PDA

View Full Version : CV trans vs MM trans

Stranger in the Black Sedan
10-27-2008, 06:28 AM
If I wanted to pick up a spare trans to build from a junkyard trans, is there anything different internally from a CV/GM trans to the MM trans? My MM has a vibe limited to 3rd gear that I am 99% sure is an internal trans issue from an out of balance or otherwise damaged part. It has always done this and it's pretty minor but it annoys me. It literally only shakes in 3rd and as soon as it hits 4th it's gone. It's worse under load.

RR|Suki
10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
torque converter shutter? either way as I understand it the trans shouldn't be different out of a CV

10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
It does it when the converter is already locked up, it's not a converter clutch engagement type shudder. It is a shudder that occurs throughout 3rd gear, any speed, only in third.

Will the CV trans be different from a CVPI to a civilian model? Or is the only difference in how the CV vs the MM shifts all PCM programming? I can get a CV trans for $45/each from a u pull it, I think I am going to grab one to swap in and see if the shudder is gone, and if so rebuild the junkyard unit.

FordNut
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
I believe the CVPI is the same as the MM, they both have extended tailshafts. The regular CV is different in that regard, but the rest of the internals should be the same.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Isn't the TC on 04s different from 03 MMs? Same for Crown Vics?

FordNut
10-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I thought the question was MM vs CV.
Yes, there are a few differences for '03 vs '04 also.

11-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I think he means TC = torque converter, not town car. Darn abbreviations people use around here. I'm sure they are lower stall on non Marauders, I wouldn't use a CV torque converter in a Marauder. I just want to find a cheap good working core CV trans to rebuild so I can swap it out w/ my stock one. I'd put a Marauder converter back in fronnufit.

offroadkarter
11-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I think he means TC = torque converter, not town car. Darn abbreviations people use around here. I'm sure they are lower stall on non Marauders, I wouldn't use a CV torque converter in a Marauder. I just want to find a cheap good working core CV trans to rebuild so I can swap it out w/ my stock one. I'd put a Marauder converter back in fronnufit.

any chance you could find a totaled MM and pull the trans out of that? I know merc6's totaled 03 A is hiding around his area of maryland somewheres

steve h
11-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Sounds like you have a TCC chatter (torque converter clutch) This could
be solved by a tuner (SCT) shutting off the TCC, or the chatter lessened
by a trans fluid change. TCC chatter can be very annoying if you are
"tuned in to it". hope this helps

11-17-2008, 03:02 PM
I know what torque converter shudder feels like, this is not it. This is a harmonic driveline vibe specific to 3rd gear only, but it's not the driveshaft or the rear. I am almost 100% sure that if I throw someone else's good trans in the car it will be gone. It occurs at all speeds in 3rd including before the TC is locked. Once I get a parts trans to build we'll find out, just needed to know the interchange.

Steve

RF Overlord
11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
is there anything different internally from a CV/GM trans to the MM trans? No. The only differences are the torque converter and the tailshaft length. The CVPI and the MM use the same tailshaft while the CV and GM are shorter.

11-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Ah, forgot about that. Good call. That would have been a problematic oversight. You can't just swap tailshafts can you? I assume the trans output shaft will be a different length for the CVPI and MM long tail trans, vs a CV and GM short tail trans

Thanks

Steve

FordNut
11-21-2008, 07:11 AM
True......