PDA

View Full Version : My drivetrain is complete, and OH EM GEE!

TooManyFords
11-23-2008, 07:51 PM
I picked up my car yesterday from H&W SpeedShop and WOW!

To recap:

I replaced the 4R70W with a built Turbo 400 trans that has a reverse manual valve body and trans-brake, which is mated to the 4.6 via a JW UltraBell and a 5000 stall 8" converter. On the back of the TH400 is a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit. Behind that, a heady duty Chevy yoke with a Spicer 1350 Solid u-joint (the toughest u-joint you can get). On the other side of the u-joint is a custom built 4" O.D. steel drive shaft with another one of those 1350 u-joints at the end. Connected to that is the Moser 9-inch nodular case differential in a custom-built case, welded tubes with u-channel back brace. The chunk has a forged lightweight 35-spline spool with 4.88 Pro Gears and a billet large bearing pinion support. The axles are Mosers and gun drilled. The ends have the large bearing ends and have double axle seals to eliminate leaks. The brakes are Wilwood Dynalights with vented rotors.

And the first driving experience?

W O W !

With the GV set in auto mode, it will make the switch into OD when the car reaches 20 mph and stays in OD mode. That doesn't sound so special, but when drag racing it means that it makes the first shift out of the hole without me doing anything. This lowers the 60-ft time and lets me concentrate on getting the car hooked up and moving straight before I start pulling gears. With the 4.88 gears, the weight transfer is unbelievable!

(whoa, BillyG flashback!)

My Dyno shop told me to come back when I upgrade the tranny, so now it is ready. When I have new numbers I'll get them posted.

With two laps of University ave today, I purchased a gallon of Prestone and changed the coolant so it is ready for Winter. Next year is going to be a blast!

As soon as I get the pictures from Brian, I'll post more.. FYI, those Sportsmans really wrinkle up, even on the street...

Cheers!

John

BUCKWHEAT
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
John, the track here opens in March. Time to come see the relatives.

FordNut
11-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Cool! Congrats on getting it going again. I won't be too far behind you with my new transmission setup.

TooManyFords
11-23-2008, 08:03 PM
John, the track here opens in March. Time to come see the relatives.

I will see you in March. :)

Cool! Congrats on getting it going again. I won't be too far behind you with my new transmission setup.

Hang in there Brian, it is worth it. ;)

SC Cheesehead
11-23-2008, 08:13 PM
John,

Looking forward to seeing the photos, and also the car next spring.

red
11-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Congrats! Can't wait to watch it run!

TAKEDOWN
11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
That's awesome... ENJOY!

Vortech347
11-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I would love to see an In-car video of this thing shifting down a 1/4 mile!!!!!!!!!!

ctrlraven
11-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Video.......LOTS of them please!

ImpalaSlayer
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
you got some screws loose

and i like it! :up: