PDA

View Full Version : 2wd Aviator 5 speed

Aren Jay
12-30-2008, 08:18 AM

O's Fan Rich
12-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Yes! Do it!
It'll slide right in..... you'll hardly have to do any work to it!

Joe Walsh
12-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Rich, I bet that you HAVE the specs & notes on how to do this swap...RIGHT?

BTW: Not a bad idea for a 5 speed Marauder....don't know if it will fit.

FordNut
12-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Anything will fit with enough time, $$, and a BFH. Do a good writeup while you're at it. BTW, the 5 speed is weaker than the 4R70W/4R75W.

O's Fan Rich
12-30-2008, 09:34 AM
Rich, I bet that you HAVE the specs & notes on how to do this swap...RIGHT?

BTW: Not a bad idea for a 5 speed Marauder....don't know if it will fit.

Heck, Joe... I do these all the time, in my sleep even....

RR|Suki
12-30-2008, 09:37 AM
BTW, the 5 speed is weaker than the 4R70W/4R75W.

word :burnout:

SC Cheesehead
12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Anything will fit with enough time, $$, and a BFH. Do a good writeup while you're at it. BTW, the 5 speed is weaker than the 4R70W/4R75W.

No, Brian, THIS is THE set-up if you want to build a Marauder/Aviator hybrid.

I say go for it Aren, we're all pulling for you!:rolleyes:

nomad
12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Wouldn't that be "le cing" speed tranny? Eh?

wannabe1
12-30-2008, 11:25 AM
well seriously though does anyone have specs on this tranny bolt pattern on the tc flex plate crank tail shaft size overall length of the unit so on and so forth I've been thing of this for sometime well to be honest i've been wondering of the 6r in the newer explorers and navigators it would be an awesome street machine or tack attacker given the ablity to make all the gear shorter great acceleration all the way through the trapspeed or maybe i'm delusional i tend to get that way when thinking of vehicular mayhem :burnout:

O's Fan Rich
12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
well seriously though does anyone have specs on this tranny bolt pattern on the tc flex plate crank tail shaft size overall length of the unit so on and so forth I've been thing of this for sometime well to be honest i've been wondering of the 6r in the newer explorers and navigators it would be an awesome street machine or tack attacker given the ablity to make all the gear shorter great acceleration all the way through the trapspeed or maybe i'm delusional i tend to get that way when thinking of vehicular mayhem :burnout:

Wow..... Holy run on sentence, Batman!

Dennis Reinhart has a thread on a manual tranny swap in a Marauder... check his forum.

BlownMerc
12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
It's not a manual. He's talking about the 5R55E/W/S that is also behind the 05+ Mustang a/t. Biggest problem would be PCM. You would have to use an Aviator PCM/harness since it has extra speed sensors and shift solenoids unless you went stand-alone trans management. The plugs on the Aviator PCM are the PTEC variety with three separate, so harness would be a must. Can be done, getting the tune right would be another challenge, but shouldn't be impossible since the Mustangs are doing fine these days. I have a friend with a TVS blown 3V '06 GT with the stock 5R55 and a TCI converter running 10.66 @129, so they will take the abuse.

O's Fan Rich
12-30-2008, 01:06 PM
It's not a manual. He's talking about the 5R55E/W/S that is also behind the 05+ Mustang a/t. Biggest problem would be PCM. You would have to use an Aviator PCM/harness since it has extra speed sensors and shift solenoids unless you went stand-alone trans management. The plugs on the Aviator PCM are the PTEC variety with three separate, so harness would be a must. Can be done, getting the tune right would be another challenge, but shouldn't be impossible since the Mustangs are doing fine these days. I have a friend with a TVS blown 3V '06 GT with the stock 5R55 and a TCI converter running 10.66 @129, so they will take the abuse.

Thank you for the clarification. I got into the post and got tired... assumed it was a manual swap question/statement.

mrjones
12-30-2008, 05:01 PM
If you're going to do this, wouldn't it be better to use the 6speed from the Explorer?

wchain
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
The 4R70/4R75 is a MUCH better transmission than the 5R55 Series transmission.

If you go to explorerforum.com and read up about all the issues the 5R55 has, you'll run. Intermediate bands breaking, solenoids failing, but you have to replace the whole pack instead of just the failed solenoid.

In fact, if you go to some Mustang Boards, there are people swapping from 5R55's to 4R70 transmissions.

Fords decoding for the Transmissions show the rating, i.e. 4R70= 700 ft/lbs, 55=550 ft/lbs.

This has also been discussed here.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16813&page=2

justbob
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I've brought this subject up twice Aren, it is more than likely doable but will take time and money. With the Aviator pcm and harness you atleast have a good starting place. I'm quite positive the trany will fit, and all will bolt up. Things i haven't looked into yet have been driveshaft fitment, mustang shifter with our handle, etc. It will be a trial and error swap.

I am quite possibly going this route in the near future with the tci streetfighter. It runs 100 bucks more than ours and is good for 650 crank horse, the same they quoted me about the 4r70. I have no intention of ever surpassing 500 rwhp. This would be very fun on the street or track even with my stock gears.

The final drive ratio is also same as ours so you will not see an increase or a drop in MPG, perhaps a small increase because of better efficiency. I would rather start with a junk trans and get all the fitment issues worked out completly before making the investment however.

2004p71
01-11-2009, 01:57 PM
if you are going manual let me know i have quite lots of info on that

Drewstang
01-12-2009, 08:54 AM
From the research I've been doing on the 5R55S/W/E the overdrive gear is not much higher or lower than the 4R70. Basically, its a close ratio 5 speed with little added benefit over a 4R70.

The reason for my research is I plan to do a V8 swap into my 02 Explorer later this year and I wanted to see if the trans that is currently in there would be a direct swap. From what I can tell, the only thing I need to change is the trans case.

justbob
01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Overdrive is identical. Its the first gear i'm wanting.

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Ford/Ford_Transmissions_Main.htm