PDA

View Full Version : Vancover guys and 2010 Winter Olympics.

Pops
12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
A bunch of us will be coming to Vancover for the winter Olympics. What can you guys tell us about Vancover and where to stay. We will be starting to make plans very soon. We went to Salt Lake City and had a great time. Tell us what we need to know. Looking forward to meeting you guys in 2010!

John :D

freakstatus
12-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Cool. Are you staying right downtown? How long are you in town for?

Pops
12-20-2008, 07:57 AM
We are getting ready to make plans. We are looking for advice on where to stay. We will be looking for a condo to rent as it should be more cost effective. Some of the group wants to go sking so Advice on that will help. Plus I want to get together with you local guys! All info or leads will help us. New Years Day will be the start of the planning. We will have 10 or more people coming to your city!

Thanks John

CBT
12-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Is there a penalty box for this sport?

Pops
12-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Dont think so! We were watching them in Kalamazoo, Michigan last night while we were in the bar at the hockey game! They spent a lot of time grooming the ice! It is an interesting sport but not very fast paced!

Aren Jay
12-20-2008, 08:19 AM
.............................. .

freakstatus
12-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Hey John, if you’re coming in for the Olympics, it will matter as to which events you are planning on attending as they will all be scattered within a 40 minute radius of Vancouver itself, with the exception of Whistler. Whistler is approximately a two hour drive from Vancouver and most of the skiing events will be held there.

Whistler is probably the best place to go skiing, but it will be a nightmare trying to get a place to stay up there as most places have been booked already. Some local ski hills closer to Vancouver are Mt. Seymour, Grouse Mountain, and my favourite, Cypress. They are all located 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver.

If you want want to be fairly centralized then I would recommend staying in Vancouver. Since you’re a hockey guy, most of the games will be held at GM place or BC Place which are both located in downtown Vancouver. The city will be setting up shuttles to the events and the locals aren’t too crazy about the traffic nightmare that will ensue, but oh well.

I’m not sure about condos but some upper scale hotels downtown include, the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, The Pan Pacific Hotel, the Fairmont Waterfront, and the Sheraton Wall Center (the wife and I checked all these out when we were looking for a place to stay on our wedding night).

If you don’t want to go totally top end, then check out the Hyatt and Westin Bayshore. After that it’s the Executive Inn, Holiday Inn, and Best Western (all have downtown locations).

If you’re not too busy with the Olympics, some things to check out in Vancouver include, Robson Street, Granville Island public market, English Bay, Gastown, Stanley Park, and Yaletown.

Most of us Marauderers live 40-60 minutes outside Vancouver with the exception of DeMinimus, who lives the swingin bachelor life downtown.

It would be cool to get together for sure. Maybe you can catch a Canucks game while your here. Hopefully Sundin will still be with us…..It might be hard to catch the Wings here though as that’s a pretty popular ticket when they come to town.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be glad to help or look into things for you here.

-Derek.

Pops
12-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks this gives us the first input. I will be back with you later on!

de minimus
12-20-2008, 10:14 PM
I'd agree with Derek re. the skiing at Whistler. I suspect it would be tres expensive to stay up there, though the skiing is some of the best. You may want to stay in the lower mainland and then day trip up to Whistler / Blackcomb for a day of skiing.
For accomodation it depends on what you're looking for.......Derek's mentioned some of the hoity toity hotels in the city. Condos or houses? take a look at this site; http://www.rent2010.net/ if you see anything you like I can reconoiter and then let you know.
Cheers
Tim

PS - hey Derek, how did your and Ian's dyno go?

freakstatus
12-21-2008, 06:41 PM
John...when Tim says "Lower Mainland", he means the Vancouver area.

Tim...dynos went ok, except that I don't think it was done right. I hit 272HP to the rears, Ian hit 393HP. He was choked that he didn't hit 400. He was also running lean. The guy recomended larger injectors.

Pops
12-23-2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks guys. We have enough to get this started. Whistler will be a day trip as per you guys! Merry Xmas!