PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Marauder

QWK SVT
10-27-2008, 10:21 AM
This was taken a few weeks ago, but took a while for me to clean it up... Thoughts would be appreciated (including feedback on workflow, from keeners;)).

http://qwksvt.com/Sharing/Midnight-sm.jpg

For those more interested, the picture was shot is a parking lot, under yellow light. With flash looked awful, so I used a 4-sec exposure to grab as much detail as possible, with the very DARK lighting and no flash. I think I still managed to make it work at 100ISO, tho would've upped it, if I had more time; although it wasn't exactly busy at 11PM, building security ran me off (after only taking 4 pictures).

So I didn't have a perfect capture to work with, but really liked what I had to work with... The post done:

Minor rotation and crop of image
Touched up an aberrition that appeared above the driver's side
Another shot of the moon was taken (on a tripod and at greater zoom), and after a resize was pasted over the moon from the original (4-sec exp results in just a very bright overhead light)
B&W filter applied to the car (except lights, obviously) and foreground, to leave the blues in the night sky
Other minor touch up and a quick adjustment of levels
Although I know less foreground would be a little better, I've left it at this crop, because I'm thinking of printing an 8x10 to hang on the wall
For anyone interested, here's a link to the original (untouched) image: http://qwksvt.com/Sharing/DSCF0619.jpg

MM03MOK
10-27-2008, 10:31 AM
That looks so nice!!!!! The moon looks great and it doesn't bother me that its edge is missing. My only thought is I would have cropped it a little looser on the left and right. Keep up the good work!! Wallpaper material!!

O's Fan Rich
10-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Makes it look like a model... not a real car.
Looks very nice.

QWK SVT
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
That looks so nice!!!!! The moon looks great and it doesn't bother me that its edge is missing. My only thought is I would have cropped it a little looser on the left and right. Keep up the good work!! Wallpaper material!!

I had to crop it (as is), to level out the car, since the original image was taken on a slight angle... I'm thinking you're right though, and I should pull away from the car a bit (leaving it on an angle). I'll have to try that and repost :)

I'm also up in the air on the B&W filter applied to the light reflected from the corner marker on the top of the front bumper... It wais yellowish, but I'm not sure it looks "right" now that it's changed to white...

ctrlraven
10-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Need moar!

Hacklemerc
10-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm no photographer, but to me that is a kick a$$ pic. I like both the untouched and the done one. Makes me want to buy a better camera and try taking some pics of the Big Black car. Looks good...

Hope you don't mind but I think this may be my new wallpaper for my laptop...

TAKEDOWN
10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
NOW! DaMnNnN!!! That's ba ba bad to the bone! WOW that definitely should be in 2010's calender, Taemian has to see this one. What a way to represent our cars, especially the black ones "Prime Time" Baby!!!

justbob
10-27-2008, 01:26 PM
That looks amazing!!!

Black Dynamite
10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Very very very nice! Def wallpaper worthy.:bows:

One thing I noticed is that the corner lamp is all yellow. Is that to do with the ambient lighting or? :dunno:

MeadeRaudeR
10-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Very nice-it IS now wallpaper, thanks!:)

QWK SVT
10-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback!:cool:

I'm really starting to feel comfortable with the new camera, now :banana2:

Very very very nice! Def wallpaper worthy.:bows:

One thing I noticed is that the corner lamp is all yellow. Is that to do with the ambient lighting or? :dunno:

The tails, fogs and corners were on at the time. The ambient lighting just really brought out the yellow...

larryo340
10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
:up: Picture looks right out of a Halloween magazine. I can't believe the difference from the untouched photo. Keep it up !