PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Mod: The cheap, easy & intelligent way

Zack
11-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Long of the short, I only did this during my hunt for my fuel issue at WOT (leaning out at 4000 rpm's) Im actually kinda glad it happened, because I can bring you another option to reduce bends, restrictions or just ease your mind.

First off, let me show you a pic of the dreaded 90 degree bends before and after the fuel filter. Let it be known that the bends are not the issue, the factory fittings are. The pic will explain:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod007.jpg?t=1227661 821

Starting with a 5/16" fuel line is ok, but dropping down to .190 is silly with a blower. FAIL.
Where I labeled KINK, is where the plastic line had collapsed over the last 6 months. I attribute this happening due to the bigger fuel filter. I would have never spotted the problem had I not cut the rubber hose away. I suppose if the fuel filter had been moved to the rear a little more, this problem may not have occured. Who knows.

Now for the fix:
1st pic shows the factory line cut off and the fuel filter, which I flared the ends of ever so slightly: (so the hose clamp and line would not slip off; I used a standard plumbers flaring tool)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod001.jpg?t=1227659 314

Notice the factory end on the left. I needed to shorten it to avoid kinking the rubber line to replace it. There is still a lip to prevent the hose/clamp from slipping off:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod002.jpg?t=1227660 653

Pic of the backside. No modification needed on the factory line:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod003.jpg?t=1227661 319

Hooking everything up is as simple as obtaining fuel injection hose from the local FLAPS in 5/16" inside diameter. Then get some fuel injection hose clamps.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod006.jpg?t=1227661 492

This mod should set you back 15-20 bucks on the high end. Most blower cars never have a fuel issue with factory parts, but for the money, and increased volume of the fuel line at these points, it only makes sense to just do it for piece of mind.
Glad to help :beer:

sd8683
11-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Nice write up zack, would you recomend this mod for a N/A car?

KillJoy
11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
:up:

EVERYONE should check this!!!! AND do this MOD!!!

KillJoy

NATEHAWK
11-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Think I will be doing this asap. I just upgraded to the bigger fuel filter. I never flared tubing before. Is it really required look like you just cut the tip off....Also wanted to say nice fine and great informative write up

Zack
11-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Think I will be doing this asap. I just upgraded to the bigger fuel filter. I never flared tubing before. Is it really required look like you just cut the tip off....Also wanted to say nice fine and great informative write up

You can do it without flaring it, but I recommend doing it.
A flaring tool is like 5 bucks from the hardware store and is cake to do.

As for it looking like I cut the tip off??? I dont know what you mean. You might be wondering if the fuel line will slide over the lip already on the fuel filter, and the answer is definitely no.
Hope this helped.

Zack
11-25-2008, 07:21 PM
If you can DOUBLE FLARE the line, that would be even better.
That, however is difficult and more expensive for the kit.

larryo340
11-25-2008, 09:15 PM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod002.jpg?t=1227660 653

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod006.jpg?t=1227661 492

I like what you have done, but would it be possible to make the foward line a straighter run like the feed line? If you unbolted the lines off of the frame and then cut the upward curve out of it, flared the line and end up with it looking just like the feed line.

By the way, nice jack :)

CRUZTAKER
11-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Me likey....;)

ctrlraven
11-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Hooray for cheap insurance mods!

Zack
11-26-2008, 06:15 AM
I like what you have done, but would it be possible to make the foward line a straighter run like the feed line? If you unbolted the lines off of the frame and then cut the upward curve out of it, flared the line and end up with it looking just like the feed line.

By the way, nice jack :)

Sure you could, but I like posting modifications everone would feel comfortable doing.

If I had a tubing bender at the house, i would have just bent the factory line a little straighter.

Since there are no kinks in the rubber hose, its A-OK in my book.;)

RF Overlord
11-26-2008, 07:36 AM
I used a standard plumbers flaring toolZack, would a brake-line flaring tool work?

BTW, excellent write-up...thanks! :bows:

larryo340
11-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Sure you could, but I like posting modifications everone would feel comfortable doing.

If I had a tubing bender at the house, i would have just bent the factory line a little straighter.

Since there are no kinks in the rubber hose, its A-OK in my book.;)

Makes sense :up:

O's Fan Rich
11-26-2008, 08:03 AM
My Snap-on Blue Point Double flare kit goes up to 1/2 line.....

NATEHAWK
11-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I see now I wasn't reading the thread right. You flared the ends of the fuel filter to help the clamps and hose stay on a lil tighter I got cha. Think I will do this today.

Zack
11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Zack, would a brake-line flaring tool work?

BTW, excellent write-up...thanks! :bows:

Yep, they are one and the same.
You are welcome ;)

Fourth Horseman
11-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Great idea, Zack. I'm going to do this. :beer:

TAKEDOWN
11-26-2008, 02:34 PM
The Zack-Attack strikes again, cool Mod!

RF Overlord
11-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey Zack...your posts even stir things up over on CVN... ;)

Linky (http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1623572#Post1623572)

CRUZTAKER
11-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey Zack...your posts even stir things up over on CVN... ;)

Linky (http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1623572#Post1623572)

Yeah but they're a bunch of under powered crown vics.
Did someone really expect them to kudo an idea that less than 10% of have ever had issue with?
Why would anyone even offer that mod on that site?:sleepy:

cougar9150
11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey it seemed just like the way some of the threads here go. Seems like every time I turn around someone here is bashing what somebody else had said. If you don't like it don't comment on it.

Vortech347
11-26-2008, 04:08 PM
I've got a double flare kit. Looks like I'll be doing this when I change the fuel filter

DTRMiguel
11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
I know they are like **** killjoy :lol:

KillJoy
11-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I know they are like **** killjoy :lol:

Do huh???

:dunno:

KillJoy

n00bkiller944
11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Sweet mod man!

cougar9150
11-27-2008, 07:20 AM
What is the model number on the larger filter? Is it just a standard Motorcraft filter? Never mind found FG800A.

Drewstang
11-27-2008, 08:19 AM
I wonder if any of the fittings could be bought in AN style adapters and braided SS line could be used for extra security and bling. :D

Zack
11-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I wonder if any of the fittings could be bought in AN style adapters and braided SS line could be used for extra security and bling. :D

Thats what DR sold for $150+

This is to avoid paying that.

Spectragod
11-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah but they're a bunch of under powered crown vics.
Did someone really expect them to kudo an idea that less than 10% of have ever had issue with?

I think the median income level on that board is 7-8K a year. Which is all the reason they should do this mod, cheap and easy. There seem to be a pile of one way type individuals on that board. :poke:

I think it's a good mod, SC or not. :up:

NATEHAWK
11-27-2008, 02:19 PM
I think that is very small minded of you to even categorized somebody or a group or forum like that. That's the type of comments we don't need on here. Someone banish stupid.

Blk Mamba
11-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I think that is very small minded of you to even categorized somebody or a group or forum like that. That's the type of comments we don't need on here. Someone banish stupid.

I agree 100%.

Spectragod
11-27-2008, 04:42 PM
So what your saying is's OK for "that" group to put down someone's else's idea's, but we cannot catagorize them based on comments that they have made?? I must be missing something.

As an owner of a CV and MM, I belong to both boards, I can say that there is quite a few on that board that don't have a lot of $$$. Not because they don't want to, because they are young and for the most part... still in school, i.e. not in the workforce.

If you ever try and sell anything on that board, you will get the jist of things. I'll give you an example, I had 20 or so lock rod sets, for the rear doors on P71's, I offered them for free to members who needed them. Providing that they pay shipping. Know what some of the responses were... can you ship them for free... I don't have any money, as I am in school but really need them, what can you do, I shipped them, I paid the freight.

My generalization was based on my experiences, not yours, nor was it meant as an insult, sorry if I offended you.

NATEHAWK
11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Dude I have a 85 box vic which I had for 10 years. I could have afforded a MM at the time but I choose not too. I respect your comment but just know that some guys can have more they just choose not too. Car notes are not fun LOL. We cool man ! Everyone is intitled to there opinion.

Spectragod
11-27-2008, 05:13 PM
I have had my share of old cop cars, good cheap transportation. I understand where most on the board are coming from, as most of us were there at least once in our lives.

Cars notes blow, been there, done that.

gdmjoe
11-27-2008, 08:39 PM
CRUZTAKER - Yeah but they're a bunch of under powered crown vics. Did someone really expect them to kudo an idea that less than 10% of have ever had issue with?
Some of us "under powered crown vics" can still appreciate and recognize a good mod'.

Sharing the experience.

Drock96Marquis
11-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Nice work, Zack.

I think the median income level on that board is 7-8K a year. Which is all the reason they should do this mod, cheap and easy. There seem to be a pile of one way type individuals on that board. :poke::rolleyes:

NRAUD
11-28-2008, 05:56 PM
What is the model number on the larger filter? Is it just a standard Motorcraft filter? Never mind found FG800A.

This is probably useless info, and more for guys that are looking for the larger filter fit, but there is a truck/van filter (FG872), that is similar in dia. to the FG800A, but has the overall length close to the stock (FG986B) filter. (The FG800A is almost 1-1\2" shorter than stock). I like Zack's idea, especially being low-buck, so I'm going to see how the fit is with the FG872.

[Note:This longer (FG872) filter may not be good for Zack's better flow mod, since the longer length may create a harsher bend in the modded fuel line.]

CRUZTAKER
11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
So what your saying is's OK for "that" group to put down someone's else's idea's, but we cannot catagorize them based on comments that they have made?? I must be missing something.

My generalization was based on my experiences, not yours, nor was it meant as an insult, sorry if I offended you.

Atleast you understand where I am coming from.
I too owned crown vics and marquis prior to my Marauder.

However, I was always open minded to a good cheap fix.

Those kids over there were rude and misunderstanding to an obvious good idea that applied to all panther cars s/c'd or not.

Absolutely no disrespect to panther owners on this site, nor the co-habitators here was intended. There is no reason for anyone here to defend those smuck comments.

I stand by my original post. It should have never been copied to that site.
Screw 'em.

Glenn
11-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Talk about CV.Net - you should have seen their reaction to my post on Cost of Performance vs. Results!! Man are they sensitive.

Glenn :burnout:

Spectragod
11-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Talk about CV.Net - you should have seen their reaction to my post on Cost of Performance vs. Results!! Man are they sensitive.

Glenn :burnout:

Yes, I did see that! they would hear nothing of that "cheap" horsepower.

But, there are some sensitive ones that apparently come to this board, get ready to be chastized for your comments.

NATEHAWK
11-29-2008, 06:43 AM
No more chasitizing lol

Spectragod
11-29-2008, 06:51 AM
I'll be good. :D

Marauder386
11-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Yes, I did see that! they would hear nothing of that "cheap" horsepower.

But, there are some sensitive ones that apparently come to this board, get ready to be chastized for your comments.

I have to agree with all of the above after watching a man build up his CV to a whopping 265hp/269rwtq. This resulted after more than 90 days of the car being down and I dont know how much money...

:cool4:

Spectragod
11-29-2008, 01:44 PM
I have to agree with all of the above after watching a man build up his CV to a whopping 265hp/269rwtq. This resulted after more than 90 days of the car being down and I dont know how much money...

:cool4:

Which is exactlly why I bought a MM, after looking at modding the Sport, I would be throwing money away. It's much easier to something that performance parts are readily available for.

offroadkarter
11-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Atleast you understand where I am coming from.
I too owned crown vics and marquis prior to my Marauder.

However, I was always open minded to a good cheap fix.

Those kids over there were rude and misunderstanding to an obvious good idea that applied to all panther cars s/c'd or not.

Absolutely no disrespect to panther owners on this site, nor the co-habitators here was intended. There is no reason for anyone here to defend those smuck comments.

I stand by my original post. It should have never been copied to that site.
Screw 'em.

Its 2 different atmospheres really, while we are debating what intakes, tunes, or superchargers are right for us, they dont have to many of those things and figure out new ways to make the 2v's more powerful. Some of those cars are running 13's with a rebuilt motor, 14's with bolt on's.

I've got a forum friend who outran me with his 2v crown vic sport. Not all of em are as slow as you think ;)

BTW while were on topic, they think mm.net is filled with a bunch of old rich farts who brag about their 4v's :lol:

Drock96Marquis
11-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Generalizing an entire forum and its members by the actions of a few is childish.

The same could be applied to this forum and some of the posts within this thread. Would the administration and membership as a whole on this forum share your sentiments towards the rest of the panther community?

I have to agree with all of the above after watching a man build up his CV to a whopping 265hp/269rwtq. This resulted after more than 90 days of the car being down and I dont know how much money...Who? We have members nearing that with stock engines and bolt ons. Obviously he wasn't doing something right :lol:

justbob
11-29-2008, 04:34 PM
This is a great mod for all panthers. Nice work Zack. I enjoy cheap mods myself.

offroadkarter
11-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Generalizing an entire forum and its members by the actions of a few is childish.

The same could be applied to this forum and some of the posts within this thread. Would the administration and membership as a whole on this forum share your sentiments towards the rest of the panther community?

Who? We have members nearing that with stock engines and bolt ons. Obviously he wasn't doing something right :lol:

And even past that, Vinnys car for example, 257/301 with basically a MZT and a full exhaust

Dennis Reinhart
11-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a question?? why is cheaper better. I was under the impression the reason why Ford went to the high pressure neoprene fuel lines with pressed fit compression barb fittings was to make sure the fuel system on a fuel injected car was not susceptible to leakage from a hose clamp or a deteriorating rubber hose, it is a proven fact rubber fuel line with time deteriorates and cracks and will fail, this could be be a potential fire hazard that is why the big 3 got away from this, yes I am old school trained by the best Jerry W., and I can say I have never in ten years put hose clamps on fuel lines and replaced high pressure neoprene with rubber nor have I spliced a brake line with a compression fitting. I spent the extra money and replaced the entire brake line. :confused: or used braided steel with compression fittings on all Marauder fuel lines. But to each his own.;)

knine
11-30-2008, 12:22 AM
I told 'ya you should have wish him a Happy Birthday.

justbob
11-30-2008, 12:43 AM
This is why they sell high pressure rubber fuel line. Besides just how long would it take to rot? In commercial plumbing i use compression fittings daily on high pressure systems and never have problems. Issues like these that fail are usually because of idiots with a wrench. Cheap isn't always better, but also sometimes overlooked.

larryo340
11-30-2008, 06:27 AM
it is a proven fact rubber fuel line with time deteriorates and cracks and will fail, this could be be a potential fire hazard that is why the big 3 got away from this.

That might be true for someone that doesn't maintain or check over their car. Guy's that are building up Marauders or any cars for that fact are not going to let a line fall apart. I'm not a fan of clamps on fuel ines myself, but if the correct line is used to handle the pressure and the correct clamps are used, I don't see a problem doing it.

It would be more expensive, but what about swapping in real braided lines, AN fittings from the pump thru the filter, and then up to the rail ? That's what I did on my 340 Dart.

Zack
11-30-2008, 07:09 AM
I have a question?? why is cheaper better. I was under the impression the reason why Ford went to the high pressure neoprene fuel lines with pressed fit compression barb fittings was to make sure the fuel system on a fuel injected car was not susceptible to leakage from a hose clamp or a deteriorating rubber hose, it is a proven fact rubber fuel line with time deteriorates and cracks and will fail, this could be be a potential fire hazard that is why the big 3 got away from this, yes I am old school trained by the best Jerry W., and I can say I have never in ten years put hose clamps on fuel lines and replaced high pressure neoprene with rubber nor have I spliced a brake line with a compression fitting. I spent the extra money and replaced the entire brake line. :confused: or used braided steel with compression fittings on all Marauder fuel lines. But to each his own.;)

Oops, looks like someone is pissed he might have a bunch of high dollar fuel filter kits with no one that wants to buy them.

DEFYANT
11-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Oops, looks like someone is pissed he might have a bunch of high dollar fuel filter kits with no one that wants to buy them.

+1

:P :D

How long til...:censor:

Joe Walsh
11-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Its 2 different atmospheres really, while we are debating what intakes, tunes, or superchargers are right for us, they dont have too many of those things and figure out new ways to make the 2v's more powerful. Some of those cars are running 13's with a rebuilt motor, 14's with bolt on's.

I've got a forum friend who outran me with his 2v crown vic sport. Not all of em are as slow as you think ;)

BTW while were on topic, they think mm.net is filled with a bunch of old rich farts who brag about their 4v's :lol:

What's wrong with that!!!...:D

NATEHAWK
11-30-2008, 10:10 AM
What's wrong with that!!!...:D

Im not old and im not a fart yet but I like to brag about my MM :banana2:

justbob
11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Well i'm far from old in my book but thanks to the wife and kids i've been getting white hairs in my goatee in the last year and i definately brag about my car so does that count?

jvillerauder
12-17-2008, 06:09 PM
As a new owner of my 2004 mercury marauder but if it wasnt for the 2002 crown victoria lxsport i might not have bought one. one thing for sure is i didnt know much about either and if it wasnt for both sites i wouldve been f***ked.so all i got to say is "can't we all just get along!"

Bobmiddle
12-18-2008, 12:35 PM
This is still a great mod. I did it just a few days ago on my basicaly stock MM. I know this is mainly for a high HP car but my MM was giving me a little stutter on hard acceleration. So I was going to change plugs and fuel filter anyways. I did not want to f@## with the clips that brake so I upgraded to the F150 filter and and hose change at the same time. My stutter is gone so thanks for the info even though it could have been just the plugs.

musclemerc
01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Big shout out to Zack for posting this mod. I found it while doing a search for installing a fuel pump and just had to do it. I went with a 3" filter and flared the ends of it, I also straightened out the fuel line that has the bend in it.

Fuel issues on the Merc are solved. :burnout:

DOOM
01-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I did this mod when I had my blower ported. :banana2:

Embassy
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
It's on the list for this spring, once the weather rises above freezing.

Dennis Reinhart
03-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Long of the short, I only did this during my hunt for my fuel issue at WOT (leaning out at 4000 rpm's) Im actually kinda glad it happened, because I can bring you another option to reduce bends, restrictions or just ease your mind.

First off, let me show you a pic of the dreaded 90 degree bends before and after the fuel filter. Let it be known that the bends are not the issue, the factory fittings are. The pic will explain:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod007.jpg?t=1227661 821

Starting with a 5/16" fuel line is ok, but dropping down to .190 is silly with a blower. FAIL.
Where I labeled KINK, is where the plastic line had collapsed over the last 6 months. I attribute this happening due to the bigger fuel filter. I would have never spotted the problem had I not cut the rubber hose away. I suppose if the fuel filter had been moved to the rear a little more, this problem may not have occured. Who knows.

Now for the fix:
1st pic shows the factory line cut off and the fuel filter, which I flared the ends of ever so slightly: (so the hose clamp and line would not slip off; I used a standard plumbers flaring tool)

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod001.jpg?t=1227659 314

Notice the factory end on the left. I needed to shorten it to avoid kinking the rubber line to replace it. There is still a lip to prevent the hose/clamp from slipping off:

Pic of the backside. No modification needed on the factory line:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/Marauder-Z/FuelFilterMod003.jpg?t=1227661 319

Hooking everything up is as simple as obtaining fuel injection hose from the local FLAPS in 5/16" inside diameter. Then get some fuel injection hose clamps.

This mod should set you back 15-20 bucks on the high end. Most blower cars never have a fuel issue with factory parts, but for the money, and increased volume of the fuel line at these points, it only makes sense to just do it for piece of mind.
Glad to help :beer:

This was good write up. Zacks Fuel Filter Mod.
This mod should set you back 15-20 bucks on the high end

Drewstang
03-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Dennis Reinhart
03-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Are you really that scared Dennis? Why don't you go the more direct route and post that this mod will blow engines and your fuel filter mod will spout rainbows and sunshine.

No I am just doing as others have done show alternatives, Zack made this years ago you should know that many members here do not know that. I meant nothing else. I hope every one has great weekend.

ImpalaSlayer
03-25-2011, 12:39 PM
LOL!

Most immaculate mod

Joe Walsh
03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Big shout out to Zack for posting this mod. I found it while doing a search for installing a fuel pump and just had to do it. I went with a 3" filter and flared the ends of it, I also straightened out the fuel line that has the bend in it.
Fuel issues on the Merc are solved. :burnout:

That's exactly what I was about to ask...."Why not straighten out that upward bend in the metal fuel line??"

....Thanks!....:beer:

musclemerc
03-25-2011, 01:28 PM

We'll glad to see you post in the Forum for a change Dennis.
You are CORRECT! It will set you back 15.00~20.00 to do Zack's mod.

Thankfully, mine has twice the hardware, comes with a 3" bandclamp, and has a better quality filter element.
:banana2: And now just for you good Sir. :banana2:

THEY NOW WILL COME SHIPPED WITH AN UPGRADED SUBMERSIBLE FUEL LINE.

You read it right...

That's exactly what I was about to ask...."Why not straighten out that upward bend in the metal fuel line??"

....Thanks!....:beer:

I did exactly that when I modded mine Joe

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/0033.jpg

tbone
03-25-2011, 01:53 PM
How much musclemerc?

cougar9150
03-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Why would you want the submersible vs the J30R9 hose?

musclemerc
03-25-2011, 04:10 PM
How much musclemerc?

$42.00 plus paypal fees

Why would you want the submersible vs the J30R9 hose?

I'm glad you ask that question. The Goodyear hose with the blue liner is a very high quality FI hose, the liner is E-85 compliant and is more than adequate for this application..... But it's just that, a liner. The rest of the rubber in the hose is not E-85 compliant.
The submersible hose that now come's with the kit's is 100% E-85 compliant from the I.D. to the O.D. with a 100psi burst pressure. It's a very high quality GATE'S hose.

knine
03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
How much musclemerc?
:confused::confused::confused:

rauder88
03-25-2011, 05:50 PM
This looks like a great mod, just throwing in my .02 FWIW Mercedes-Benz had rubber lines with hose clamps on their fuel filters before they switched to in tank units. The clamps are more crimp type, but I see no problem using the hose and clamps like some do. The next time I have one in my shop I'll post up some pics of their set-up. Nice mod Musclemerc

ImpalaSlayer
03-25-2011, 05:56 PM
there nothing wrong with hose clamps. 60 psi is nothing on that small of a line

rauder88
03-25-2011, 06:02 PM
there nothing wrong with hose clamps. 60 psi is nothing on that small of a line

That's what I'm saying, I was just reading through some posts, just wanted to throw it out there that if rubber lines and hose clamps caused fuel leaks and fires then Mercedes wouldn't have used that set-up...

tbone
03-25-2011, 06:09 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Didn't see the other thread yet when I asked.....

ImpalaSlayer
03-25-2011, 06:10 PM
they dont and are used all the time. look at any old vehicle, its all clamps and tubing. the only reason we have those fittings from the factory is because its quicker to put them together when on the assy line

knine
03-25-2011, 06:14 PM
What??????
He posted as I was reading and posting. OOPS

tbone
03-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Changed my post.

RF Overlord
03-26-2011, 03:25 PM
If going straight is "better", why does the factory put those bends in the line in the first place? I would think the factory would take the simplest (cheapest) route that did the job.

babbage
03-26-2011, 03:46 PM
If going straight is "better", why does the factory put those bends in the line in the first place? I would think the factory would take the simplest (cheapest) route that did the job.

Follows frame = less chance of getting caught on something.

fastblackmerc
03-26-2011, 04:23 PM

Follows frame = less chance of getting caught on something.

They followed the frame for safety reasons. Like babbage said....less chance of damage when protected by the frame.

LANDY
03-26-2011, 07:01 PM
If going straight is "better", why does the factory put those bends in the line in the first place? I would think the factory would take the simplest (cheapest) route that did the job. Liability and goverment rules are also part of the reason.

Marauderjack
03-27-2011, 03:36 AM

I have never believed there is any advantage to the straight flow idea......max fuel flow is what....a couple ounces per second??:confused:

A bent soda straw could deliver that much fuel by gravity feed not to mention 40+ PSI from the fuel pump!!:shake:

massacre
03-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Zack's fuel filter mod?
More like Ford's fuel filter mod..lol
This "big fuel filter" thing still has me smiling.

I keep running into things that are "mods" for the MM, but are bone stock on a car that came out 10 years earlier. I'm going AN-8 from tank to rail and be done with it.

This is a great modification to do, leaning out at WOT is no joke.
The product is put together well, and with quality parts. If I was running factory-style fuel lines, I would buy this.

musclemerc
04-01-2011, 05:42 AM
We'll glad to see you post in the Forum for a change Dennis.
You are CORRECT! It will set you back 15.00~20.00 to do Zack's mod.

Thankfully, mine has twice the hardware, comes with a 3" bandclamp, and has a better quality filter element.
:banana2: And now just for you good Sir. :banana2:

THEY NOW WILL COME SHIPPED WITH AN UPGRADED SUBMERSIBLE FUEL LINE.

You read it right...

I did exactly that when I modded mine Joe

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy182/musclemerc/0033.jpg

I just wanted to follow up.
All my kits will ship with a Gate's 100% submersible fule line rather than the Good Year hose with the liner. The reason I choose to upgrade is because the Good Year hose is just that "a liner" if this hoes gets a knick on the inside liner the rest of the hose will swell and fail. The Gate's hose I included does not have a liner. The entire hose is E-85 compliant from I.D to O.D. Knick the inside of the Gate's hose and the hose stays together and will not break down. Both are 100psi rated

I had a member PM me with concern's and wanted the Good Year hose, I explained the Gates is better and why, the Gates also costs double the Good Year, it's 17.00 per foot. The extra cost of the better hose came out of my end.

I will gladly refund any payment's if the member's request's :beer:

Ambitious1
10-01-2018, 01:26 PM
I am looking to do the Fuel filter mod / upgrade to the larger fuel filter on my MM. It is referenced in this thread: https://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69878

Does anyone know what the new Ford Part number that superseded the original Ford Part number for the 3" bracket from Ford PN# F57Z-9A335-A**?

Thank you in advance.

fastblackmerc
10-01-2018, 02:15 PM
I am looking to do the Fuel filter mod / upgrade to the larger fuel filter on my MM. It is referenced in this thread: https://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69878

Does anyone know what the new Ford Part number that superseded the original Ford Part number for the 3" bracket from Ford PN# F57Z-9A335-A**?

Thank you in advance.

New bracket not needed. Just bend open the old one and use 1 or 2 large hose clamps to keep the filter in place.

NATEHAWK
10-01-2018, 02:20 PM
New bracket not needed. Just bend open the old one and use 1 or 2 large hose clamps to keep the filter in place.

What he said, don't even think about wasting the money. Bend and use house clamps.