PDA

View Full Version : Gas pedal doesn't fit

Pat
01-11-2009, 02:36 PM
The SRP gas pedal cover does not conform to the car's pedal profile and is impossible to mount.

Both brake pedal covers fit perfectly.

What to do? Can the SRP gas pedal be reformed without breaking?

The stock pedal is a one piece plastic affair and thus cannot be bent or twisted or reformed.

Here is a rendering of the two profiles.

fastblackmerc
01-11-2009, 02:42 PM
If I remember correctly the pedal "cover" is just that a cover that you screw into the existing rubber pedal. The cover will bend. I'll double check mine but that's what I remember.

pedalpusher
01-11-2009, 03:26 PM
The SRP gas pedal cover does not conform to the car's pedal profile and is impossible to mount.

Both brake pedal covers fit perfectly.

What to do? Can the SRP gas pedal be reformed without breaking?

The stock pedal is a one piece plastic affair and thus cannot be bent or twisted or reformed.

Here is a rendering of the two profiles.

Sorry for the issue.

Does the length of our pedal look to be correct, just not the curvature?

You can try to bend yours a little more. If you have the Satin or Machined finish this should be no problem. If you are not comfortable with doing this I will send you another one. PM me if you need me to send another one.

I apologize for the gas not fitting correctly. I am going to check on Monday your drawing against our template to see what we have and make some changes if necessary.

We have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee (more info on our site) so I am going to make sure you are happy.

Brian

justbob
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Wow! response in an hour! I wish more were like you Brian.

Anyways that rendering has some serious drafting skills Pat!:D

gonzo50
01-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I have the machined set from way back, you do have to some how try to curve it more, can't remember how.:help:

Maybe using a big coffee can to conform to.:dunno:

pedalpusher
01-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I have a feeling most people have had to tweak theirs. We've been using the same template to curve the pedals since we started making these back in 04. We did not have a car at the shop to fit them to, the templates for the Marauder were supplied by a customer. This is how we usually make new pedal sets since we don't always have access to cars. We then made that first set and sent them to that customer who then should have provided feedback. This usually works well. It doesn't look like it worked too good for the gas curve this time though.

Pat's drawing of the curve above is perfect, exactly what we need. I will change our templates so that future sets will have this curve.

This is the first I've heard that we weren't curving them correctly, so I want to apologize to everyone. And Pat, try tweaking it by putting the pedal on something and then putting a little weight on it. We are never going to get the curve 100% perfect, it just needs to be close so that the screws will grab. If you aren't satisfied, let me know and I'll get you another pedal.

Brian

Blackened300a
01-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Any chance of having the new design ready before sending out anymore orders?

pedalpusher
01-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Any chance of having the new design ready before sending out anymore orders?

All future orders will be the revised gas pedal.

SC Cheesehead
01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Tell you what, I haven't done any business with Brian yet, but he's impressed the heck out of me already with his responsiveness and proactive attitude.

Way to go, pedalpusher!!:up:

NATEHAWK
01-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I just curved mine so when my hand. No biggy just bend it a tad and you will be good to go man had mine for 3 years now

Blackened300a
01-11-2009, 05:10 PM
tell you what, i haven't done any business with brian yet, but he's impressed the heck out of me already with his responsiveness and proactive attitude.

^^^^+1^^^^

fastblackmerc
01-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Sorry for the issue.

Does the length of our pedal look to be correct, just not the curvature?

You can try to bend yours a little more. If you have the Satin or Machined finish this should be no problem. If you are not comfortable with doing this I will send you another one. PM me if you need me to send another one.

I apologize for the gas not fitting correctly. I am going to check on Monday your drawing against our template to see what we have and make some changes if necessary.

We have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee (more info on our site) so I am going to make sure you are happy.

Brian

Brian, I see your in NC - Charlotte area? Next time I'm down that way I can bring my MM so you can check the fit if needed.

gmtech
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Tell you what, I haven't done any business with Brian yet, but he's impressed the heck out of me already with his responsiveness and proactive attitude.

+2 !!:bows:...good service is hard to find

DTRMiguel
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I have a feeling most people have had to tweak theirs. We've been using the same template to curve the pedals since we started making these back in 04. We did not have a car at the shop to fit them to, the templates for the Marauder were supplied by a customer. This is how we usually make new pedal sets since we don't always have access to cars. We then made that first set and sent them to that customer who then should have provided feedback. This usually works well. It doesn't look like it worked too good for the gas curve this time though.

Pat's drawing of the curve above is perfect, exactly what we need. I will change our templates so that future sets will have this curve.

This is the first I've heard that we weren't curving them correctly, so I want to apologize to everyone. And Pat, try tweaking it by putting the pedal on something and then putting a little weight on it. We are never going to get the curve 100% perfect, it just needs to be close so that the screws will grab. If you aren't satisfied, let me know and I'll get you another pedal.

Brian

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry: I cant stop crying but they are tears of joy:bigcry::bigcry:

Pat
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
For Brian, Pedalpusher;

The arc of the stock pedal seems to be based on the circumference of a 7" diameter circle. The length of the SRP pedal seems correct.

I have reformed the pedal using a 7" steel pipe as a backing and the pedal fits good.

My problem is solved, I do not need a replacement piece.

Regards,

Joe Walsh
01-12-2009, 05:13 AM
I just curved mine so when my hand. No biggy just bend it a tad and you will be good to go man had mine for 3 years now

^^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^^

I had to 'recurve' my gas pedal when I bought and installed the set some 3+ years ago.
IIRC: I used the curved back section of my bench vise.
It worked out fine and they look great!

Haggis
01-12-2009, 05:30 AM
I have the machined set from way back, you do have to some how try to curve it more, can't remember how.:help:

Maybe using a big coffee can to conform to.:dunno:

DING...DING...DING!!!

We have a winner!

I received the orignal (protoype) set from CJ way back before these where made avaible to the general public and that is what I had used.

We did not have a car at the shop to fit them to, the templates for the Marauder were supplied by a customer. This is how we usually make new pedal sets since we don't always have access to cars. We then made that first set and sent them to that customer who then should have provided feedback.

Brian

This was all provided to CJ at that time.^^^

scruff
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
i,m sure that if you were to apply some heat with a torch very carefully it would,nt be hard to shape that peddle for a perfect fit

Joe Walsh
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
i,m sure that if you were to apply some heat with a torch very carefully it would,nt be hard to shape that peddle for a perfect fit

You really don't need to heat it, as it is aluminum.
It can be bent to match the tiny OEM gas pedal without a lot of effort.

I'd be a little concerned that too much heat might discolor the beautiful finish.

fastblackmerc
01-12-2009, 08:09 PM

DO NOT USE HEAT!!!!!

The covers can be bent using your hands and a sutible form.

Blackened300a
01-12-2009, 08:18 PM
I had no idea until tonight that our gas and parking brake pedals were plastic. I always thought it was metal with a rubber boot over it.

Im going to have a busy weekend of installs soon, The pedal's, the heel guard and my cam covers. :banana2:

I plan to do a big install write up with pics on both.

scruff
01-12-2009, 08:19 PM
well i have no idea how thick the aluminum peddel is as i am still waiting for my combo to arrive in the mail but i know from trying to bend aluminum flat bar in the past it willo snap on you if you try to bend it past its limits thats where subtle heat works well to change the shape and you can do this without distorting the colour but but if you guys say it bends easily in your hand whats going to happen to it when i mash my foot to the floor in a drag race

Blackened300a
01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
if you guys say it bends easily in your hand whats going to happen to it when i mash my foot to the floor in a drag race

It should align with the stock pedal so it will just act as a cover.

Haggis
01-13-2009, 04:54 AM
...whats going to happen to it when i mash my foot to the floor in a drag race?

Your going to spin the back tires.

pedalpusher
01-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Bending these is no problem. You don't need heat. They are not going to break. We bend them here in the shop to get the curve in them initially. Once installed they will be up against your factory pedal. Almost fifteen years doing this and I've never once heard of one of our pedals breaking.

Brian

Marauderman
01-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Way before you showed up offering these , I made some for myself...here are some pics---works great---

Krytin
01-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I had no idea until tonight that our gas and parking brake pedals were plastic. I always thought it was metal with a rubber boot over it.

Im going to have a busy weekend of installs soon, The pedal's, the heel guard and my cam covers. :banana2:

I plan to do a big install write up with pics on both.

I STILL hate you! lol
Having a kid in college has at least one downside.
Maybe I'll have some bling for Carlisle.

Pat
01-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Installation tip: The gas pedal has a significant arc so when you drill into the stock plastic pedal be sure you drill perpendicular to the pedal at that particular point.

If you don't then the countersunk screws won't seat all the way and you will be tightening for naught. same for E-brake.

The regular brake calls for the holes to go all the way through the metal and the new pedal cover is fastened with Allen screws and self locking nuts. Since the brake pedal is steel be sure you have a sharp, proper hardness, bit or you will be spinning your wheels, so to speak.

Pat
01-14-2009, 04:12 AM
Pedal's installed, they look great. When you open the door your eye goes right to them. Thanks SRP for the product.

Regards,

Haggis
01-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Let us all not forget who's great idea it was for the pedals and door sills for the Marauder in the first place; Ladyhawke.

:rock: :woohoo: :high5: :2thumbs: :trophy1: :nworthy: :thanks: :cheer: :bows: :banana2:

Pat
01-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Well, give her a big buss on the cheek from her appreciative fellow Marauder owners.

Regards,

Hotrauder
01-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Way before you showed up offering these , I made some for myself...here are some pics---works great---
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 259&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231866952 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 259&d=1231866952) http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 260&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231866992 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 260&d=1231866992) http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 261&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231867035 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 261&d=1231867035) http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 262&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231867068 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 262&d=1231867068) http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 263&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231867122 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 263&d=1231867122)

Tom, my friend....were you drunk when you made these garden implements? :D Just wondering. the RedLine beauty is exactly that but your pedals are not up to your standards. I thought that Jim was taking better care of you than that. :rofl: I am upgrading my sills and pedal covers from CJ, no reason cept I like the new ones better and I drink, too. If you would like I know how you can FIX the RedLine Beauty at a bargain.:beer: Dennis...let me know, bud.

O's Fan Rich
01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Tom, my friend....were you drunk when you made these garden implements? :D Just wondering. the RedLine beauty is exactly that but your pedals are not up to your standards. I thought that Jim was taking better care of you than that. :rofl: I am upgrading my sills to custom and my pedal covers, no reason cept I like the new ones better and I drink, too. If you would like I know how you can FIX the RedLine Beauty at a bargain.:beer: Dennis

Upgrades?
You know where the old stuff can go!
I'll PM you the address.....

SC Cheesehead
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 259&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231866952 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 259&d=1231866952) http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 260&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231866992 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 260&d=1231866992) http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 261&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1231867035 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14 261&d=1231867035)

:laugh:

Tom, my friend....were you drunk when you made these garden implements? :D Just wondering. the RedLine beauty is exactly that but your pedals are not up to your standards. I thought that Jim was taking better care of you than that. :rofl: I am upgrading my sills to custom and my pedal covers, no reason cept I like the new ones better and I drink, too. If you would like I know how you can FIX the RedLine Beauty at a bargain.:beer: Dennis

:woohoo: Dennis takes a shot off the port bow, I love it! :lol:

Hotrauder
01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Upgrades?
You know where the old stuff can go!
I'll PM you the address.....

Rich, you can see what poor old Tom is dealing with, a world class Marauder with a homeless person interior. I don't think that Tom believes that the economy is going to get so bad that he will have to live in the RedLine Beauty but just in case... I need to spruce it up. Can't be living in the garden implement shed, you know.....

So....

Tom first...for the pedals...
Michele's totally luckiest bastage (probably the most deserving, also) on the planet, second.
ViseVersa on the sills..you first, Tom second. Let me know guys.

SC Cheesehead
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Rich, you can see what poor old Tom is dealing with, a world class Marauder with a homeless person interior. I don't think that Tom believes that the economy is goling to get so bad that he will have to live in the RedLine Beauty but just in case... I need to spruce it up. Can't be living in the garden implement shed, you know.....

So....

Michele's totally luckiest bastage (probably the most deserving, also) on the planet, second.

Stop it, you're gonna make me pee my pants!! :rofl:

O's Fan Rich
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Rich, you can see what poor old Tom is dealing with, a world class Marauder with a homeless person interior. I don't think that Tom believes that the economy is goling to get so bad that he will have to live in the RedLine Beauty but just in case... I need to spruce it up. Can't be living in the garden implement shed, you know.....

So....

Take care of Tom..... PLEASE!!! Consider it my "Community Service" ... maybe my taxes won't go up!

If he don't want the sills we'll talk then.