PDA

View Full Version : New member ready to buy ... need some advice!

gcgarner
12-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm looking into buying a Marauder. I have found one that seems like a great deal, but it is some distance from me. It is an '03 with 75k and is completely stock except for K&N intake (which I would put on anyway). This car will be a daily driver.

I used to have a '95 Impala SS, and I loved it, but always thought the Marauders were just a notch above the Impalas (I've always been a GM guy so it kinda hurts to say that lol). I have lots of questions about things I have come across on this forum since I am completely new to Marauders. First of all, I have seen some abbreviations used that I need to know the meaning of. These include DBM, SB and 300A.

Is there a LOT of difference between the '03s and '04s?

Here are some pics of the car I am looking at. It looks like it has sat outside a good bit but the owner says it is completely scratch & dent free and also the interior is in excellent shape. I figure with a little detailing, she could really shine.

http://images.craigslist.org/1231461303n83k83l68cgce08bf502 cf515b5.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/1f21211g23kd3md3le8cg275c122c8 b97174b.jpg

I have other pics that he's emailed and he's right, the interior DOES look good. I checked CarFax and it was involved in a minor accident in May, 2006. No air-bag deployment or major body damage was reported.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and just for fun ... here's my baby:

http://www.tpsphotography.com/SigPic.jpg
1992 Trans Am Convertible
One of 663 T/A Convertibles produced in 1992.
350 Tuned Port Injection
700r4 Automatic w/ TransGo Shift Kit
Hooker Shorty Headers
Catco Hi-Flow Converter
Hooker 3" Catback
3.42 Posi

sd8683
12-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I'll clear up some of the abbreviations for ya.
First off colors, DTR= dark toreador red, SB= silver birch, DBP= dark blue pearl and of course the best= BLACK!!

Now for the 300A.
300A is the first group of 2003 Marauders that were built, theyhad a few differant options like the clock in the dash, map pockets on the front seats, full size spare, and tinted windshield, I'm sure there are a few things I'm missing.

Now 300B's
They were the second wave of cars made for 03, they have the clock in the radio, a donut for a spare, traction control, and they came in BLACK, SB and DBP. And a few other things I'm most likely forgetting.

Hope this helps?

Welcome to the site!!

Sean

kariamack
12-24-2008, 10:33 PM
this car is in Jacksonville

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-24-2008, 11:49 PM
The car looks good, just a bit dirty. But how could the car have been involved in a minor accident, and the guy says its never had a scratch or dent? :dunno:

hot-rauder
12-25-2008, 12:39 AM
WELCOME!

Before buying ANY Marauder I would Pm RoyLPita (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=616).
He can give you an OASIS report on the vehicle if you give him the Vin number. YOU MAY REGRET NOT DOING SO!

Bluerauder
12-25-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm looking into buying a Marauder. I have found one that seems like a great deal, but it is some distance from me. It is an '03 with 75k and is completely stock except for K&N intake (which I would put on anyway). This car will be a daily driver.

I used to have a '95 Impala SS, and I loved it, but always thought the Marauders were just a notch above the Impalas (I've always been a GM guy so it kinda hurts to say that lol). I have lots of questions about things I have come across on this forum since I am completely new to Marauders. First of all, ........
Welcome to the MM.Net :welcome1: What took you so long to get here? ;) This IS the place to get answers to all of your Marauder questions.

O's Fan Rich
12-25-2008, 07:41 AM
I f you are looking for a car... get ahold of Magindat, here on the forum and BUY HIS CAR!!!!

O's Fan Rich
12-25-2008, 07:43 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49711

Seneca
12-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Diffrence between an 2003 an 2004.. They worked all the bugs out of the 04's!!!!!!!:lol:Had to say it Had bad luck with my early model 300A..

Ms. Denmark
12-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Can't add much as the guys have given you the best advice. For sure get in touch with RoyLPita with the VIN. And yeah, there's Magindat's car. Check it out!

gcgarner
12-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I checked out Magindat's car and I would buy it in a heartbeat if it weren't for the custom paint. I'm not into that.

Kariamack, yes the car is in Jacksonville.

ChiTownMaraud3r, he never said it had never had a scratch or ding, he just said it doesn't have any now.

Thanks to all for your help! I've got 6 months before I actually need a car (when we turn in my wife's leased car), so I've got plenty of time to make the right decision.

I really wish Magindat's car didn't have that paint. I'd be driving to Florida.

Aren Jay
12-25-2008, 04:34 PM
.............................. .

gcgarner
12-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Eh ... that one is just not my thing. Don't get me wrong ... it's very nice and the mods to it are KILLER, but I would rather have a stocker or slightly modded car that I could do my own thing to. I love taking a good car and making it better. Plus, I don't think that car would make a very good DD for me.

I've asked RoyLPita to run the VIN on the Jacksonville car.

Like I said, I don't have to have one today. I'm just ready for one!! :burnout:

Black_Noise
12-25-2008, 08:28 PM
check out the for sale section of this site, you could fine a near mint, or supercharged MM for a steal.

good luck

gcgarner
12-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep my eyes on it.

O's Fan Rich
12-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Tell you what.... I'd look way past Magindat's paint job and at the car you'd get for the cash......

Marauderman
12-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep my eyes on it.

Have I missed where your located in NC??????????

Ralph Sr.
12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
gcgarner nice 92 trans am conv., i have never seen one , sharp and rare !!!!!! rkvette-ralph sr.

gcgarner
12-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Have I missed where your located in NC??????????I'm in Morganton. About an hour NW of Charlotte. 30 min. W of Hickory and 1 hr. E of Asheville. I just noticed under your name that there is a Marauder club in the Carolinas. Sweet. I can't wait to get one ... Unfortunately I spent the day at Harrah's today in Cherokee and it set me back a little lol.

gcgarner nice 92 trans am conv., i have never seen one , sharp and rare !!!!!! rkvette-ralph sr.Thanks! It is fairly rare, but you still see a few of them around. There were 1,213 total produced between 1991-1992. They all came with a 305 TPI, but my poor 305 decided to spin a rod bearing, so I went all out, spent wayyyyy too much money, and basically replaced the entire drivetrain, exhuast, and decided to do the interior while I was at it.

Good to get compliments on a GM here on the Merc board! Here's a peek under the hood:

http://www.tpsphotography.com/TA08.jpg

gcgarner
12-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Alright, I'm sort of coming around on Magindat's car. It almost seems like too good of a deal to pass up. But I was wondering, since so many of you know the car so well, if it would make a good DD since that's what I'm looking for. It has approx. 85k as well ... I drive approx. 12k a year and wonder how much life an 85k motor with this much juice would give me. Anybody that knows the car well please fill me in. Thanks!

jgc61sr2002
12-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Welcome aboard enjoy the site.:D

rayjay
12-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Alright, I'm sort of coming around on Magindat's car. It almost seems like too good of a deal to pass up. But I was wondering, since so many of you know the car so well, if it would make a good DD since that's what I'm looking for. It has approx. 85k as well ... I drive approx. 12k a year and wonder how much life an 85k motor with this much juice would give me. Anybody that knows the car well please fill me in. Thanks!

Like any other Panther platform it should be good for 200,000 miles plus if properly cared for. Now if you beat the snot outta it daily it ain't gonna last...

hot-rauder
12-27-2008, 10:58 AM

I do beleive he has only 42k on the drivetrain though......

Oh and what a nice looking engine ya got there! My 88 IROC with the 305 wasnt nearly so shiny lol

gcgarner
12-27-2008, 01:31 PM
I talked to Rich today. Super-nice guy. He didn't mention anything about the mileage on the drivetrain, just mentioned that it had been wrecked at 17k. It is also in the shop now after a hit-n-run :(. We might be able to work something out. We'll see.

Thanks again for the compliments on the T/A. That shininess didn't come easy. Hours upon hours of sanding, wet-sanding and polishing the plenum, runners, AC compressor and AC lines. Luckily they sell valve covers and alternators already polished. :)

gcgarner
12-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry ... double post

Marauderman
12-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I talked to Rich today. Super-nice guy. He didn't mention anything about the mileage on the drivetrain, just mentioned that it had been wrecked at 17k. It is also in the shop now after a hit-n-run :(. We might be able to work something out. We'll see.

Thanks again for the compliments on the T/A. That shininess didn't come easy. Hours upon hours of sanding, wet-sanding and polishing the plenum, runners, AC compressor and AC lines. Luckily they sell valve covers and alternators already polished. :)

I Have met with , several times , Rich and his daughter...both are what we all would want as friends and neighbors...honest fun folks...now his MM is great.....paint is not an issue..anyone can fix that if it is an issue to you-----but it is a special car.......trust me--and I have been here a while---mileage is not an issue and Rich will always be there if there is a problem--which it won't be-- it can diff be a DD --and fun when u need it--like mine....so lets hear the big news that you now own it--ok--!!!

03Farmmarauder
12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Owning 94-96 Impala SS you will really like the Marauder. I love my Impalas, that could be the reason i still have them but the Marauders are better cars. Good luck in finding the one for you!!!

gcgarner
12-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Good info Marauderman ... that will definitely have an influence in my decision. Thanks.

SC Cheesehead
12-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Good info Marauderman ... that will definitely have an influence in my decision. Thanks.
+1 on everything Marauderman said about magindat's car. It is in excellent mechanical condition, and as has been said, repainting shouldn't be an issue.

If I was in the market for a Marauder, Rich's would DEFINITELY be at the top of my list.

Also, :welcome:

We're thinking about another Carolina Marauder's get-together some time in January, keep an eye on the board.

gcgarner
12-27-2008, 08:16 PM
We're thinking about another Carolina Marauder's get-together some time in January, keep an eye on the board.

Great. I would love to get out there and see some nice cars, but more importantly meet some good people.

gcgarner
12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Double post
------------

gcgarner
12-29-2008, 08:35 AM
----------