PDA

View Full Version : Recurring theme- I am dumb

kartherma
10-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Just supposing for a moment that in the process of two moves and a lot of brain farting a guy who has been running a lidio tune installed with an xcal2....lost the xcal2.

What can a guy like that do? Are there any realistic options?
Can I buy another xcal2 and reflash with it? Will it accept the aftermarket tune? (I know the diablosport wouldnt even accept an updated flash from ford because it didnt recognize the tune as original)

This isnt urgent...but I would like to get it solved.

thanks!
be good!
Curt

red
10-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Basically, you'll need another handheld. Lidio can send you a new tune (don't know whether he'll charge) or if it's custom, he may still have a copy. Otherwise, a SCT dealer should be able to give you a base tune that's modified for your gears.

Richy04
10-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I have the Sniper tuning special forces and commando, you can download your lidio tune to a laptop and store it and then reload an 04 MAV2 tune back to the car and vice versa. I have the MAV2 original tune saved as a sniper file if you want it. Some dyno tuners use the sniper system so they can upload the stock file to your car for a fee if you dont want to buy one.

The handheld tuners will all do the same thing, they will take a tune in their own proprietary format and then convert it to what the Ford ecu understands and it will be uploaded just as if Ford did it themselves.

With the Sniper, I've uploaded all tunes I own on handhelds like the xcal2 to the ecu one at a time and read them with the sniper and stored them on my computer (returning to stock between each to unlock) using the ecu to convert them per se to my sniper format. So in essence I can send you the original for it but you would need a sniper to upload it to your car.

kartherma
11-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Sounds good, but a little scary out here in Guam with no dealer to reflash me if I need it.

Can I buy a chip and install it instead?

(I just got done reading the tutorial about installing a chip and was wondering, when we use the xcal2 to install a tune, does it go on that chip...in other words, cant I just get a chip?)

thanks!
be good!
Curt

red
11-05-2008, 07:43 PM
(I just got done reading the tutorial about installing a chip and was wondering, when we use the xcal2 to install a tune, does it go on that chip...in other words, cant I just get a chip?
The XCalibrator devices re-write the factory tune.

kartherma
11-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Red, thanks.
What I was asking was:
The tune is written onto that chip? Meaning Since I used the xcal2 to put the "lidio" tune on the car, and now have lost the xcal2 and want to go back to stock, but am stranded in guam where there isnt a trustworthy facility to reflash my tune...
If the xcal2 flashed the chip shouldnt I be able to just replace the chip?

Thanks!
be good!
Curt

Bradley G
11-07-2008, 04:42 AM
The chip functions the same as a tuner the chip stays plugged in to your PCM.
The tuner device does not stay plugged in, Call or PM Lidio and tell him you lost the ex-cal and need either a new chip or another tuner .

red
11-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Red, thanks.
What I was asking was:
The tune is written onto that chip? Meaning Since I used the xcal2 to put the "lidio" tune on the car, and now have lost the xcal2 and want to go back to stock, but am stranded in guam where there isnt a trustworthy facility to reflash my tune...
If the xcal2 flashed the chip shouldnt I be able to just replace the chip?
For more money and headache, yes. Why is it that you need to go back to stock? If you buy a handheld, you can request a stock file from SCT and they should be able to provide (it would be treated as an aftermarket tune file, but would contain stock values). Otherwise, you can buy a new tuner from them, download their base tune (which would suck up the existing tune in the stock slot), send the tuner back to SCT to have them replace the "stock" tune with an actual stock tune, then using the handheld, return the vehicle back to actual stock.