PDA

View Full Version : Working on the Zaino

MarauderMike
10-26-2002, 04:48 PM
Well, this is a first time for me using the Zaino products. I'm right in the middle of putting on the polish and so far I'm impressed. I will have to admit I'm using this fall's coat of polish as a learning curve, just wanted to make sure I had something on the car for the Michigan winters. I have learned when I do this in the spring to spend more time using the clay bar, it is amazing how much junk is on the car in just a few short months. I am using the Z-6 between coats and I am not finished yet, I am a little disappointed that it isn't doing better with the scratches I've already accumulated. Anyone have any suggestions on scratches? I have used Mirror Glaze before with good success however I'm not sure we can use it along with the Zaino products?????????????
I have noticed that my car also has "dull" spots throughout the paintwork, and a spot on the left rear bumper under the taillight that didn't get enough paint coverage at the factory. I recall someone else having these same conditions.
If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.

LincMercLover
10-26-2002, 08:46 PM
I've had my car for about a week now. Finally hit a couple puddles that slashed a lil dirt on the bumpers/fenders. I'm a Meguires guy, can't afford that Zaino stuff... My dealer buffed it out, and it looked really good until I looked at it under a parking lot light and saw nothing but swirls and dullness. That kinda pissed me off.

So, ANYWAY, today I took some Meguires quick detail to clean up any dirty spots. Used the California Car Duster. Then hit the whole car with Meguires Gold Class Paste by hand. I've got a cheap lil 10" buffer (on sale at Wal-Mart for like $20 I think, I dunno...) and buffed it out with a terry cloth bonnet. I thought I really messed it up cause it looked like there was a whole bunch of little scratches everywhere from the buffer. But, I then took a wool bonnet and went over it all again. I think I need a new terry cloth bonnet. But I tell you, slick as snot and not a swrill on her! My only problem with the car is all the little spots that retain water (past expirence with a 2001 GM)... I don't have a leaf blower, but I'm thinking about trying my air compressor... We'll see when I wash the car.

I also polished the rims with polishing wad (something my dealer neglected also) and polish the tips too. Gotta watch those tips for burn marks! But anyway, so far she still looks like new!

Moparzz
10-27-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by MarauderMike
[B I am a little disappointed that it isn't doing better with the scratches I've already accumulated. Anyone have any suggestions on scratches? I[/B]

Have you been using the Z5 swirl and scratch remover after claying the car? Zaino recommends that you do 2 and up to 5 coats of Z5 after you clay the car, depending on the color. For these Black Beauties I would guess it would be closer to 5 coats of Z5 before you go to the Z2 clearcoat polish, with Z6 recommended between each coat. Lot of work, but once you get it where you like it, it should be just maintenance. Good luck.

hd2805
10-27-2002, 07:43 AM
I also have that little dull spot under the left tailight on the top of bumber, I thought I did something.....Any fix????

Marsha
10-27-2002, 07:31 PM
I saw some paint missing under my right rear tail light and I go to the dealer for an oil change and a check on the slowness of the engagement into reverse and I will have them check the paint as well and let you know how I make out!
Marsha

MarauderMike
10-27-2002, 07:46 PM
I did put on two coats of Z-5 and followed with a coat of Z-2 with Z-6 in between each. I was using ZFX which indicates you can only apply 3 coats in 24 hours, so I'll have to wait until I got another opportunity to apply more or start from scratch since it looks like winter is just about here for us here in Michigan. As I finished up, it did look better and the shine is really something!!

Marsha, I had the dealer look at the spot on the bumper a couple of months ago and he agreed that it is a lack of paint. I understand that T
the bumpers used for assembly are painted by the supplier. Repaint of the bumper would be covered under warranty of course, but as with most repaints the overall quality wouldn't be there. I think I'm just going to let the spot on the bumper go.

Thanks for all the replies!!!!!

LincMercLover
10-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Hey, anyones front bumper get mis mounted? On the driver side under the head light you can see the lip in the body that the bumper is supposed to go over, but doesn't. The passenger is fine, can't fit my finger in between the headlight and bumper. The driver side I can. I'm taking her in for that, a new shifter cover (mines got a scratch below 1) and the carpet on the rear passenger door panel is not sticky enoph and keeps falling down. I already did the rear deck/sub thing. I think I'm taking her in tomorrow...