PDA

View Full Version : SINGLE DISK vs MULTI-DISK TCs

High-C
10-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Okay guys... What are the main differences and pros/cons of the different Torque Converters available for our cars? I know that there are limited justifications for their use in N/A applications but I am primarily asking about their use with a Centrifugal Supercharger. I have read about driveabilty issues but I figured that I needed some advice from those members with experience and/or knowledge that far exceeds my own...:help:

ctrlraven
10-27-2008, 09:13 AM
You have 4.10s and you have power, 3500 stall is what you want. As long as the things are dialed in on the tune you should be fine. And yes high stall on a NA is ok, if you have a factory freak like my car lol.

Multi disc will will hold dramatically more torque than a single disc.

Get yourself some drag radials also!

DOOM
10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
pm motorhead

Zack
10-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Triple Disks will slow your car down and make noise.
Leave the converter unlocked at WOT if you are above 450rwhp.

High-C
10-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Triple Disks will slow your car down and make noise.
Leave the converter unlocked at WOT if you are above 450rwhp.

So a single disk will work well for my application? Zack, you're gonna do my tune, so I'll leave the lock-up to you... ;)

Zack
10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
So a single disk will work well for my application? Zack, you're gonna do my tune, so I'll leave the lock-up to you... ;)

Ok. FYI, when we ran Killjoy's car at the track, it ran 11.79 with an unlocked converter.

ctrlraven
10-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Is that what you did with my car, keep the converter unlocked under WOT? It sure does feel like it! :)

merc
10-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Okay guys... What are the main differences and pros/cons of the different Torque Converters available for our cars? I know that there are limited justifications for their use in N/A applications but I am primarily asking about their use with a Centrifugal Supercharger. I have read about driveabilty issues but I figured that I needed some advice from those members with experience and/or knowledge that far exceeds my own...:help:

High-C if you are going to be a NO-SHOW at the track then don't worry about the convertor.

High-C
10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
High-C if you are going to be a NO-SHOW at the track then don't worry about the convertor.

Wow... I was all set for Saturday but I was helping my friend at Old Dominion for the Miller Lite 6.0 rainout race on Sunday. I wanted to be there at MIR for sure, but at least I was at a drag strip. :flamer:

High-C
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM

Merc, I do want to get your take on this when we get together next time. I'm glad you had a good time on Sunday. :beer:

im4darush
10-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Have personal experience with this one. Had a tripple disk put in my vortech car and did not like it at all. The lock ups were harsh as can be and the car was not drivable on the street. It was in for 1 week before I had it replaced with a regular single disk PI. Tuning out the locks is always an option but you will generate more heat in the trans and lose some mpg. For me, the better option was a single disk as I drive my car on the street.

Zack
10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
All Kenny Brown cars came with PI Triple Plate converters....and they are all SLOW.

ctrlraven
10-27-2008, 12:51 PM
High-C just get a single disc and you will be fine!

merc
10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Merc, I do want to get your take on this when we get together next time. I'm glad you had a good time on Sunday. :beer:

We missed you buddy. We had great weather Sunday and got to see some fast cars.

High-C
10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Have personal experience with this one. Had a tripple disk put in my vortech car and did not like it at all. The lock ups were harsh as can be and the car was not drivable on the street. It was in for 1 week before I had it replaced with a regular single disk PI. Tuning out the locks is always an option but you will generate more heat in the trans and lose some mpg. For me, the better option was a single disk as I drive my car on the street.

Thanks for the help... That is the route I am leaning towards. I also hear that PI will "freshen-up" their used TCs for a relatively small fee...

FordNut
10-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I had a triple plate and liked it a lot better than the single plate. Firm lockup, much like a 5th gear. Program it to lockup in 3rd gear instead of OD.