PDA

View Full Version : j-mod + winter = a bad idea?

GetMeMyStogie
10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
I find the gear changes in my '03 MM take a bit too long for my liking. I'm thinking of doing the j-mod, but I'm afraid it will make winter driving tricky, if not downright dangerous.
The motor is stock, with a lot of miles on it, but the car seems to have been well maintained. I will be putting on some winter tires.

Has anyone here run a j-modded MM as a daily driver in the winter? Is it a hair-raising experience every time you go out, or is daily driving uneventful, for the most part?

Zack
10-30-2008, 10:42 AM
First question, does the car have an aftermarket tune in it?
If not, try that first.

GetMeMyStogie
10-30-2008, 12:26 PM
No, no aftermarket tune. I don't have a handheld tuner - they're pretty pricey up here (about $500 for a superchips handheld last time I had a look).

I suppose a software adjustment is the way to go - that way if I don't like it, I can (have it) set it back how it was. The j-mod is pretty much permanent.

But, I read on this forum that the j-mod is better overall for longevity of the trans. A software tune increases pump pressure, increasing stress on the pump, potentially shortening its life.

So, j-mod = less $, longer trans life, permanent.
Whereas tune = more $$$, shorter trans life, reversible.

Is that about right?

Anyone know a place in the greater Toronto area that could perform this tune for me?

Zack
10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
A tune shortening the life of the trans is bad info.
Find a used tuner and buy a mail order tune...WAY cheaper.

hidperf
10-30-2008, 12:40 PM
I just did the J-mod on mine and love it BUT, I don't drive mine when it snows or it's bad weather. Part throttle is crisp but not overly harsh, but I can see where it might be a concern about loosing traction in bad weather.

I should also note that I have Lidios software tune on mine as well so I can't say what just the J-mod alone feels like.

252life
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I would say do both and use the tuner to adjust down the shift pressure for the winter.
And drive carefully!

Green96
10-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I have not j-modded the MM, but I did the Thunderturd about 3-4 months before I got a tune. The shifts were quicker when I got the j-mod, but not hard at all. I have snow tires for it so I have an advantage, but even after I got a tune that upped the pressure and shift firmness I did not have any problems with winter drivability. I would recommend the j-mod without hesitation. If you are really worried about winter driving, maybe save your money and wait on the tune.

Krytin
10-31-2008, 06:44 AM
I find the gear changes in my '03 MM take a bit too long for my liking. I'm thinking of doing the j-mod, but I'm afraid it will make winter driving tricky, if not downright dangerous.
The motor is stock, with a lot of miles on it, but the car seems to have been well maintained. I will be putting on some winter tires.

Has anyone here run a j-modded MM as a daily driver in the winter? Is it a hair-raising experience every time you go out, or is daily driving uneventful, for the most part?
Yes.
No difference before or after the mod.
You still have to drive easy into the throttle.

99SVT
11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
You shouldn't have a problem with winter tires and a j-mod. My Marauder has a tune with very hard gear changes and a set of 4.10 gears and winter driving isn't bad at all. The only thing you should be worried about is getting caught in a freak snowstorm after you change to back to summer tires.

ckadiddle
11-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Buy a xcal2 from one of our vendors. You can swap the custom tune out for stock in minutes if you get a sudden snow. You can also adjust the shift hardness with the tuner to suit your liking. At least that is what my xcal2 from DR will allow. Not sure about Lidio's tune.

Rockettman
11-14-2008, 07:19 PM
What's a J-Mod?

GetMeMyStogie
11-16-2008, 09:01 PM
What's a J-Mod?

Before some :censor: says to do a search, I'll tell you. It's a mod done to the transmission in the earlier MM, that provides results similar or equivalent to a shift kit.
The MM came with a 4R70W transmission first, then in the 2nd year, it came with a higher-torque-capacity 4R75W. I don't know if the j-mod can be done on the 4R75w, though I suspect it can.

You can google up "4R70w notes", or else check it out here: http://www.crownvic.net/tech/4R70Wnotes.pdf

Btw, my local trans shop offered to do the j-mod for me for $200, including a filter change, full fluid flush and fill. I ended up just getting the filter and oil changed, for $120. So, $80 for the j-mod is, I suspect, WAY cheaper than a tuner and a tune (I'm open to be proven wrong though - PM me with an offer :) )

Marauderjack
11-17-2008, 05:17 AM
If anyone is unhappy with the harshness of the J-Mod I have an OEM separator plate for sale so you can go back to stock and proceed with tuning as Zack suggested!!

Separator plate and 2 gaskets....PM me if interested!!

BTW, my car was ridiculous harsh in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts ....to the point of being dangerous on dry pavement while accelerating around a corner....down shifts AND up shifts!!!!:argue::mad2::eek:

Found out that for some reason my "tuner guy" left the line pressure high in one of my tunes!!:shake: Installed the other one and it is MUCH better so I decided not to go back to stock and sell the separator plate I got from Darrin!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout: