PDA

View Full Version : weird tranny??

4drpower
11-07-2008, 10:00 AM
ok heres a question for you guys... long story short I was racing an integra blah blah blah yes it was a waste of my gas blah blah blah and of course I beat his ASS blah blah blah but anyways like 10 minutes after im cruising at 65 and the tranny feels like it shifts into 2nd or 3rd gear bc I hit the gas and it was like it popped into neutral but when it damn near hit redline it went back into gear or something IDFK?? it kinda pisses me off actually but anyways the next day it does it maybe once or twice and then its fine... idk? it just feels like it downshifts for no apparent reason only when i am cruising and not hitting the gas.. it shifts properly when I take off or am passing someone but it only F's up when im at a constant speed?? tell me what you think the only thing dune is a SCT chip with tune.. kooks headers, magnaflow cats, mufflers, x-pipe 4:10 gears SVO stud girdle, sway bar and some other nonsense haha but please give me some more info soon!!

Thanks
Tony

Local Boy
11-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Have you checked your fluid?

ALOHA

4drpower
11-07-2008, 12:40 PM
yup, it doesnt have the burnt smell or anything completely full... I think haha

RF Overlord
11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
completely full... I think hahaYou think? You need to be sure.

I had an old Buick a long time ago that did something similar right after racing another car. The fluid could have been overheated or aerated, but it stopped doing it shortly after.

When was the last time the ATF was changed? Just because it doesn't look or smell burnt doesn't mean it's good. The additive pack can get depleted and change the shift characteristics. One of the additives is a surfactant to reduce foaming, which can cause all kinds of weird shifting problems.

justbob
11-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Additive pack??? In the new fluid i hope?

DEFYANT
11-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Interesting........

Zack
11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I ran into a wierd tranny once.
I just kept walking.

knine
11-07-2008, 05:47 PM
I just kept walking.
Tell Mike I said HI. :rolleyes:

Zack
11-07-2008, 08:01 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

...dont call me on the phone just cause i responded to your well thought out and witty post :D

cruzer
11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
O K, sounds far out, but it happened to me--had same problem--found radiator clogged with mud from driving thru an area of heavy blowing dust--wouldn't have found it if a pinhole leak had not developed. The tech explained that there is a trans overheat sensor that causes the tranny to shift for better cooling ?????? Well, it worked

4drpower
11-07-2008, 10:16 PM
wtf???????????????????????????

knine
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM

...dont call me on the phone just cause i responded to your well thought out and witty post :d
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Zack
11-08-2008, 06:53 AM

Did you have too much chocolate milk again?
:rofl:

frdwrnch
11-08-2008, 07:28 AM
A possible suspect would be the transmission range sensor. The modern day equivalent of a nuetral safety switch, it tells the computer what gear the vehicle is in. They can sometimes malfunction and cause your concern yet not leave a code because it thinks you really put it in another gear. Tough to diagnose as you have to watch it with a scan tool at the time of malfunction. The part is probably less than $100 and you may just want to swap it out and hope. Good Luck!

Darrin
11-08-2008, 08:11 AM
You can get that part at Autozone for less than $50. They call it a neutral safety switch.

If you get one it has to be aligned when it's installed. There are marks on it that have to line up when the transmission is in neutral.

I have pics available at the shop and can post them up on Monday when I get back there.

Darrin

Mike
11-08-2008, 10:06 AM

:puke: :puke:

GetMeMyStogie
11-08-2008, 10:36 AM
I just kept walking.

So did I, but I just stayed in my car, and kept driving.

knine
11-08-2008, 01:57 PM
:puke: :puke:

I just kept walking.
Well, Hellooooooooo Mr. Narcissus. You're not the only "Mike" you know. ;)