PDA

View Full Version : 18" Winter/ M & S tires FS

Davesvt2000
11-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Posting for a friend:

Michelin Pilot Alpin

245/40/R18 93V

Used for one season on a BMW 5 series.

1/4 inch tread on all, pics available at request.

$250 BO, willing to meet up within 45 minutes of Leominster.

CRUZTAKER
11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I am thinking there will be T/C and ABS issues with this size on certain Marauders.

As a matter of fact, this size was never even an option in the Marauder tire matrix. I am not sure if our rim width is appropriate either.

Definately definately gonna look wierd with this size on all fours.

Good for someone here with a beamer though!
$250 for 4 tires is quite a deal.

Hell...I'd hang 'em from trees for the kids to play on for that price. :P

red
11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I am thinking there will be T/C and ABS issues with this size on certain Marauders.
I am not sure if our rim width is appropriate either.
They're same-sized, so this they will engage traction control on Marauders that have it. However, there should be no effect on ABS. 8.5" would be an ideal wheel width for a 245/40, but 8" is usually within spec at this aspect ratio. The main problems I see with these (for Winter use) are that they have reduced sidewall height, are wider than what most owners use for winter setups, and will increase torque as they're shorter. Also, the stated 93 load index is quite low for our cars. According to Tire Rick, the PA3 version of the Alpin is a 97.

hot-rauder
11-20-2008, 03:00 PM
so will they or wont they mount up on a Marauder.... i have 16 CVPI steelies i HATE and would love to get these, plus i am only 1 mile away from DaveSVT lol

red
11-20-2008, 11:19 PM
so will they or wont they mount up on a Marauder.... i have 16 CVPI steelies i HATE and would love to get these, plus i am only 1 mile away from DaveSVT lol
Umm... they will. But see what I said above, especially about the load index, which means you'll be heating them up more quickly and that they'll be more susceptible to break down / failure. You're probably better getting a slightly narrower, taller Winter tire. And, what width are the steelies? I'm guessing 7", which is too narrow for these tires.

hot-rauder
11-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Umm... they will. But see what I said above, especially about the load index, which means you'll be heating them up more quickly and that they'll be more susceptible to break down / failure. You're probably better getting a slightly narrower, taller Winter tire. And, what width are the steelies? I'm guessing 7", which is too narrow for these tires.

i only drive 4 miles to work and back n the winter.... so they wont heat up too much, and the CVPI steelies have snow tires on them but they are too small and mess with the ABS over 50, which i dont go anymore anyways on the way to work.

would it be safe to run these on a stock MM rim and during winter conditions?

Davesvt2000
11-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Adam, I might have these sold tomorrow, if the guy doesnt show, you can have them.

red
11-21-2008, 11:21 PM
the CVPI steelies have snow tires on them but they are too small and mess with the ABS over 50, which i dont go anymore anyways on the way to work.
Are they the same size on all corners? What size are the tires? What problems are you having?

would it be safe to run these on a stock MM rim and during winter conditions?
That's your call. I provided you my input.

hot-rauder
11-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Red,
they are all 265-60-16?

they are all the same size, actually they are from a CV. i got them for free so i couldnt complain. i paid $80 total for all the rims so i wont complain.

over 50mph for about 2-3 minutes the ABS light comes on and the ABS stops working. breaks work but they will lock up if hit hard.
same on all corners for tire sizes but i have a 300a without traction control

Davesvt2000
11-22-2008, 11:30 AM
TIRES are SOLD !!

red
11-22-2008, 09:42 PM
they are all 265-60-16?

they are all the same size, actually they are from a CV. i got them for free so i couldnt complain. i paid $80 total for all the rims so i wont complain.

over 50mph for about 2-3 minutes the ABS light comes on and the ABS stops working. breaks work but they will lock up if hit hard.
same on all corners for tire sizes but i have a 300a without traction control
Thanks for the info hot-rauder. That's interesting as these are virtually identical in height as our stock tires.