PDA

View Full Version : SSHS9 Suggestions

FordNut
11-12-2008, 06:06 AM
I'm opening this thread while SSHS8 is still fresh in our memories. Comments are scattered in various threads about how it could have been better. So they are easier to find, please post suggestions in this thread so we can readily find them next year. No guarantees that all of them can happen, but we can try.

A few things that have been mentioned in threads or verbally:

More than 1 pro tree class
Bring back the bolt-on class (HOBO?)
Cut down the bracket classes by 1
3 rounds of qualifying
Coordinate with INC (or somebody) to have a car show
Re-design the t-shirts vs a simple revision/copy of last year's
Have some vendors setup stands/tents for accessories

MarauderTJA
11-12-2008, 06:28 AM
I agree Brian. One more.

> A big dog class for full interior street cars...

Pops
11-12-2008, 06:28 AM
How about a Nostalgia class. :D It would also help bring more spectators and add to a car show!

MGM02
11-12-2008, 07:34 AM
I agree Brian. One more.

Adding to this. A street legal class, must registered and insured.

MarauderTJA
11-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Adding to this. A street legal class, must registered and insured.

That MUST BE PART of the Big Dog Street Class as well. Tough to compete with gutted interiors, stripped w/no ac, heater, fuel cells etc etc. But I am doing it now and still welcome the challenge to the Marauder big dog (Jerry Barnes - Trilogy One), who I truly respect. Never mind this other guy who has a big bore, stroker, insane 3.4 blower. Another friend (Brian a FordNut kinda guy) who I also truly respect. Then there is this :nworthy:ZACK guy who has been silent :dunno:. Or :chicken:...:lol:

Here again, my stock 4.6 block will meet the challenge. I am not done going lower with my car.
Overall, it is all in fun for us Extreme Marauder guys.:beer:

Pops
11-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Might want to consider having a 10.0 heads up class. That helps to make the rules easier to comply with. I like the Turbo Impala and John the owner. He has a great car and it is the fastest no doubt. I do not want to take anything away from him as he has a class act. But it may be time to have a 9.99 and faster class.

BISHOPSS95
11-12-2008, 08:09 AM
More than 1 pro tree class

I would very much like to do that. What happens is I get people running in more than one class then cool down becomes an issue.

Cut down the bracket classes by 1

We introduced this to eliminate the ability to run more than one class.

3 rounds of qualifying

I can barely get them to the line for two. Most wait till the last one anyway.

Coordinate with INC (or somebody) to have a car show

Agree, however INC is not really a club but more a gathering. Yes I would like very much like a car show. Judging is always an issue.

Re-design the t-shirts vs a simple revision/copy of last year's

Go wild!!!

Have some vendors setup stands/tents for accessories

I agree.

Thanks keep it comming

merc
11-12-2008, 08:56 AM
What about a SSHS9 Forum?

magindat
11-12-2008, 09:12 AM
My suggestion is one of publicity. We should hit the CVN, LX, and other big car forums, including mercurymarauder.com and other older car sites, especially if there will be a significant sanctioned static show.

Hit them soon. Hit them early. Give people plenty time to 'save up' and get time off!

O's Fan Rich
11-12-2008, 09:19 AM
BBQ ribs for lunch......?

FordNut
11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
BBQ ribs for lunch......?

We did have BBQ at SSHS7, but the same group of people who put that together are now working on making the overall event happen. Somebody else needs to step up in order to have "extra" activities.

Marauderman
11-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Although I did not run this year- I have not seen any comments yet on the track---but watching the runs, the track appeared to be a problem--not sure if from the rain the night before, the cooler temps in the AM or overall track prep...but I'm glad in a way I did not run---maybe if some of those who did run have a comment on maybe track prep being "better" in some way --if it is a cost problem then it needs to be highlited and maybe some set aside to insure that item is covered--no pun intended...

In a November time frame of year the weather is a bit more unpredicatable, so I'm just meantioning track as an item of discussion if there is a suggestion out there that can be addressed --if any at all....if the track did get/receive all the attention possible at this last event , then I guess it must have been the weather

TooManyFords
11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree Brian. One more.

Tom, you'll have to be more specific or there will be a lot of people wondering what "full interior street car" means.

TooManyFords
11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Defining Full Interior might need its own thread...

TooManyFords
11-12-2008, 10:44 AM
How about a Nostalgia class. :D It would also help bring more spectators and add to a car show!

I agree.

An AA/GS Marauder would be cOoL! With only 281c.i. it would be a CC/GS. I need to get the 557 in there to be AA/GS.

BISHOPSS95
11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Although I did not run this year- I have not seen any comments yet on the track---but watching the runs, the track appeared to be a problem--not sure if from the rain the night before, the cooler temps in the AM or overall track prep...but I'm glad in a way I did not run---maybe if some of those who did run have a comment on maybe track prep being "better" in some way --if it is a cost problem then it needs to be highlited and maybe some set aside to insure that item is covered--no pun intended...

In a November time frame of year the weather is a bit more unpredicatable, so I'm just meantioning track as an item of discussion if there is a suggestion out there that can be addressed --if any at all....if the track did get/receive all the attention possible at this last event , then I guess it must have been the weather

Track prep is always key. The Atlanta DragWay was just rebuilt this year. It now has concrete all the way to the 1/8 point. I can assure you the staff is on top of the game and safety is first.

That being said, weather is always a key. The cold temps and cats in the morning mean water out the pipes on the starting line. I mentioned to leave the cars running in the staging lanes at first for this reason. It did rain the night before too.

We had a couple of breaks in the morning. One was a rear-end down the last 1/8. That stuff is a mess and when you add a syntethic you add twice the time.

Another test & tune round after lunch has also been mentioned.

I fail to see how the amount of personal bests can equate to poor track prep. We had a bunch break out in the brackets as the afternoon came on. Not giving you a hard time, but I am :neener:

Pops
11-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Jim the track did get faster in the afternoon! The crew worked hard all day to keep it up. It did look like the right lane was a touch better than the left at the line.

scoutrjp
11-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Mr. Bishop is correct, I had my personal best and did breakout in the final. The track is in much better condition then in past years as this is my home track

John Nero
11-12-2008, 12:42 PM
i had my personal best- i thought the track was fine

MarauderTJA
11-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Tom, you'll have to be more specific or there will be a lot of people wondering what "full interior street car" means.

I agree John. Lets just say not a gutted or stripped race car. AC/heater, workable windshield wipers, no fuel cells, registered and insured, all lights work. Sort of the class like True Street with NMRA. 10.0 et to 11.0 et heads-up class. Difficult to compete in Big Dog against 8.8 et cars.

MarauderTJA
11-12-2008, 07:05 PM
I fail to see how the amount of personal bests can equate to poor track prep. We had a bunch break out in the brackets as the afternoon came on. Not giving you a hard time, but I am :neener:

The morning was a bit rough. I was blowing the tires off. But certainly later on, you are right, a few personal bests were achieved including mine. You need to do something about the brutal head wind coming down the track though:lol:.

Glenn
11-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I also thought the track was good. I red lighted on my first run doing my normal launch. I also ran my personal best - 11.92. I also ran very consistent 11.92, 12.14 and 12.05.

Glenn :burnout:

TooManyFords
11-12-2008, 07:31 PM
I agree John. Lets just say not a gutted or stripped race car. AC/heater, workable windshield wipers, no fuel cells, registered and insured, all lights work. Sort of the class like True Street with NMRA. 10.0 et to 11.0 et heads-up class. Difficult to compete in Big Dog against 8.8 et cars.

It's not difficult, it just takes wheelbarrows of money, time and patience.

The problem with trying to further classify the field is where do we draw the line?

Fastest Marauder is pretty easy to define. Did it say Marauder on it when it was built? Yes. Whoever has one of those and has the lowest E.T. time slip is the winner. The problem I have with anyone trying to further sub-divide the car into classes is that if we work hard enough, everyone is #1 somehow. Why not the fastest Back-Half Marauder then? (j/k)

And please don't get me wrong, this is not to show any disrespect for a fine 10.40 run. No, the real problem I have in doing this when we talk about racing is that we introduce potential safety risks. No fuel cell? 135 mph? Really? How about adding that street cars can't run drag radials?

It's ok to run up to 11.49 with our cars and I truly believe that, for now anyway. NHRA has made it their business to figure out what is safe and what isn't. But going faster requires the upgrades; safe SFI upgrades. At some point, if you want to do all of that to your car to run that fast, I say more power to you! Excellent! Way to represent!!

To be honest, NHRA is starting to have a hard time with cars going as fast as we do at the speeds we are reaching. Almost all of their classes and restrictions only go as high as 3400 lb cars. Wait till all the really heavy cars start rolling in the 8-9 second range and see what restrictions they start adding. We push the envelope and these land barges are building up an incredible amount of kinetic energy. What happens when one of us loses it at the top end with that kind of weight? I don't even want to think about it and I'm almost sorry I typed it in.

Here's my solution.

Get rid of bracket racing and switch over to class racing. Have a 14.00, 13.00, 12.00, 11.00 and 10.00 classes. Anything faster than 10.0 is strictly heads up and there is no limit to the changes. If the cars have a minimum weight restriction, then as long as the safety gear is in place, fine. Three qualifying passes and average the time slips and sort out the winners.

Everyone can pick a class and shoot for it. In this case, you clearly are gunning for the 10.00 class.

Marauderman
11-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Track prep is always key. I fail to see how the amount of personal bests can equate to poor track prep. We had a bunch break out in the brackets as the afternoon came on. Not giving you a hard time, but I am :neener:

All I was eluding too was the track conditions cause I heard alot of those who ran earily say that the track was slick,etc,...
I did not mean the track did not get any prep---if taken that way I am sorry---just that I saw alot of spininning earily---and as typical as it gets warmer it gets better--as the times showed---

Was not trying to give the idea but if taken that the track was preped poorly--not so---was just wondering as the thread suggested ---The track--anything suggestions you think of.....so I was thinking anything regarding its prep--anywho--guess this is getting old by now and a bit taken out of context-so its best to pass and keep on going--

Your right --with alot of personal best --it would be difficult to even consider the track was selfish in having its way ---but maybe a thought that if it is cooler or wet a way to heat the track in the morning or earily part of the mornig --after all--it was a threrad on 'suggestions"...thanks--

red
11-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Here's my solution.

Get rid of bracket racing and switch over to class racing. Have a 14.00, 13.00, 12.00, 11.00 and 10.00 classes. Anything faster than 10.0 is strictly heads up and there is no limit to the changes. If the cars have a minimum weight restriction, then as long as the safety gear is in place, fine. Three qualifying passes and average the time slips and sort out the winners.

Everyone can pick a class and shoot for it. In this case, you clearly are gunning for the 10.00 class.
Good solution! I totally agree!

teamrope
11-13-2008, 12:00 AM
I wish I were a lot closer. I watch the results with envy. Our tracks have been closed since early October.

DEFYANT
11-13-2008, 05:28 AM
SSHS9 + Marauderville = :dunno:

MarauderTJA
11-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Here's my solution.

I agree for the most part in what you are saying. I personally hate bracket racing. Old school I guess. Heads-up in a timed class is a the way to go as you stated (the way it use to be years ago). As far as heavy cars go, we are such a small minority I honestly do not think NHRA will bother to change the safety rules. Our cars by the nature of the size, full frame, 4 door build are far safer than Mustangs and smaller cars at high speeds.

My point is a gutted, stripped race car with a profesionnal driver is hard to compete against compared to the majority of us that have street, daily drivers and race them ourselves. Hell, if Sherman drove my car my run may have been at least 2 tenths lower due to his lighter weight. I want to accomplish my best ET with me driving her, which I have done for the past 4 years.

Then again, there were only two cars that were set up strictly for drag racing, Jerry's and Marty's. So your class structure works for me. I am not stripping anything out of my car for the 2-3 times a year I drag race. I know she has a lower ET run in her to which I will accomplish. We all do this for the fun of it, no cash prizes etc. My goal is beat that Barnes guy (my friend) at least once with a better ET time slip before he goes crazy with his Trilogy One, and/or at least be King of the Marauders for a short time. I have world record in 1/4 mile MPH and that is no small accomplishment either, to which I am extremely proud. Then there is YOU to DEAL WITH YOU BIG BLOCK GUY YOU:beer:. People look at guys like us John and say, " we are sick." An illness I guess we personally love.:lol:

O's Fan Rich
11-13-2008, 07:47 AM
SSHS9 + Marauderville = :dunno:

It would sure help with turnout.

Brian, If I were closer, I'd help organize. Hard to make the meetings.
Maybe there could be a way to get a forum, or something for Organizing. Or something like this: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/?Portal=www.gotomeeting.com
I have a phone, a computer and the ability to make deals. Maybe we who are on the outskirts could assist with getting vendors, sponsors or such?

Pops
11-13-2008, 07:55 AM
It would sure help with turnout.

Brian, If I were closer, I'd help organize. Hard to make the meetings.
Maybe there could be a way to get a forum, or something for Organizing. Or something like this: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/?Portal=www.gotomeeting.com
I have a phone, a computer and the ability to make deals. Maybe we who are on the outskirts could assist with getting vendors, sponsors or such?

This was discussed at the event Rich. You found the place for it to happen! :D

TooManyFords
11-13-2008, 08:21 AM
My point is a gutted, stripped race car with a profesionnal driver is hard to compete against compared to the majority of us that have street, daily drivers and race them ourselves.

No argument there, but it is not impossible. Last year I won the first bracket race I've ever entered. It was a 32 car field against the entire years Sportsman racers in the final race of the season. After every win I was back in the pits conferring with my racing friends that have done it for years. What do I dial? What do I look for? Do I fender him and dive on the brakes? (the correct answer to the final two races and the win!) So it is not impossible, but I probably won't win another bracket race for a long, long time.

I have world record in 1/4 mile MPH and that is no small accomplishment either, to which I am extremely proud.

And you should be! (and getting the rest of the 8-point cage too!) LOL!

Then there is YOU to DEAL WITH YOU BIG BLOCK GUY YOU:beer:. People look at guys like us John and say, " we are sick." An illness I guess we personally love.:lol:
HAHA! Yes, it is a sickness!

Cheers!

Paul T. Casey
11-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Brian, how about a pro tree/ bracket class, not unlike the old Mod Comp (later Mod Motor) at the FFW events. 2 passes to establish a dial in, which is assigned from siad passes, not decided on in staging lanes. I believ they give a 5% breakout allowance. It's really a fun class, and it makes you think. Allow these guys to run this and a bracket would be perfect.

merc
11-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Here's my solution.

If you proceed with this logic, then we should further separate the crowd by using a Pro Tree. What you are talking about is running a heads up index race. I totally disagree with this line of thinking. The vast majority of participates are not races, but merely race less then 4 times a year. Bracket racing attempts to level out the playing field. I have seen too many racing abuses with heads up class. I have run 10 second cars with electronic to know how fair this would not be.

The real issue is marketing the event and managing it's growth. We can draw from past year experience but you must be creative in our vision. That's why I think having a SSHS9 forum is a good first step. From that point we can air out thoughts and promote good ideas.

MarauderTJA
11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
And you should be! (and getting the rest of the 8-point cage too!) LOL!

HAHA! Yes, it is a sickness!

Cheers!

I still hate braket racing regardless:mad:. I agree with Merc, a Pro-tree is fine with me for heads-up.

I have a 7 point now. Plan is to lower my ET and MPH below 135 so I can stay where I am with the cage:D. Easy upgrade if I want though.

MarauderTJA
11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
That's why I think having a SSHS9 forum is a good first step. From that point we can air out thoughts and promote good ideas.

I agree 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

O's Fan Rich
11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I

The real issue is marketing the event and managing it's growth. We can draw from past year experience but you must be creative in our vision. That's why I think having a SSHS9 forum is a good first step. From that point we can air out thoughts and promote good ideas.

yep. Marketing is key.
Larger event, more cars, more spectators means vendors become more interested, sponsorships are easier to obtain......

That makes it actually easier in the long run.

MarauderTJA
11-13-2008, 10:51 AM
yep. Marketing is key.
Larger event, more cars, more spectators means vendors become more interested, sponsorships are easier to obtain......

And magazine coverage as well, which will build on participation for the event each year.

Charlie (Defyant) also mentioned running a Marauderville at the same time. Good idea as well.

KillJoy
11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Charlie (Defyant) also mentioned running a Marauderville at the same time. Good idea as well.

:up:

It would definately help to motivate at least a few more by combining the 2 events. And, GA is kind of central.

:beer:

KillJoy

MarauderTJA
11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
:up:

It would definately help to motivate at least a few more by combining the 2 events. And, GA is kind of central.

:beer:

KillJoy

If we did that, I would like to see both a littler earlier in the fall.

Oh Yeah, no stinkin Corvettes will be allowed - traitor:lol:

KillJoy
11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
If we did that, I would like to see both a littler earlier in the fall.

Oh Yeah, no stinkin Corvettes will be allowed - traitor:lol:

:rolleyes:

:D

KillJoy

Paul T. Casey
11-13-2008, 12:51 PM
If you proceed with this logic, then we should further separate the crowd by using a Pro Tree. What you are talking about is running a heads up index race. I totally disagree with this line of thinking. The vast majority of participates are not races, but merely race less then 4 times a year. Bracket racing attempts to level out the playing field. I have seen too many racing abuses with heads up class. I have run 10 second cars with electronic to know how fair this would not be.

Totally agree with Merc here on this one. Unless you index on the 1/2 second breaks, you'll discourage anyone who runs xx.3 to xx.8. If you index on the halves, you'll end up with about 20 classes, again not a good idea. Most of the participants at the SSHS are not "full time" racers who would be able to tell if they were running 13.6 or 13.7 on a particular run. Heck, I'm not sure even the finest of the Chevy guys (they've been at it about 8 more years than most here) are that well honed. Index racing on a pro tree is a blast, but not for the size event we do. The forum is a great idea though.

mcb26
11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
yep. Marketing is key.

A lot of that would depend on the seed money for the event. I would like to see it also.

Blown3.8
11-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Track was fine... most racers tires were not.

Heads up et breaks are fun, but definatly don't put a pro tree in there too. Most of the cars at this event don't react that quick, so if you get a few that do they will always win.

Maybe have a few heads up classes for the quicker cars 10.0-12.0 and regular brackets for the slower cars or guys that don't want to heads up.

I'm all for some heads up racin!

Of coarse it all depends on how many cars in certain time brackets show up and there you go back to more publicity.

Keep the thoughts comming this is good.