PDA

View Full Version : HELP...Tire Rotation

yorks
09-17-2003, 11:41 AM
Good Afternoon All...
I wouldn't normally throw this out without doing a thorough search but...
I'm picking up my car tomorrow morning early after some minor warranty work and an oil, lube, filter, etc. I'm due for tire rotation (10,000 km/3,000 miles). I know we can't go front to back, but they're telling me that we can't go side to side, i.e. We can't rotate these ever.
Did anyone ever come up with a hard and fast ruling from FLM on this? Maybe some of our wrenches/parts dudes/dealers would know. I've got to go out of town tonight but I'll have access to a PC to check this thread or PM's.
HELP! Thanking you all in anticipation.

LincMercLover
09-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Side to side rotation is described and "recommended" in the manual, however, I don't think it's really all that effective unless you have some sort of front suspension problem. Which in that case, you should get that fixed, not just rotate the tires. In any case, yes, it is "recommended," but so is 5W20 Motorcraft Sythetic Blend Oil. Do we all use that? Well... I won't start another oil thread... :rolleyes:

Murader03
09-17-2003, 12:34 PM
What "LML" saud. Tell your dealer to read the manual and rotate your tires. If you want any longetivity with the treqd wear, rotate them. Don't know if yu have an "A or B" model, but if an "A" when you replace the tires, you can go to the same size tire on all four corners. I have done just that. If you have a "B" which has TC, your kinda screwed as the TC light will come on. There again, you can always turn the TC off.....

yorks
09-17-2003, 01:19 PM
I've got a Canuck 300A-Traction Control included.
PS... LML, or anybody with a manual close to them, can you give me the section/chapter/page so I can be specific with these guys. Once again Thanks.

67435animal
09-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Murader03
if an "A" when you replace the tires, you can go to the same size tire on all four corners. I have done just that.

What size tire did you go with? Rear size all around or front?

Bob

Hemlock
09-17-2003, 02:37 PM
MY NEW TIRES ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE (AS THE ORGINAL REARS) REALLY LIKE THE RIDE AND STOPS NOW !!!

Logan
09-17-2003, 02:48 PM
If you go to a different size rear tire, get your chip burned to accomodate for the tire change or your speedo will be off.

LincMercLover
09-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Pages 199 and 200 in the owners manual, page 10 in the service manual, and page 11 in the BF Goodrich manual.

RCSignals
09-17-2003, 05:01 PM
What BF Goodrich manual?

LincMercLover
09-17-2003, 05:04 PM
You didn't get a skinny little manual that's yellow, blue (I think) and black? Say's BF Goodrich on the front?

RCSignals
09-17-2003, 05:13 PM
the warranty guide, but it doesn't have that many pages

Murader03
09-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by 67435animal
What size tire did you go with? Rear size all around or front?

Bob

Bob, I went with the 235's all the way around. Gives about a 3% speedometer error (higher then actual). Will have my chip redone by Dennis as soon as he returns from Ennis. Also the smaller tire on the rear makes it slightly quicker than the larger tires. :banana2: :up:

yorks
09-18-2003, 03:17 AM
I'm going to have them do the rotation.....
a) On principle because they said they couldn't;
b) Because they just did an alignment.

Thank You Kindly, LML.

:bows:

capt512
09-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Murader03,
Have you noticed any difference in handling since you changed to all 235's?
Am considering doing the same as not being able to rotate tires is nuts to me.
Thanks,
Mike

yorks
09-18-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
Pages 199 and 200 in the owners manual, page 10 in the service manual, and page 11 in the BF Goodrich manual.
I don't know if the Canadian manual is different, but I just got the car back and checked it - page 209 in mine. Anyway, they did it side to side as recommended...looks OK.
I wish I could switch to all same size but I guess I'm stuck with it due to traction control.

Jeff
09-18-2003, 08:09 AM
My 300A: 14,000 mi., no rotation, 35 psi, no uneven wear, M5w20 oil

tomd
09-18-2003, 08:44 AM
But if an "A" when you replace the tires, you can go to the same size tire on all four corners. I have done just that. If you have a "B" which has TC, your kinda screwed as the TC light will come on. There again, you can always turn the TC off.....

Why would that happen? :help: :confused:

67435animal
09-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Bob, I went with the 235's all the way around. Gives about a 3% speedometer error (higher then actual). Will have my chip redone by Dennis as soon as he returns from Ennis. Also the smaller tire on the rear makes it slightly quicker than the larger tires. :banana2: :up:

Thanks for the information. My tires still have wear but I am planning ahead. I will be watching comments on 235s and 245s all around. Normally, I would prefer to install the slightly larger 245s all around but, that may not be the better choice in this case.

Bob

Mark McQuaide
09-18-2003, 08:58 AM
The TC measures wheel rotation speed. By putting on smaller rear tires, the rotation speed of the rears increases in relation to the fronts, making the system sense wheelspin. Seems as though this could be corrected through programming.

tomd
09-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Mark McQuaide
The TC measures wheel rotation speed. By putting on smaller rear tires, the rotation speed of the rears increases in relation to the fronts, making the system sense wheelspin. Seems as though this could be corrected through programming.

Thanks for the answer Mark

I hope so, I would hate to buy a 2004 with TC and not be able to switch tire size or put on snow tires. :mad2:

That is why this board is so great, you ask a question and get an answer. :D

MMManic
09-18-2003, 09:54 AM
What changed in the design of radial tires that allows changing rotation direction on worn tires? I remember the tires used to chew themselves and tear the steel cords up when you changed direction and you could only rotate same side tires. I've always ignored the manuals that still allowed cross-rotating for fear of damaging the tires. Did something change?

RF Overlord
09-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Yes. Radial tires are MUCH better manufactured than they were "back in the day"...that and the fact that they don't use steel anymore; it's usually an Aramid (Kevlar) fibre...the reason you couldn't change direction on steel-belted tires is that the steel would take a "set" after rotating a certain way for so long...the new fibres don't have this memory effect...

Murader03
09-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by capt512
Murader03,
Have you noticed any difference in handling since you changed to all 235's?
Am considering doing the same as not being able to rotate tires is nuts to me.
Thanks,
Mike

Haven't noticed any to date. Ride is just as good, and the smaller tire size also makes the car seem slightly quicker off the lione. Added with the 4'10's, well, it helps to get it rolling.