, and for a good while, they didnt. If you do the research and peek in behind the scenes, you will find that most transmissions (with a spirited driver) have failed behind a Trilogized engine. I know of some people who have zipped their lip as not to damage the impeccable reputation of reliability with 'just the kit'

If I was you, I would go see Jerry @ Sutton Ford, or Bob Kurgan and get a real dyno tune. I am confident you will be nothing short of amazed at the results.