PDA

View Full Version : REAR brake kit post install question

Todd TCE
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
All;

I have a customer who is questioning the fit of the over sized C-clips on the rear kit to lower the axle float. He tells me his stock clip is .150 thick but the axle will not allow the fit of a wider (three option supplied) clip in the kit.

From what I see the only two options are;
1. Remove the axle and have the groove made wider.
2. Remove the axle and tig weld some build up on the end to the dif cross pin.

Anyone else encounter this and make note of how they dealt with it?? Oddly, with about 20-25 of these in service now this is the first I have heard of this being an issue. (??)

Any input for a fellow owner is much appreciated!

burt ragio
01-09-2009, 03:03 PM
I think some members who installed the willwood brake on the rear had to do something with the c clips since the brake callipers are non float & the axle could not have any play. Maybe one of them will chime in.

Todd TCE
01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes. I know that, I produce the kit.

What I don't understand is why this customers shop is telling me they cannot do what I believe everyone else has done without problems. Or if there were problems why nobody tole me about them until now.

Raudermaster
01-09-2009, 06:19 PM
jdando has F/R's. He is quite knowledgeable and perhaps will chime in.

DEW34
01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
stock axles or after market maybe thats where the differnce lies

fastblackmerc
01-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Are there using CV axles? Some don't fit as they are "a hair" to short.

blazen71
01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
The c-clips could be surface ground until they fit.

Tom Doan
01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
I can't say because I changed the axles at the time I added the Wilwoods. Thanks Todd I love the rear brake kit despite all the naysayers, I can really feel the difference with 4 wheel Wilwoods, I had them on my Road Runner front and rear and loved them and I wanted the same set up for the MM. Wilwood has the most parts to take your brakes to NASCAR level if you want. Took about 6 weeks to get all the air bubbles out of 24 caliper pistons but after that the eye balls will pop out of your head.

Todd TCE
01-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Nice cat.

The clips can't be surface ground in this case. The groove is only so wide. Surfacing the clip (while not advised due to the heat treat work anyhow) will only go to fit the clip to the groove- we already have that.

I'm not sure what's going on. My only suggestion was to either cut the axle groove wider for a wider clip (going only outboard on the increase) or tig weld some build up on the end so it does not move around to the diff cross pin as much.

Local Boy
01-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I like the set-up (Wilwood)...+ The customer service is awesome...

I plan on adding it... when I up-grade the rear end...

ALOHA