PDA

View Full Version : Dependability of electric fuel pumps ??

Thomas C Potter
11-27-2008, 08:54 PM
How durable are the $70 1.5" diameter x 5" long electric fuel pumps?? I have one on my 68 LTD and it is acting funny after 3k miles. Are the $250 Holley units that much better?? Other useful thoughts??

BODYMAN
11-28-2008, 07:00 AM
How durable are the $70 1.5" diameter x 5" long electric fuel pumps?? I have one on my 68 LTD and it is acting funny after 3k miles. Are the $250 Holley units that much better?? Other useful thoughts??

I would go with the holley! always had great luck with them. what brand is this other pump?:beer:

Local Boy
11-29-2008, 02:58 AM
To answer your question...Brutha...

Hell Ya!

Your car (no matter what kind), is as strong as it's weakest link...

I've always spent the money...in an effort to raise the reliability aspect of my car...

Your call...

ALOHA

BTW: I've run Holley's...They worked great for me, as well...

BAD MERC
11-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Where's the pump? They are more efficient pushing the fuel than pulling it. Maybe it's burning up being overworked.

Thomas C Potter
12-30-2008, 10:48 AM
I think my problem is the instructions say to use a filter between the tank and pump. So I install a 'filter'. But this filter should be a coarse filter, 85-100 microns, as opposed to the typical one I used, 10-20 micron which over works the pump. Why the diccheeds at Airtex do not get more specific in their instructions!!!! Thanx to the tech at Summit Racing for enlightening me. Seems common sense with hind sight. I’ll still use the Holley.

stangracr
12-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I never had any luck with those small cheap pumps. I put one on a car for emergency and it lasted only a few months.

ed