PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Eaton Kit: Finished w/pics!

Zack
11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Man, what a project.
After I sold my Paxton, the car was plain boring to drive :bigcry: I almost bought the used trilogy kit (that justbob bought) but didnt pull the trigger in time. With all the Eatons available from Cobras that upgraded to Twin Screws, it made sense economically to go this route. I scored an Eaton with 9000 miles on it for $300 shipped. I got the lower intake and intercooler for $600 shipped, which is a good deal.
This originally started out with the intention of a custom intake I wanted made to bring the inlet up and over the blower (back to the drivers side.)
Of course 3 months of waiting went by without any progress (from the fab shop) so I scrapped that idea in favor of switching the inlet over to the passenger side. This actually worked out better, not only for fitment and air flow, but because this car is eventually getting the big bad engine with the Whipple 3.4 next year. Everything will be ready when that time comes.

The battery was going to be my biggest hurdle, because I needed to have the air filter and MAF as close to the blower inlet as possible. On my old Kenne Bell setup, I ran a long flex tube over to the drivers side (which I didnt care for asthetically)
Anyone else would have relocated the battery to the trunk, but I have a silent phobia of doing that (for reasons I cant explain :D)
Soooo.... I decided to move it over to the drivers side! I have to admit I wanted to do it this way mainly because no one else has done it yet!
After a trip to the local junkyard and 5 whole dollars later, I came home with a 2003+ Battery Tray from a Crown Vic. It needed trimming, but bolted right up; one bolt on the frame and one on the wheel liner. Its rock solid, even with the battery in place. The next problem was the battery itself. The posts would have hit the hood when closed, causing a bad welding situation :eek:
A quick trip to FLAPS and I found the correct battery and battery cable to hook everything up. I was able to remove the alternator cable from the passenger side, shorten it and hook it right up to the auxilliary wire that came attached to the new battery cable. SWEET! I ran the actual cable back to the passenger side and hooked it up to the fuse box post. (along with the starter wire and Stereo cable)
Its amazing how easy it was to source parts for this project. EVERYTHING is used, cheap and readily available in the classifieds on Mustang sites. The only components that would prevent anyone else from duplicating this are the belt tensioner and alternator relocation brackets. There were only 5 sets made and talks of making more are in the works. Problem is, the brackets alone would be $600 with bolts, nuts etc. It may seem pricey, but its far cheaper than buying the 03 Cobra front dress and nothcing the frame for the Cobra alternator. Basically, these are slightly different versions of the Trilogy brackets (because the blower snout is longer on a Cobra Eaton vs. the Trilogy Eaton)

I had to extend the MAF harness (easily accomplished with Trailer wire(4 wires)), IAC, IAT and TPS wiring. I made block-off plates for the EGR and stock IAT port. I relocated the IAT to the lower manifold like the 2 Trilogy cars Ive done.
The Fuel rail fitting needed to be bent toward the front of the car to clear the intake tube, no big deal.
For the intercooler system, I bought a heat exchanger from Frozenboost.com and made custom aluminum brackets to hang it out front. I bought a used IC pump with the stock cobra bracket, that I sheet metal screwed to the frame right under the battery tray on the passenger side. I wired it up with a relay exactly like the Trilogy manual says to. The reservior was also used and I made a simple bracket to mount that.
Before the pics, here is the cost breakdown:
Eaton:$300
Lower Manifold & Intercooler: $600
Billetflow Pullies and hub: $200
Cobra Intake Tube: $90
Throttle Bracket: $18
Lightning MAF and MAFia: $150
Lower LFP pulley kit: $250
New blower belt tensioner: $90
Battery, tray and cable: $100
IAT sensor and pigtail: $35
Heat exchanger: $175
IC pump: $50
Injectors and IC reservoir: $120
2 Belts: $60
Custom brackets: $600 (Thanks to _____, you know who you are)
Misc hoses and fittings: $50
Air filter and adapter: $100
Welding of misc things: $40
Total: $3028 (without dyno tune)
Not too shabby, huh! :beer:

Here are the pics:

Zack
11-09-2008, 01:17 PM
More pics:
The crossover tube was a huge PITA, but worked out good.

Zack
11-09-2008, 01:18 PM
More:
You can actually get at the trans dipstick!

KillJoy
11-09-2008, 01:19 PM
:up:

KillJoy

Zack
11-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Almost forget...
Blipped the throttle today and it hit 13psi :eek:
I have a 3.4 pulley in case I decide to get cautious :D

(The lower pulley is a +4lb unit from a Cobra)

ChiTownMaraud3r
11-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Friggin nice work man. :up:

Blk Mamba
11-09-2008, 01:33 PM
A few weeks ago I was talking about this, and my friend said that I would be better off changing the heads also. Is this true?

TAKEDOWN
11-09-2008, 01:34 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!! Awesome Zack!

Zack
11-09-2008, 01:36 PM
A few weeks ago I was talking about this, and my friend said that I would be better off changing the heads also. Is this true?

I recommend not listening to that friend.
The heads are identical except for the cams BTW.

Blk Mamba
11-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Thats why I asked your opinion. Thanks

Mike
11-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Looks good Zack :bows:

ImpalaSlayer
11-09-2008, 03:06 PM
sweet man! it looks weird with the filter on that side, makes my eyes feel funny

TooManyFords
11-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Nice job Zack. So, I assume one of your previous tunes works with this setup without change, no?

If you ever want to loan me one of those lower intakes to experiment with... It might encourage me to get that tank out sooner!
:D

Cheers!

Zack
11-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Id definitely needs tuned, but runs great with a previous tune I loaded in.
Ill think about the lower intake :D

justbob
11-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Looks good Zack and you came in at $500.00 less than me.

stangracr
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Looks great Zack.

ed

justbob
11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
So how about the V10? and the Mach one? What have ya been doin with all your time? This eaton project probably only took you one night. Whats next? Inquiring minds wanna know..........

Zack
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
So how about the V10? and the Mach one? What have ya been doin with all your time? This eaton project probably only took you one night. Whats next? Inquiring minds wanna know..........

The V10 is so close to completion its silly.
Ive actually been working on the bathroom, after a year hiatus:

The Mach is gettin' the turbo as soon as the shower is done. It will be my DD starting in spring.
The V10 MM will be a long term project, since I cant rev it to full potential until the engine is gone through with good parts.
I dont know if you spotted it, but I picked up a 94 Town Car for Winter as well :up:

justbob
11-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Nice upgrade! But reminds me of work:(
No i didn't notice you picked up a lincoln. My grandpa also has one.:D
Just kidding them things have an awesome ride to them, just don't fall asleep on the way home from work. Have a good one.:beer:

KillJoy
11-09-2008, 04:27 PM
It will be my DD starting in spring.

:rofl:

OMG!!!! My SPLEEN HURTS!!!!!

KillJoy

SC Cheesehead
Zack, you are the MAN!:bows:

You gonna pick me up in the Blue next week, or do i get a ride in the V-10?

Zack
Nice upgrade! But reminds me of work:(
No i didn't notice you picked up a lincoln. My grandpa also has one.:D
Just kidding them things have an awesome ride to them, just don't fall asleep on the way home from work. Have a good one.:beer:

We are on the 2nd bottle of wine and my future's so bright, I got wear....
http://www.interq.or.jp/www1/onj1/corey/sunglasses.jpg

Zack
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM

OMG!!!! My SPLEEN HURTS!!!!!

KillJoy

I will prove you wrong grasshopper.
...Cody will need some training to pull it off, and that is a mountain of a task :bigcry:

Zack
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Zack, you are the MAN!:bows:

You gonna pick me up in the Blue next week, or do i get a ride in the V-10?

Next week?
Its 23 days from now! :rolleyes:
Have another Blue Moon!

KillJoy
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I can't WAIT to hear you moans and groans from DD-ing THAT Clutch!!!

HA!!!

:D

KillJoy

PS - Vroom..... Vroom.... Vroom.... EEERP!

Drewstang
11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Sweet. Any chance of you making those brackets incase I was to find a theft recovery Marauder locally for a pretty good price.

Zack
11-09-2008, 04:44 PM
BTW, the 8 rib belt for the blower was 52.5"

Zack
11-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Sweet. Any chance of you making those brackets incase I was to find a theft recovery Marauder locally for a pretty good price.

Yes, I just need the multiple thousands of dollars in CASH to have 10 sets made.

Drewstang
11-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes, I just need the multiple thousands of dollars in CASH to have 10 sets made.
Its time for you to go back to school for a machinist degree. Maybe add a bay onto the garage for a CNC machine? :D

Zack
11-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Its time for you to go back to school for a machinist degree. Maybe add a bay onto the garage for a CNC machine? :D

I tried College for 5 years, didnt like it :D

Drewstang
11-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I hear you Van Wilder.

pacammer
11-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Zack,

Nice base preparation on the shower. The Eaton Engineering and execution on the Marauder looks great. Nice job my friend.

Gary

ctrlraven
11-09-2008, 08:54 PM
That's awesome Zack!

SC Cheesehead
11-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Next week?
Its 23 days from now! :rolleyes:
Have another Blue Moon!

Uhhhhhhhh, yeah, you're right.:o
:drink:
Oh, now we got that out of the way,

What's it gonna be, a ride in the Blue or Prozack?

hidperf
11-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I always wondered why nobody does this with all the cobra stuff out there. Nice job!

Dennis Reinhart
11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Looks good, I have 2 of those old Cobra blowers here that were swapped, I never thought of using them.

Marauder386
11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Looks good, I have 2 of those old Cobra blowers here that were swapped, I never thought of using them.

Hmmmmmmmm ... I do need to do some upgrades ....

:cool4:

Raudermaster
11-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Very nice dude! :up: What do you think it'll make on the dyno?

Motorhead350
11-11-2008, 01:35 AM
I am jelious. You are getting your projects done.

Have fun.

Zack
11-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Very nice dude! :up: What do you think it'll make on the dyno?

I havent even thought of it til now. :rolleyes:

Probably 450/430.
This engine is no where near as strong as any of the other MM's Ive owned, for whatever reason.

KillJoy
11-11-2008, 06:24 AM

Probably 450/430.
This engine is no where near as strong as any of the other MM's Ive owned, for whatever reason.

It's Blue?

:dunno:

KillJoy

Ken
11-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Vroom..... Vroom.... Vroom.... EEERP!:rofl:

Sorry, Now that there is funny...

Ken

cougar9150
11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Did it fit under the stock hood without any problems? I would like to try something like this also. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the brackets?
I can probably get a better price than $600 a set depending on how complicated they are.
Bolts should be cheap hit up http://www.mcmaster.com/ almost guaranteed to have what you need.

bob6364
11-11-2008, 07:28 PM
If there are some technical drawings on these brackets my relative owns a very high tech machine shop he may be able to help...he also ohs my more then a few favors..

Zack
11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Did it fit under the stock hood without any problems? I would like to try something like this also. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the brackets?
I can probably get a better price than $600 a set depending on how complicated they are.
Bolts should be cheap hit up http://www.mcmaster.com/ almost guaranteed to have what you need.

If there are some technical drawings on these brackets my relative owns a very high tech machine shop he may be able to help...he also ohs my more then a few favors..

The gentleman who worked long and hard drawing these brackets and having them made deserves his cut of the pie if they are ever made again.
BTW, I get my bolts through Grainger, and they are not the expensive part.
The brackets themselves certainly do not cost $600 (far less) but for their uniqueness, profit will most definitely be made on them.

Zack
11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
As for hood clearance, a small part of the hood insulator was removed.

Drock96Marquis
11-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Nice clean work ;) I like the battery/tray relocation.

Zack
11-13-2008, 01:23 PM
This car is running pretty good considering its not tuned yet.
Im going to the dyno on Saturday morning (same guy who did Killjoy's car)

Cant wait to beat the snot out of it :up:

red
11-14-2008, 12:01 AM
As for hood clearance, a small part of the hood insulator was removed.
Same here. Glad I didn't have to go with a cowl induction setup.

red
11-14-2008, 12:04 AM

Probably 450/430.
You think it'll make that much? I guess with the higher compression, it's possible. We're tuning mine this weekend (fingers crossed) and I'll post up more about the build and numbers once everything's complete.

red
11-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Anyone else would have relocated the battery to the trunk, but I have a silent phobia of doing that (for reasons I cant explain :D)
Soooo.... I decided to move it over to the drivers side! I have to admit I wanted to do it this way mainly because no one else has done it yet!
I've got the same battery relocation ;) and I came across a Marauder with a Cobra assembly about two years ago that had a driver's-side relocation, so they beat us to it. Anyway, looks good! Random questions: what are you running for exhaust, torque converter, and gear on this car? Also, where's your windshield washer reservoir?

Motorhead350
11-14-2008, 12:18 AM

Let me know how that goes. I think I want to visit that tuner in spring after I change the rear end. Please keep me updated!

KillJoy
11-14-2008, 05:35 AM
I think I want to visit that tuner in spring after I change the rear end.

You DO realize he WILL charge you, RIGHT?!?!?

:eek:

KillJoy

Motorhead350
11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
You DO realize he WILL charge you, RIGHT?!?!?

:eek:

KillJoy

Yes and by then I will have some cash, that's why I said spring. Also the guy did a great job on your car, so he has my attention. ;)

RoyLPita
11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Zack, Keep us posted on the numbers.

SC Cheesehead
11-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Save that for the goofy black car; you need to baby your Blue.:cool4:

KillJoy
11-14-2008, 03:23 PM
[quote=Motorhead350;682171]Yes and by then I will have some cash, that's why I said spring. Also the guy did a great job on your car, so he h

Let me know.

I can get whatever , whenever.

KillJoy

Drewstang
11-15-2008, 03:14 PM
So 10 brackets will be $3200 to make, roughly $320 a set cost but then sold for $600. $240 profit? :dunno:

FordNut
11-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Nothing is free.

justbob
11-15-2008, 05:00 PM
And so.....Whats numbers did you get????

scruff
11-16-2008, 12:38 PM
will that eaton blower fit on a 2V motor also?

FordNut
11-16-2008, 01:26 PM
will that eaton blower fit on a 2V motor also?

No........

Zack
11-17-2008, 06:38 AM
Went to the dyno Saturday, but it didnt go to well.
Apparently my fuel system developed a problem very recently that showed up at 4000 rpm's: At 4000, the Fuel pump was at 100% duty cycle and fuel pressure was dropping fast.
Its either a loose connection it the tank, bad pump or clogged fuel filter.
Its no big deal, the driveability part and idle tuning is done and I can take care of the rest after the problem is resolved.

The car did make 290/430 @ 3500 rpm's.
Actually, it made 430 tq starting at 2600 and stayed flat as a board.
It runs pretty dam good :D

Zack
11-17-2008, 06:40 AM
So 10 brackets will be $3200 to make, roughly $320 a set cost but then sold for $600. $240 profit? :dunno:

Anyone is more than welcome to purchase a complete Cobra front dress, notch the frame and do the leg work finding the parts if they want.
Make sure you have 2-3k for all the stuff.

Zack
11-17-2008, 06:51 AM
I've got the same battery relocation ;) and I came across a Marauder with a Cobra assembly about two years ago that had a driver's-side relocation, so they beat us to it. Anyway, looks good! Random questions: what are you running for exhaust, torque converter, and gear on this car? Also, where's your windshield washer reservoir?

Stock TC, Kooks, 4:10's.
I havent relocated the windshield washer reservior yet.
Im gonna make something custom in the half moon of the drivers side wheel liner.

Dennis Reinhart
11-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Went to the dyno Saturday, but it didnt go to well.
Apparently my fuel system developed a problem very recently that showed up at 4000 rpm's: At 4000, the Fuel pump was at 100% duty cycle and fuel pressure was dropping fast.
Its either a loose connection it the tank, bad pump or clogged fuel filter.
Its no big deal, the driveability part and idle tuning is done and I can take care of the rest after the problem is resolved.

The car did make 290/430 @ 3500 rpm's.
Actually, it made 430 tq starting at 2600 and stayed flat as a board.
It runs pretty dam good :D

Good numbers, one thing you can try if the pump checks ok, is buy the heavy duty relay kit from Napa, run a large guage wire from the battery to the trunk, use the bump relay out put to trigger the relay and feed that to the FPDM and pumps it may save you investing in a BAP. The larger wire can carry far more curent than the stock OEM wire.

Zack
11-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Good numbers, one thing you can try if the pump checks ok, is buy the heavy duty relay kit from Napa, run a large guage wire from the battery to the trunk, use the bump relay out put to trigger the relay and feed that to the FPDM and pumps it may save you investing in a BAP. The larger wire can carry far more curent than the stock OEM wire.

Already did that.
I havent touched the fuel system since it ran the paxton (which made 450/410) at around 85% duty cycle.

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey Zack,

Newby here, but you have inspired me to do the same thing as you have just accomplished. I have the majority of the parts I need, and sourced the ones I don't.

On the alternator backets, you can purchase a kit from a Limousine conversion company for Dual alternators, and directly mount up the alternator backwards. The kit cost me about $125 shipped, with all parts needed and bolted right up!

The OEM 04 Cobra Supercharger Tensioner assm cost me approx. $320 and also bolted right up.

So my only question to you is, for the Supercharger bypass vacuum control valve and solenoid, how did you wire it to work. As we know the valve needs to open at high vacuum to bypass the boost from going into the engine, however from my diagrams of the o4 Cobra, the control solenoid for the valve is wired (driven) directly to the PCM. The PCM is the controling factor for boost bypass. The Marauder is not set up for a driver in the PCM to control this function......So how did you do it?

PS, I must have looked at your first post a hundred times now!!! Thank you a zillion times over, with out your pioneering this new path I could have never done it!

KillJoy
11-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Link to company that you got the Alt bracket from?

KillJoy

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Alternator backet assm. to put alt. backwards

http://www.infiniteinnovations.com/main.asp?p=1_216

KillJoy
11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Alternator backet assm. to put alt. backwards

http://www.infiniteinnovations.com/main.asp?p=1_216

Which one did you get (looks like 2)?

KillJoy

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Would have to look at the box at home,,,,but I think it was the more expensive one. I will post the part number asap.

KillJoy
11-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Would have to look at the box at home,,,,but I think it was the more expensive one. I will post the part number asap.

Also, where did you get the custom bracket for the Trnsioner?

KillJoy

KillJoy
11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Pic of the Alt Bracket:

http://www.infiniteinnovations.com/images/items/03%20LTC%20ALT.gif

KillJoy

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 10:41 AM
part number L3-1030 is all the bracket pieces, the L3-1000 is a prewired alternator.... I only purchased the L3-1030 and used my stock alt.

KillJoy
11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
part number L3-1030 is all the bracket pieces, the L3-1000 is a prewired alternator.... I only purchased the L3-1030 and used my stock alt.

Awesome info!

How about the Tensioner Bracket?

:dunno:

KillJoy

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I purchased the bracket/tensioner assm from ford part # 8b653, and have some small mods to make it work, but it will work fine. it cost me $325

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM
basically everything is set,,,,All I have left is to figure out how to make the boost bypass valve work correctly, and purchase a tuner and tune it.

KillJoy
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Just to make sure we are on the same page, the custom one Zack used is slightly visible in thei pic:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13 777&d=1226261799

How much work is needed on the one you got?

KillJoy

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Spacers to get it away from the stock belt tensioner and mount it to the heads. Its quite a big piece

Zack
11-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Mr. lincolnpimp, I admire your desire to make this kit work, but Im pretty sure you are in for a let down with the parts you are using.

Without the Alternator bracket in front of me, I cant say for sure if it will work or not, but Im inclined to say it most definitely will not.
On that ljmo bracket, it uses a different alternator and mounts it sideways, and there is no provision for an idler pulley on it, which is absoultely essential.

As for the Pulley bridge you bought from the cobra, that will 100% not work because it will interfere with the alternator on the drivers side.

If you can somehow make it work, great.
Do not waste money and spin your wheels chasing after something that will lead to a dead end. (which im pretty sure it is, sorry)

Zack
11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Spacers to get it away from the stock belt tensioner and mount it to the heads. Its quite a big piece

If you look how the belt tensioner mounts to the pulley bridge, you will notice it is fairly horizontal.

If you look at our bracket, you will notice it is mainly vertical.

There is no way the pulley bridge will work unless you use all the pulleys (thus the name) from the Cobra.

Zack
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Also, you cant space the pulley bridge away from the timing cover, because the belt tensioner will no longer line up with the blower belt.

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I have individually set up the above parts and with some mods, have bolted things up and it seems to be do-able. I DO realize that much work will be needed to bring it all togther, but I'm up for it!!!

How did you make the boost bypass vacuum valve work correctly on your set up?

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
I learn all my lessons the hard way!!!! This may be one,,,,,but I'm goin down with the ship if it is!

Zack
11-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Plug the lower port and hook the upper to vacuum/boost.

Zack
11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
This is the Cobra pulley bridge.
With the alternator on the drivers side, it just wont work.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/msmalls/DSCN5106.jpg

Zack
11-19-2008, 12:32 PM
You will need an idler pulley to make this work, as seen below:

BlownMerc
11-19-2008, 12:36 PM

The electric solenoid on the Cobra is so that the PCM can "dump" boost when it sees something it doesn't like, like low fuel pressure or engine overheat or something of the likes. It is not essential on a custom setup. You just hook the bypass valve hose to vacuum/boost and leave the solenoid out of the equation. If I am off base, I appologize, but I don't believe I am.

Zack
11-19-2008, 12:38 PM
The electric solenoid on the Cobra is so that the PCM can "dump" boost when it sees something it doesn't like, like low fuel pressure or engine overheat or something of the likes. It is not essential on a custom setup. You just hook the bypass valve hose to vacuum/boost and leave the solenoid out of the equation. If I am off base, I appologize, but I don't believe I am.

I dont even know what the hell you guys are talking about, but I sure as
***** dont have one on my car :D

BlownMerc
11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Straight from the Ford PCED:
The Supercharger Bypass (SCB) System allows the high pressure air at the outlet of the supercharger to vent back in the inlet of the supercharger, equalizing the pressure. This eliminates the boost (increased pressure that a supercharger produces) for times when supercharger function is undesirable. The components in this system are the vacuum bypass actuator (Figure 125) (which controls the bypass valve inside the supercharger), a supercharger (boost) bypass (SCB) solenoid (Figure 126) and a vacuum reservoir (Figure 127). The system normally operates with engine vacuum applied to the upper port of the vacuum bypass actuator, while the lower port references the air pressure in the clean air tube to cancel out any pressure difference in the intake air system. The actuator is set to open (bypassing the supercharger) during high vacuum engine conditions. As the throttle is opened, and engine vacuum decreases, the actuator closes to allow the supercharger to pressurize the air in the manifold. If an undesirable condition occurs in the engine, such as overheating or a critical Electric Engine Control (Electronic EC) sensor failure, the powertrain control module (PCM) also has the ability to control the SCB solenoid and direct the vacuum bypass actuator to bypass the supercharger. Once the engine condition has been corrected, the PCM allows the engine vacuum to control the vacuum bypass actuator.

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Ya you do. I can see it in your pics

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks, blownmerc, thats exactly the info i needed!!!!

Zack
11-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Ya you do. I can see it in your pics

I have a boost bypass valve, yes.

Definitely no electronic boost bypass...BTW, that is the first thing any Cobra owner will tell you do disconnect :D

BlownMerc
11-19-2008, 02:54 PM
that is the first thing any Cobra owner will tell you do disconnect :D

Yep 100%, most all I have seen

FordNut
11-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow. You guys are willing to spend $179 for the alternator bracket and $325 for the bridge bracket, then rig it up because it won't just bolt in place and work. That's over $500 for something that you MIGHT be able to make work. Just to keep from paying Zack $600 for something that has actually worked on more than one car.

KillJoy
11-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Wow. You guys are willing to spend $179 for the alternator bracket and $325 for the gridge bracket, then rig it up because it won't just bolt in place and work. That's over $500 for something that you MIGHT be able to make work. Just to keep from paying Zack $600 for something that has actually worked on more than one car.

I thought the same thing :D

KillJoy

Canadasvt
11-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Very cool and nicely done! Would this be the same blower as you used on my club website? It's on sale halfway down the page.
http://www.svtoa-toronto.ca/

lincolnpimp
11-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I would love to pay Zack $600 for brackets, and would to it right this very minute if he had them available....but it is my understanding that he can only have them made in lots of 10, and there for he would need ten buyers! Anyone else want some, call Zack!!! Then I'll send my $600 over right now!!!

Spectragod
11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I would love to pay Zack $600 for brackets, and would to it right this very minute if he had them available....but it is my understanding that he can only have them made in lots of 10, and there for he would need ten buyers! Anyone else want some, call Zack!!! Then I'll send my $600 over right now!!!

You and I make 2, we need 8 more, how about a GB? Otherwise, it's 6k for a marketed version.

Zack
11-21-2008, 05:57 AM
You and I make 2, we need 8 more, how about a GB? Otherwise, it's 6k for a marketed version.

Im in for another set myself (or 2 :D)
So we need 6

lincolnpimp
11-21-2008, 09:03 AM
come on guys let's do this!!!! only six more

Raudermaster
11-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Very cool and nicely done! Would this be the same blower as you used on my club website? It's on sale halfway down the page.
http://www.svtoa-toronto.ca/

Judging from the snout, that looks to be like a Whipple. Zack has the stock '03/04 Cobra/L blower, which is an Eaton.

*Edit, it also says it's a Whipple too.

lincolnpimp
11-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Bottom line is this,,,, I also have an 04 Cobra Eaton, lower intake, and charge air cooler. I will run custom intercooler lines, pump, and cooler.

Zack was right about using a Cobra SC tensioner. It will not work well and be strong enough, due to the timing cover being different from the Marauder and the SC Cobra.

Right now my options are as follows;

-Replace the timing cover with a SC Cobra timing cover, and all necessary components that would go with the Cobra set up.

-Use the flimsy setup I have of spacers and backwards Limo alternator (which really fits for ****)

-Buy a Trilogy (Trilogy is F-in Awsome, but I want to make my own set up, just a personal thing)

-AND LAST, get enough of us together to have Zack buy another set of brakets that he had made! THIS IS THE PREMIUM OPTION!!!! Let me know Zack! Your the man!

dpotter
11-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm in for a set, Zack's got my contact info if this moves forward. I've wanted to do the Eaton and now I'm even more inspired. Nice work Zack.

Zack
11-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Ok we need 4 more sets.

Motorhead350
11-23-2008, 01:01 PM
As weird as this sounds Zack made an old school style hot rod... homemade. By homemade I do not mean installing it, I mean making everything work since it's not something we can all order and have everything work. There was some time into this project. Again, great work!

justbob
11-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Agreed, now to finish a hot rod all he needs is bomber seats, quick change rear, and flat black.

Motorhead350
11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Agreed, now to finish a hot rod all he needs is bomber seats, quick change rear, and flat black.

I have never seen one of those. Are they still made?

justbob
11-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I was kidding, but i'm sure this would look nice with the right fab work. I think i can actually hear the gears in Zacks brain grinding.
http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/productdet.cfm?prodID=576

bob6364
11-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm down for a set as long as i can use paypal :D oh i guess cash works too...I wanna super charger on my MM Dammit.

Zack
11-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Ok we need 3 more sets (but the 10th is spoken for as soon as we get 9, so in actuality we need 2)

bob6364
11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Well lets movit i need Hp under my hood hehehe

Zack
11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I want to make it perfectly clear that anyone wanting to do this will have to find all the parts in post # 1 on their own.
Sometimes they are readily available, sometimes not.
It took me 2 months to find everything for this project.

bob6364
11-25-2008, 08:31 AM
yeah,yeah,yeah the eatons in my garage,buddy has the TB rails and new injectors for me and the rest is almost here...are the brackets done yet :D:D:rolleyes: wait till my wife trys to get an issue resolved with her ESP the garage will freak....muhahaha ....only couple miles left on it anyways.

lincolnpimp
11-26-2008, 08:15 PM
what will the turn around time be on the brackets once we have enough for the buy?

Zack
11-26-2008, 08:27 PM
what will the turn around time be on the brackets once we have enough for the buy?

We wont have enough committments.

..but if we do, I cant answer that question.

lincolnpimp
11-27-2008, 05:00 PM
I guess Im just gonna bite the bullet and get the cobra timing cover and use the cobra front set up...I know my costs will be up there, but it will be done right

FordNut
11-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Ok we need 3 more sets (but the 10th is spoken for as soon as we get 9, so in actuality we need 2)

I guess Im just gonna bite the bullet and get the cobra timing cover and use the cobra front set up...I know my costs will be up there, but it will be done right

I guess it's back up to 4...

Spectragod
11-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I reckon a Trilogy's in my future?? :dunno:

Zack
11-27-2008, 09:20 PM

With the $$$ you are gonna shell out for that, you are better off saving the extra money and buying a complete Cobra engine.

lincolnpimp
11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Like I said at the start,,,I'm goin down with the ship

dpotter
12-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I still want/need those custom brackets....c'mon people.

Zack
12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I still want/need those custom brackets....c'mon people.

Aint gonna happen.
Buy a Trilogy. ;)

..Theres a used one on here for 5k shipped.

Also, you just missed 3 used kits from Trilogy for 5200 w/ warranty.

ixlr8
01-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Eaton:$300
Lower Manifold & Intercooler: $600
Billetflow Pullies and hub: $200
Cobra Intake Tube: $90
Throttle Bracket: $18
Lightning MAF and MAFia: $150
Lower LFP pulley kit: $250
New blower belt tensioner: $90
Battery, tray and cable: $100
IAT sensor and pigtail: $35
Heat exchanger: $175
IC pump: $50
Injectors and IC reservoir: $120
2 Belts: $60
Custom brackets: $600 (Thanks to _____, you know who you are)
Misc hoses and fittings: $50
Air filter and adapter: $100
Welding of misc things: $40
Total: $3028 (without dyno tune)

Hi Zack,

I've been doing some research on your installation and you have some great information here! I have some questions I ran into during my notes that I was hoping you can help me out with:

1. You have listed the Billetflow pulleys and hub seperately from the Lower LFP pulley kit. Doesn't the LFP kit come with the hub or are you talking about something else? Also, what # pulley did you choose for the LFP kit?

2. What is the difference between the intercooler and the heat exchanger you have listed?

3. Where did you mount the intercooler pump and what switching 12V source did you use to power it?

4. Doesn't the Cobra use 39# injectors? Just checking.

5. Why did you change the IAT sensor?

6. You listed a Lightning MAF, we can use the Cobra MAF if we find one, correct?

7. I don't suppose you can supply us with some close up pics of the alternator installation, can you? C'mooooooon.....

8. Can you expound on what you had to do to the crossover tube to...and I cringe at the following expression...make it fit?

Thanks man!

Motorhead350
01-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Sorry, but I think He Gone.

EDIT: Nevermind here he is.

Av8tor
04-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Well this is my first post here but first i wanted to say props on a very nice car and setup. I dont have a marauder myself but have to say they are a great looking car and make for some awesome sleepers when you really starting working them over. The reason i signed up here is actually to ask a couple questions about a swap of my own which will be very similar to this. I currently own a 2004 lincoln aviator, with the same 4.6l which resides under your hoods. Ive began trying to get all the parts to do a cobra blower on it. And the only thing that worries me is the belts and routing. It looks like the rest should be pretty straight forward, but im curious how you came up with your setup for belts. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Zack
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Well this is my first post here but first i wanted to say props on a very nice car and setup. I dont have a marauder myself but have to say they are a great looking car and make for some awesome sleepers when you really starting working them over. The reason i signed up here is actually to ask a couple questions about a swap of my own which will be very similar to this. I currently own a 2004 lincoln aviator, with the same 4.6l which resides under your hoods. Ive began trying to get all the parts to do a cobra blower on it. And the only thing that worries me is the belts and routing. It looks like the rest should be pretty straight forward, but im curious how you came up with your setup for belts. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The custom brackets used in this kit are no longer available, unless 10 parties sign up.
You could always order a Trilogy SC and call it a day.

Av8tor
04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I looked at the trilogy kit, and there are 2 reasons i wanted to go the home made route. The first being that the trilogy kit has the outlet on the drivers side and my aviator has everything on the passenger side. But probably one of the bigger reasons, is because im taking my time building the kit, this way i can upgrade parts if i desire, plus i have some hookups for parts. Another part of this reason is that the vehicle still has powertrain warranty for another little while so this way i can piece together things and when its out of warranty ill be good to go.

PS i know youll probably say just take the time and save and get the full kit, but doing stuff like this is what i love to do. And i would get alot more enjoyment out of doing things myself than i would just buying a kit.

Drewstang
04-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Hey look, you found the thread I was about to link you to. :D

Av8tor
04-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Yep, thanks drewstang. It would be awesome if its possible to get a rough idea of what the brackets even look like so i know what we will have to make to get things to work. Ive already talked to a couple friends and they are confident we can make the brackets, but it would be awesome if we had a template or even pictures to see what the end product looks like.

Av8tor
04-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Hey zach, hope you dont mind me asking a couple questions about the swap, the one was that i was just curious what you ended up doing for the supercharger crank pulley, i have the cobra lower pulley but im curious if you did anything different. And i was also just wondering what you did for the boost bypass. Hope you dont mind my asking, im just kinda curious about those 2 things.

FordNut
04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Yep, thanks drewstang. It would be awesome if its possible to get a rough idea of what the brackets even look like so i know what we will have to make to get things to work. Ive already talked to a couple friends and they are confident we can make the brackets, but it would be awesome if we had a template or even pictures to see what the end product looks like.

Find a Trilogy manual, there are pictures of the Trilogy brackets. These are similar, but not exactly the same.

Spectragod
04-24-2009, 03:54 PM
The custom brackets used in this kit are no longer available, unless 10 parties sign up.
You could always order a Trilogy SC and call it a day.

Couldn't wait, ordered the Trilogy, problem solved...

FordNut
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Couldn't wait, ordered the Trilogy, problem solved...

Smart man...

Zack
04-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey zach, hope you dont mind me asking a couple questions about the swap, the one was that i was just curious what you ended up doing for the supercharger crank pulley, i have the cobra lower pulley but im curious if you did anything different. And i was also just wondering what you did for the boost bypass. Hope you dont mind my asking, im just kinda curious about those 2 things.

I used the Metco Crank pulley setup.

The boost bypass is a funny piece of hardware. I ended up leaving the lower port uncapped and the top port hooked to boost/vacuum.
Its not the right way, but allows the valve to close much faster when accelerating.

silvercoupe06
05-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Are people still considering a group buy on those pulleys?
I would like to get in on this if possible... doesn't seem like its gunna pan out tho.

Zack
05-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Are people still considering a group buy on those pulleys?
I would like to get in on this if possible... doesn't seem like its gunna pan out tho.

When I pay off my debts, I will buy the brackets myself and sell them.

musclemerc
05-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Not to high jack but i got a question for you Zack. Have you noticed that Kenny Belle has a blowzilla that is a driver side set up. Can you come up with a parts list to make it work on the MM?

Zack
05-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Not to high jack but i got a question for you Zack. Have you noticed that Kenny Belle has a blowzilla that is a driver side set up. Can you come up with a parts list to make it work on the MM?

Same concept and use of the brackets.
The only small detail you would have to sacrafice is windshield wipers.

burt ragio
05-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Why don't the each of you that need the bracket just divide the off set of the remaning bracket needed among your selves & call it a day. You can always sell them in the future.I'am sure someone will want to jump on the at some point. It will still be less cost than the alternative.

stryker
05-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Thank you mang for those pics to take ideas.

Spectragod
05-06-2009, 09:18 AM
When I pay off my debts, I will buy the brackets myself and sell them.

That's really swell of you. Instead of doing a GB, and everyone getting a deal, now, only you will get the deal, and everyone else will pay the freight. That's really nice of you....:flamer:

Glad I didn't wait for this "bargin" to happen..:shake:

Jeremy
05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
My car-fun fund is about dry for now.. but in the future, I'd love a set of those brackets..

fastblackmerc
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
That's really swell of you. Instead of doing a GB, and everyone getting a deal, now, only you will get the deal, and everyone else will pay the freight. That's really nice of you....:flamer:

You could do the same thing......

Zack
05-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Huh?
I will shell out the $$$ for all 10 sets of brackets and sell them for a profit.
Had I done a group buy, the cost to the customer would have been exactly the same!

Does that make sense? :confused:

Spectragod
05-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Huh?
I will shell out the $$$ for all 10 sets of brackets and sell them for a profit.
Had I done a group buy, the cost to the customer would have been exactly the same!

Does that make sense? :confused:

It was my understanding that if 10 or more got together for the purchase, they would get the same price as you were.

The way you wanting to do this, it's all profit for you.

I don't know, I thought that "helping" others was important, I guess I'm wrong, glad I went the route I did.............

Spectragod
05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
You could do the same thing......

I most certainly could, if that's how I operated, every step in life does not need to generate $$$ in my pocket.

SC Cheesehead
05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
It was my understanding that if 10 or more got together for the purchase, they would get the same price as you were.

The way you wanting to do this, it's all profit for you.

I don't know, I thought that "helping" others was important, I guess I'm wrong, glad I went the route I did.............

So let me see, Zack shells out several thousand dollars to have brackets made up that may or may not sell quickly, tying up his finances in the mean time and he's not entitled to make a couple bucks to cover his time, effort and risk in the investment.

Yeah, you're right, the rest of us po' folk are getting hosed on the deal.:rolleyes:

Putz....:shake:

Spectragod
05-06-2009, 06:41 PM
So let me see, Zack shells out several thousand dollars to have brackets made up that may or may not sell quickly, tying up his finances in the mean time and he's not entitled to make a couple bucks to cover his time, effort and risk in the investment.

Yeah, you're right, the rest of us po' folk are getting hosed on the deal.:rolleyes:

Putz....:shake:

Apparently you skipped over what I wrote and read what you wanted to read........

As I said, initially it was discussed that all in the GB would pay up front, so explain how that is Zack putting "his" money up front. It sounds like the members putting "their" money up and the middleman taking his cut.

If he is fronting the money, sure, he should make a profit.

I guess if your po' folk, and you want to spend the time waiting and building a kit, then that's your thing, I only got involved in this thread because I wanted a set of brackets.

I PM'd Zack asking about the GB, he told me to buy a Trilogy (wanna see the PM?), so I did just that, you should just keep waiting.......

Zack
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Apparently you skipped over what I wrote and read what you wanted to read........

As I said, initially it was discussed that all in the GB would pay up front, so explain how that is Zack putting "his" money up front. It sounds like the members putting "their" money up and the middleman taking his cut.

I guess if your po' folk, and you want to spend the time waiting and building a kit, then that's your thing, I only got involved in this thread because I wanted a set of brackets.

I PM'd Zack asking about the GB, he told me to buy a Trilogy (wanna see the PM?), so I did just that, you should just keep waiting.......

I told you to buy a Trilogy for 3 Reasons, and I have no problem listing them!
1: Best engineered kit, w/ instructions
2: Not enough interest in making a group buy happen.
3: I dont have the Paper money needed to pay the machine shop out of my own pocket (they dont take credit)

I dont know why you are making a stink over this, but I will tell you I got offended at the jab you took at me regarding me making a few bucks off of this. If I sell the brackets for $600 with the hardware to install it, I just saved you about $2400 if you were to buy a complete Eaton Swap kit off of a Mustang forum. If I was a consumer, I wouldnt give a rip at the cost of the brackets if I knew I was saving $2400! And my profit margin would be tiny after I split it with the guy who digitized the brackets!
SHEESH!!!!!

SC Cheesehead
05-07-2009, 02:24 AM

Okay, so I guess I'm still missing something here.

Not enough people committed to a group buy, so that's a dead issue, but there's still some guys that want them.

Zack made a suggestion about having a bunch of brackets made up so that interested parties could get them. If he does this, then it sounds like he's fronting the money and taking all the risk about getting hung with a few sets if they all don't sell...what did I miss there? :dunno:

As far as advice on buying a Trilogy, got to agree on that; Zack tells everybody that as JB makes a great SC set up for our cars, and that Trilogy is the way to go for a hassle-free bolt on installation. On the other hand, Zack's Eaton installation is unique and I guess that's what makes it so appealing to me. Yeah, I plan to keep waiting until I can get my hands on a set of custom brackets.

burt ragio
05-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Why are we making such a big deal out of this. Zack can simple point you in the direction of the machine shop he used along with the templet . The members who need the bracket can do thier own group buy. Said & done.

Zack
05-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Why are we making such a big deal out of this. Zack can simple point you in the direction of the machine shop he used along with the templet . The members who need the bracket can do thier own group buy. Said & done.

Cant do that, because the member here who did all the leg work digitizing the brackets and getting the first run made deserves his take.

musclemerc
05-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Zack should put together a manual for the install with pics, order the brackets himself, get all the small hard to find parts, and sell it as a kit. I personally do not have a problem waiting or him making a profit, he did the leg work and the engineering to make it happen so he should make a profit. I think when its all said and done more will come as we start posting "I installed my Zack supercharger" threads. Trilogy is indeed a beautiful set up (@$6300.00) but it's just not in my budget. But a proven Eaton set up (@$3500.00) is. Trilogy is making a killing with there set up because they have a monopoly. I wonder if they (Trilogy) made a Cobra set up how would the sell against the others like Kenny Belle? Zack make this kit and sell it.

O's Fan Rich
05-07-2009, 06:43 AM
^^^^:lol::lol::lol::lol:^^^^

:banana:

Spectragod
05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I told you to buy a Trilogy for 3 Reasons, and I have no problem listing them!
1: Best engineered kit, w/ instructions
2: Not enough interest in making a group buy happen.
3: I dont have the Paper money needed to pay the machine shop out of my own pocket (they dont take credit)

I dont know why you are making a stink over this, but I will tell you I got offended at the jab you took at me regarding me making a few bucks off of this. If I sell the brackets for $600 with the hardware to install it, I just saved you about $2400 if you were to buy a complete Eaton Swap kit off of a Mustang forum. If I was a consumer, I wouldnt give a rip at the cost of the brackets if I knew I was saving $2400! And my profit margin would be tiny after I split it with the guy who digitized the brackets!
SHEESH!!!!!

1: Yes, it is engineered well.
2: There was quite a bit of interest, I would have bought 2 sets if that was what it took to have made it happen.
3: There was never talk of money out of your pocket, it was my impression the buyers were to "front" the $$$$

I'm not making a stink over it, at first, it seemed that this was going to be a "we're getting the parts at your cost" type thing, then you posted when you can come up with the coin, you would buy them and sell at a profit. That is the only reason I posted anything.

I never took a jab at you, not intentionally at least.

Is providing the brackets a service... yep. But when initially started, it seemed that these would be a cost type thing, then it became a for profit type thing.

Providing all the info you give is a service, as is other info others provide, thanks for steering me to getting the Trilogy, beats the hell out of the waiting game. I probably wouldn't have been happy with the Eaton anyhow.

You ought to put together these kits yourself, there would probably be quite an interest for a kit complete, and being that your doing all that legwork, a profit would most certainly be in order.........:beer:

Zack
05-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I dont want to sell a kit, that requires a lot of legal things and I cant exactly warranty used parts.
My intent was to sell the brackets with a free 'recipe' to make the kit come to life. :up:

FormulaMarauder
05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
We appreciate your efforts Zack. Not for nothing, but I have a great machine shop friend that can probably fab those pretty cheap. If you send me over a VERY accurate depiction, or the part itself, I can see what he can do. Trust me when I say it will be probably half of what you are looking at right now. The man owes favors. :)

Zack
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
We appreciate your efforts Zack. Not for nothing, but I have a great machine shop friend that can probably fab those pretty cheap. If you send me over a VERY accurate depiction, or the part itself, I can see what he can do. Trust me when I say it will be probably half of what you are looking at right now. The man owes favors. :)

I appreciate it, but I am loyal to my promise of properly compensating the guy who made them to begin with.
Im not going behind his back!

SC Cheesehead
05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
You ought to put together these kits yourself, there would probably be quite an interest for a kit complete, and being that your doing all that legwork, a profit would most certainly be in order.........:beer:

I think you and I are actually reading off the same page, I'd like to see this as well, but I think he's probably going to stick with providing info, assistance, etc. rather than market a full kit.

Too bad, though, it would be great.

xavier296
07-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Still appreciate the pics Zack, I am finishing up my eaton conversion this weekend. We just used the 03-04 cobra front cover. Total with tuning should come in around 3500-3800.
Did you have any problem with the water line in the valley?

O's Fan Rich
07-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Still appreciate the pics Zack, I am finishing up my eaton conversion this weekend. We just used the 03-04 cobra front cover. Total with tuning should come in around 3500-3800.

It may be awhile until he answers you here.

ImpalaSlayer
07-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Zack has been banned so he wont be able to answer your questions

justbob
07-24-2009, 04:21 PM
To answer your question, no.

FordNut
07-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Have to use the Cobra tube.

lincolnpimp
07-25-2009, 07:58 PM
No cobra tube needed... just carefully hammer the tube a bit... This was from Zacks mouth and I did it. Worked fine.

Have to use the Cobra tube.

bawazir
03-03-2010, 08:35 PM
More pics:
The crossover tube was a huge PITA, but worked out good.

Ones again Zack,
nice set up can't wait for mine to be done :drool:

bawazir
03-04-2010, 12:55 AM
:burnout: .