PDA

View Full Version : New guy - models? 300A, etc.?

MJOR
11-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi All,
I just sold my MKIV Supra Twin Turbo (my baby for 7 years) and now I've finally decided to go patriotic and buy American Muscle. It's not going to be a garage queen though, I'm getting rid of my daily driver as well as the Supra. So, for a daily driven car that's going to be left mostly stock (I say that now anyways), what should I be looking for? What manufacture date/VIN was the newer transmission introduced? Where on this site can I find what a 300A is and when that was made vs. earlier/later ones? I've been test driving some 03's in the area and I just want to make sure I buy the best example I can find.

MM03MOK
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
:welcome:

We have a stickied thread in Community Discussion about 300As & 300Bs.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31102

Lots of great info and great people here. I'm an hour south of you. :D :wave:

TAKEDOWN
11-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Welcome and enjoy the site!

sd8683
11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Welcome.
What part of boston are you in? I'm in Hyde Park

justbob
11-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Just buy a black one and you'll be good (they're the fastest color)!

Master
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
For god's sake, don't get rid of the daily driver! You'll need something to pass as a winter beater because the boys here will take you to task if you dare drive your MM through an east coast winter. Please, don't do it!

MJOR
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm actually in Watertown, but it's close enough that I just put Boston. Public transportation is good enough that I can leave it (Marauder) at home when the weather's bad, but it will see winters. I've always had the undercarriage coated with WaxOil when I'm driving a car in winter which seems to stop any rust problems. My cbr954 is the only vehicles that's going into hibernation soon.

twin03
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I have a 300A and a 300B, the 300A somkes the 300B all day long.......

SC Cheesehead
11-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Just buy a black one and you'll be good (they're the fastest color)!

NOT!!

I have it on good authority that one of the other colors is the fastest!;)

MJOR
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Black on black makes it even faster...
...btw, what does it sound like if I put in flowmaster 40's and nothing else? The MM's I drove are too quiet. And I saw on here that the oil gauge is just a fake?! Who got fired from Ford over that one? I don't like the idea of having to do work on the car the first day I get it.

SC Cheesehead
11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Black on black makes it even faster...
...btw, what does it sound like if I put in flowmaster 40's and nothing else? The MM's I drove are too quiet. And I saw on here that the oil gauge is just a fake?! Who got fired from Ford over that one? I don't like the idea of having to do work on the car the first day I get it.

What work are you expecting to do?

MJOR
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
A real oil pressure gauge.

justbob
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLiLYONy0aI
And here's our new (and hopefully soon to get bigger)sound sticky:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47140&highlight=delta

justbob
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Those are delta's, super's in my opinion sound a little better. Mufflers are cheap i'm sure i'll see more than a couple different sets on before i'm happy.

SC Cheesehead
11-03-2008, 03:01 PM

You'd put that in the very first day?

I'd prolly opt for a tune, gears, or CAI over an oil pressure gauge as my first mod....

Anyway, here's a couple links for you:

http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com/intdress.html

http://www.reinhartperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=12345&Product_Code=MM-AMOPG&Category_Code=9

UncleLar
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
NOT!!

I have it on good authority that one of the other colors is the fastest!;)
Why that was big of you to admit it,thank you.:lol:

SC Cheesehead
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Why that was big of you to admit it,thank you.:lol:

Hey, just trying to do the best I can with what I got!:D

MJOR
11-03-2008, 08:40 PM
You'd put that in the very first day?

I'd prolly opt for a tune, gears, or CAI over an oil pressure gauge as my first mod....

It's just the principle of the matter. They went to the trouble of putting an extra gauge pod in it, but then put a "fake" gauge in it. I am interested in doing the Xcal2 though, is that worth doing without/before doing the rear gears?

-> But anyways, I just traded in my car tonight and haggled with Muzi Ford for the one that's been sitting on their lot. I will be the proud owner of an 03 300A (I know what that means now) tomorrow night, and the first mod will be Flowmasters. Thanks for the parts/video/info links everyone!

sd8683
11-03-2008, 08:50 PM
It's just the principal of the matter. They went to the trouble of putting an extra gauge pod in it, but then put a "fake" gauge in it. I am interested in doing the Xcal2 though, is that worth doing without/before doing the rear gears?

-> But anyways, I just traded in my car tonight and haggled with Muzi Ford for the one that's been sitting on their lot. I will be the proud owner of an 03 300A (I know what that means now) tomorrow night, and the first mod will be Flowmasters. Thanks for the parts/video/info links everyone!

That's fine if you get a tune without gear's right away, whoever you get your tuner from will most likely give a tune for 4:10's anyway.

J D
11-04-2008, 12:00 AM

speaking of which, if you just buy a new gauge it won't match the volt meter (both the face plate and the lack of backlit numbers), and unless your replacing both just to make it match, here's (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2993) the write up on how to disassemble the guts of an new gauge, fit the original face plate and lightbulb cover, and match it to the voltmeter and make it the way ford was supposed!

It also has the way to cut up the original sender to fit part of it on the new one, as if ford themselves built it that way.

Also I HIGHLY recommend that you SAVE your ORIGINAL gauge and buy a new dummy gauge from ford or other source to pull apart. You might regret destroying the old one, and if not, you can sell it to people like me who did.

SC Cheesehead
11-04-2008, 07:46 AM
It's just the principle of the matter. They went to the trouble of putting an extra gauge pod in it, but then put a "fake" gauge in it. I am interested in doing the Xcal2 though, is that worth doing without/before doing the rear gears?

Yep, tune will definitely wake up the car, with or without the gears. Also, if you buy a tuner through one of our site vendors, you'll most likely get the XCal loaded with tunes for both stock gears as well as 4:10's.

Enjoy!

UncleLar
11-04-2008, 07:52 AM
I got my XCal from Lidio and I specified I wanted it tuned for a K&N FIPK and 93 octane with 3.55 gears,then 93 octane with 4.10 gears and finally for 91 octane in case of traveling with the 4.10 gears. I'm pretty darn happy with what I got.
Ford has been putting those dummy oil pressure gauges in for some time,my 2002 Crown Vic P71's gauge in the cluster is a dummy too.

TiTo35
11-04-2008, 07:54 AM
:welcome: Any questions you have can be found right here...

Bluerauder
11-04-2008, 06:10 PM
:welcome: Any questions you have can be found right here...
He's not looking for Questions .... he's looking for Answers. :rofl:

Just remember .... all answers are absolutely FREE.

Correct answers cost $1.00 each. ;)