PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem: shifting into reverse?

max454
11-01-2008, 10:08 PM
What would the average time for the tranny to go in reverse ?
Mine seems slow at a good 2 sec.
oopps, double post, please delete

UncleLar
11-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Mine has been kind of slow too since I got it.

Hacklemerc
11-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Sometimes I put my car in reverse and she will just sit there. I then have to put it into park or drive and then back into reverse and it will engage reverse. Never had the problem until I put the tune on. It doesn't seem like its too serious so I don't really bother with it. I just try to stay where i dont have to back out. ;)

252life
11-02-2008, 01:58 AM
My car was also little slow (1 sek)in engaging reverse.
Something that helped me was the j-mod (enlarging hole 10 in the separator plate, it's for the reverse clutch feed) allowing the oil to flow quicker.
Now it engages reverse instant.

Bradley G
11-02-2008, 05:48 AM
Mine has never delayed shifting , this is not a good sign.
I recall several years back I was taking a Mustang GT off the showroom floor.
The Mustang took much longer to grab reverse than I thought normal.
I mentioned it to the SVC Manager, but it did not seem important at the time.
A short time later the car was sold and I saw it in service getting a new transmission.
Pleas keep us informed to how it goes and what if anything you do to correct it.

What would the average time for the tranny to go in reverse ?
Mine seems slow at a good 2 sec.
oopps, double post, please delete

MeadeRaudeR
11-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Mine too, stock, has a hesitation going into reverse...

jgc61sr2002
11-02-2008, 08:31 AM
IMO there should be NO hesitation going from Park to Reverse.

UncleLar
11-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Part of the problem with mine is the shifter itself is sloppy. The day I picked it up when I was driving home stuck in traffic some ricer with a fart cannon was near me revving the darn thing up so I slid the shifter into what should've been neutral and kicked the throttle pretty good to let him hear an American V8.But when I kicked it it leaped forward and I barely got on the binders in time to keep from rear ending the guy in front of me.When I got home and went to back it into the garage I slid it into neutral again and looked at the indicator and the light clearly showed neutral but it was still in gear,I had to shove the lever forward very nearly into the reverse position to get neutral.Then to get into reverse I had to shove it further forward until I felt it hit the reverse stop and the indicator was way more into the park position.
Being as it was in warranty I took it to my regular L/M dealer who is pretty darn good and told them it needed adjusting.They threw it into the air and looked at it and pulled it apart and said there really is no way to adjust things for the shifter and indicator.I'm still wondering why there's no way to properly adjust it.
Now every time I drive the car I have to consciously remember to push the button in and pull the lever back thru reverse and when I hit neutral ,and i have to FEEL the car is in neutral when the pressure eases on the brake pedal to release the button and pull the lever back until I feel it hit the stop for drive,when I want to back up I have to push the button in,shove the shifter into neutral,release the button and shove it into reverse until I feel it hit the stop and make sure I feel it shift into reverse before I try to back up.I have to make sure I do it each and every time.To top it off I now don't trust the shifter so I don't dare try manually shifting the trans,I'm afraid with my luck it would either go in to neutral or worse into reverse when I went for 3rd gear Drive).
WTF! They sell a car for $35500 and throw a sloppy shifter in that can't be adjusted properly? So far in the 10 months I've had the car that has been my only gripe with the way the car was designed/built and I'm really unhappy about it.:(

Blk Mamba
11-02-2008, 11:33 AM
A few times lately, but only going from drive to reverse, some times moving the shifter helps.

TAKEDOWN
11-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Mine too, seems a little sloppy from neutral to reverse and vice versa, sometimes struggles to find reverse. I have to go a little past reverse towards park and it sits right in. I've mastered finding it, and forgot all about. I guess it's the nature of the beast.

imorb1994
11-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Being as it was in warranty I took it to my regular L/M dealer who is pretty darn good and told them it needed adjusting.They threw it into the air and looked at it and pulled it apart and said there really is no way to adjust things for the shifter and indicator.I'm still wondering why there's no way to properly adjust it.

I personally would not call them that good. I had troubles with my shifter being out of wack after installing a reman trans into my MM(do all my own work). And adjusted with no problems.

The way i have adjusted mine in the past is to jack vehicle up, With key on engine off, trans/brake interlock release released loosen nut on gear selector, Click trans into reverse(back up lights should come on) place shifter into reverse, and retighten nut.

On the topic of this thread about a week before my transmission went out, it would take about 2-4 seconds to engage reverse. Now with 4k on a reman unit it engages in less than a second

jimmersmc
11-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I got my MM in November 06 with 32000 miles on it. I noticed that it did take some time to shift into reverse and sometimes I'd have to put it in park and then shift back into reverse to get it to engage. I've had it a few times where I'd shift into reverse and hit the gas, but the car remains in neutral and i'm sitting in place reving the engine like an idiot.
I contacted L/M customer service about the paint chipping issue, the dealership even told me they have noticed the problem but there are no recalls and if the car is out of warranty they wont do anything. Customer service told me that if they receive multiple complaints about certain problems then they may put out a recall.

IF ANYONE HAS PAINT CHIPPING PROBLEMS OR THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTING PROBLEM CALL F/L/M CUSTOMER SERVICE AND REPORT IT, EVENTUALLY THEY WILL HAVE A RECALL.

J D
11-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Mine too, seems a little sloppy from neutral to reverse and vice versa, sometimes struggles to find reverse. I have to go a little past reverse towards park and it sits right in. I've mastered finding it, and forgot all about. I guess it's the nature of the beast.
+1 from the day I got it, and same for the guy who had it before. I mostly forgot about it now, and just have to remeber to hold the shifter forward a bit after its locked into R and feel for it.

justbob
11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Mine has that shifter alignment issue also.

imorb1994
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Adjusting the shifter assembly/transmission cable is real easy. I don't see how so many people are affected by it, and continue to drive their cars like that