PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with good questions.

deputycrawford
12-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Hello all. I have been searching this site for some time now for lots of info on the Marauder. I have signed up and started with the search function. i learned quite a bit but have not seen definitive answer, if there is one, on which MM is the absolute best to start with a build. I see the 300A has only one crank sensor with the newer one having two. Is there a big difference when starting to build? The 300B has the "newer" trans with the 2700 rpm stall convertor. The 300B seems to be a problem with aftermarket rims with the traction control. I guess I'll post some questions below.

Should I look for a 300A without traction control?

A 300B for the higher stall and " newer" trans?

Can I put a Trilogy Twin Screw BIG blower on a stock engine, with it turned down, and use it for later build ups?

Ae Cobra cams a good swap? Will they do much?

Will I ever satisfy my addiction for going faster?

Can an orphan eat at a family restaurant?

I had a fox body GT mustang for a daily driver in the past. Although my job is top secret, I would love to have fun on the way to work most days. Right now I only have a 1992 GM for winter and daily driving, and a big block 1969 Dodge Charger for a few days of the year. I want to love driving again. Well, I still do at work..:cool:

I hope to hear from all of you soon. OH, and the strong characters on this site; please take it easy on me..:o

Thanks all

Jerry

SC Cheesehead
12-10-2008, 07:09 AM
First off :welcome: Not bad questions, but you may be splitting hairs. 300A or B shouldn't be a issue. If you do have a T/C car, NBD to punch it off if you're going to race. Also, IMO, lots of things to consider if you're going to go S/C'd, one of them is money. Stock motors will handle a fair amount of boost, but if you're going to go nuts on the mods, be prepared to spend some big bucks.

As a suggestion, you may want to pick up a stock MM, do some basic mods to it, enjoy it that way for a while and then consider the S/C route. 4:10 gears, a tune, CAI, U/D pulleys and a few other Stage One mods can give you a fun car to drive with minimal investment.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
12-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I am actually curious about the cobra cams as well

RoyLPita
12-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Welcome aboard. Enjoy the site.

I believe that the MM has the Cobra heads and cams.

12-10-2008, 08:49 AM
AFAIK the cams in the cobra, at least the manual trans cobra, were more aggressive

deputycrawford
12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am probably going for any black one I can get ahold of with around 50,000 miles or so. I heard the black ones are usually faster anyway. I will dream of mods to do while I wait to get one.

12-10-2008, 03:40 PM
A 2 poster is already making fun of the jelly bean cars? LOL that is too great. I think I waited a few hundo' posts before I started doing that.

SC Cheesehead
12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am probably going for any black one I can get ahold of with around 50,000 miles or so. I heard the black ones are usually faster anyway. I will dream of mods to do while I wait to get one.

Cute kid!:cool:

A 2 poster is already making fun of the jelly bean cars? LOL that is too great. I think I waited a few hundo' posts before I started doing that.

Hahaha. HoHoHo. It is to laugh.;)

jonroe
12-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I heard the black ones are usually faster anyway.

Hey! Wait a minute! Us non-blacks have enough inferiority complex here without the new guy piling on!

Welcome, even if you do prefer black.

Jon

deputycrawford
12-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I knew that would start something..lol I have somewhere around 1000 posts on dodgecharger.com so I guess I brought my "shyness" over here. I just like the black ones for some reason. Blue is cool too. Heck, they all look classy, and just make people take a second look. They're all ok in my book. I guess I'm just breaking the ice with that one...lol

I did want to ask one more loaded question.

What is the very first mod that can be done for the most performance gain?

Cold air kit?
4:10 gear and tune? Does the car NEED a tune with the 4:10s or can they stand alone until I get a tune? I mean does the trans need a tune with the gears?
Complete exhaust with long tubes, X-pipe and pipes? Would 2 1/2" be too big on stock engine?
Will a tune allow it to rev farther?

OK. I guess thats more than one question but I am planning to get a car and mod it the first day. I will spend thousands the first week if I have to. I think I have more fun building than driving....almost. I am still looking at posts all day to learn more. I am very excitied to own one soon. This is a cool site.

03calitejas
12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
In order, I've done the CAI, tune and the 4:10's now. Without a doubt, I think the most noticeable improvement was the tune. I got a used tuner with a 91 octane tune (Lidio was the tuner) after I bought the car in California and that was a huge change with solid shift points and much better lower end grunt.

I recently moved to Texas where 93 octane is premium gas and had a dyno tune put on it at HPP Racing. That was an even more radical imporvement. If you can swing a tuner and then locate a good modular tuner (a local mustang oriented speed shop would be my suggestion) you'll be amazed at the difference.

SC Cheesehead
12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
IMO, 4:10's with a tune will really wake the car up.

If you don't want to go with the gears right away, then a tune is #1 on the list.

deputycrawford
12-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I wil probably go with the 4.10's, long tubes, x-pipe, cats, and 2 1/2 in pipes as close to the same time as I can. I had a 92 CV I put a complete block build and FRPP ported heads on. I then put in a stud an girdle kit in the 8.8. I guess i'll do the girdle kit and solid spacer with the gear swap again. I think this car is going to get fun real fast. I will forward my paycheck direct deposit to the speed shop.

TAKEDOWN
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the site, and your new addiction. I originally wanted an 04/300B, but at the end purchased an 03/300A, with no complaints at all, I'm lovin' it!!! Bottom line I OWN A MERCURY MARAUDER!

hot-rauder
12-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I wil probably go with the 4.10's, long tubes, x-pipe, cats, and 2 1/2 in pipes as close to the same time as I can. I had a 92 CV I put a complete block build and FRPP ported heads on. I then put in a stud an girdle kit in the 8.8. I guess i'll do the girdle kit and solid spacer with the gear swap again. I think this car is going to get fun real fast. I will forward my paycheck direct deposit to the speed shop.

Listen to others cars first....

I had a very deep sounding MM, that was quiet at idle, almost silent and then when any gas was applied it would make a deep burble sound... at WOT it was amazing. i had flowmasters 40 sseries on it, well broken in.

me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4Pz7kgAKo

long tubes and x pipe will make this car sound very raspy. some like that sound, but just beware.

252life
12-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Can I put a Trilogy Twin Screw BIG blower on a stock engine, with it turned down, and use it for later build ups?

Will I ever satisfy my addiction for going faster?

The Trilogy Twin Screw kit is engineered and tuned to go on a stock engine.
But if you want to turn it up a notch the potential is there.

And it will also most likely cure your addiction.:D