PDA

View Full Version : 4R70W Caution!

NTHE10s
01-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Check filter supports in (ART CARR) deep pan before RUNNING!

well long story short. i had my Trans built to handle anything i put to it. i couldn't test it to its fullest because of the new motor. so i put some miles on the setup with a good street tune. everything was runing great....

i went to make a nice pass. well anything under 40mph it's spin city. so i roll into it pertty hard. 15lbs and a ear to ear grin I come to a stop. everything seemed ok. go to take off and after 3rd gear it would reave out like it was out of gear.

so i come home check to fuild. smiled a little burnt. next day i drain the fuild. it had some peaces of metal and cluch. i then pulled the (deep pan) and notice the filter was in the pan??? SO i had the trans rebuilt because most of the cluches were burnt. and the over drive was cooked. opps!

when putting the pan back on i notice the supports for the filter were 3/8inch lower then they should be. so i extended the supports and it time to test the FULL potential of the 4R70W...

Rich

scruff
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
hard lesson to learn $$$

Marauderjack
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
My experience says that if the filter is fitted with a new grommet it should stay put regardless of the supports??:confused:

Mine have always been rather hard to pull out and always leave the grommet in the valve body!!:cool:

I plan to drop my "TCI" deep pan next oil change....I'll report back but so far, so good at 6K miles!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

NTHE10s
01-12-2009, 05:41 PM
i never heard of this issue eather, but its not a good feeling to pull a pan and have a burnt trans because of it.... :(

so i hope it doesn't happen to anyone else!

Rich

jonroe
01-12-2009, 07:46 PM
It DID happen to me too - with the Ford Racing deep pan. The filter was in the pan. I caught it quickly enough so no damage. I know that only a few people have had this problem but can't we use an alternate filter with a longer neck? When I put the OEM filter in while installing the deep pan I was sure it was tight - so much for that. I think the supports are there for a reason. Right now I'm back to the OEM pan until I find a way to support a filter with the deep pan. Any ideas?

DOOM
01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Whats the purpose of you guys using deep trans pans??? :confused:

jonroe
01-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Purpose is two more quarts of oil with fins on the pan (and made of AL) which can let the trans oil run a little cooler.

BUCKWHEAT
01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
More fluid, cooler run, longer survival of the fluid. It also looks cool. So how often should we change the filter? I haven't. I just change fluid often, and drain (via the plug) the pan every 3k and add 5 qts.

Marauderjack
01-13-2009, 06:04 AM
Purpose is two more quarts of oil with fins on the pan (and made of AL) which can let the trans oil run a little cooler.

I put the TCI pan on in November and saw absolutely NO DROP in fluid temps!!:shake:

It does take longer to heat up and perhaps in Summer it might help but based on my current findings I would have stayed with the Ford pan with the drain plug in it......not to mention the possibility of the filter falling out!!:argue:

My $.02 FWIW!!??:confused:

Darrin
01-13-2009, 06:41 AM
I sell a pan for these that is very reasonably priced and I have never had this issue with at all.

Darrin

NTHE10s
01-13-2009, 07:16 AM
It DID happen to me too - with the Ford Racing deep pan. The filter was in the pan. I caught it quickly enough so no damage. I know that only a few people have had this problem but can't we use an alternate filter with a longer neck? When I put the OEM filter in while installing the deep pan I was sure it was tight - so much for that. I think the supports are there for a reason. Right now I'm back to the OEM pan until I find a way to support a filter with the deep pan. Any ideas?

i use playdoe to see how far away the filter was form the pan. i came up 3/8 away. i had some 3/8" (Alum) rod cut it down to (3) 3/8" picece. welded them in.

More fluid, help to cool the fluid, Trans Brake, and 10"-3800 stall

jonroe
01-13-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm not a welder but that's a fine solution. I did see that some trans come from the factory with a deep pan (vans?) so they must have a long neck filter. I think I even found some long neck filters while searching. Does anyone know if there truly is a proper Ford long neck filter for deep pans that would properly sit on the supports? Thanks.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Sounds like people should just leave the stock pan alone instead of this potential liability? Unless for sure you can find a long neck filter.

252life
01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Anybody had any issues with the Deep Transmission pan from Reinhart?

I have that on my car + a Fram filter, should I be worried?

Krytin
01-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm not a welder but that's a fine solution. I did see that some trans come from the factory with a deep pan (vans?) so they must have a long neck filter. I think I even found some long neck filters while searching. Does anyone know if there truly is a proper Ford long neck filter for deep pans that would properly sit on the supports? Thanks.

I keep hearing about a filter w/longer pick-up tube (normal solution for deep transmission pans - B&M used to sell these for their deep pans but not for this application) but have not found it to date. If someone knows the correct PN for this please post!
If not, I'm going to fabricate an extension for the stock filter pickup - this will draw cooler fluid from the bottom of the pan (if it is any cooler down there).

NTHE10s
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
yes, they have a filter with a long pick up. witch is the one i am and was using. i will get the number tomorrow.

252life- i got the pan from Reinheart but it is a (art carr) pan. also they my have fixed the issue sence i got it. i got it about 1.5 yrs ago.

Rich

Black_Noise
01-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I swapped to the fleet econoline van pan, no extra capacity, but it has a drain plug for easy fluid changes

252life
01-13-2009, 10:39 PM
252life- i got the pan from Reinheart but it is a (art carr) pan. also they my have fixed the issue sence i got it. i got it about 1.5 yrs ago.

Rich

Didn't know it was a Art Carr pan that Dennis sold, (Mine came in a plain box and no were either on his website or receipt was the name Art Carr mentioned)

Here's a picture of mine can you tell if it's the same as yours? Anyway I will definitely be taking mine off and checking the filter.

Marauderjack
01-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Didn't know it was a Art Carr pan that Dennis sold, (Mine came in a plain box and no were either on his website or receipt was the name Art Carr mentioned)

Here's a picture of mine can you tell if it's the same as yours? Anyway I will definitely be taking mine off and checking the filter.

Don't the three pegs it the second photo support the filter??:confused:

jonroe
01-14-2009, 05:30 AM
No they don't support the filter because they are too low in the deep pan. See the post above where someone measured a gap of about 3/8".

I was having driveability problems last summer when it felt like the trans slipped out of gear once in awhile. I took it to Ford. They test drove and noticed that the slipping mostly occurred while cornering. They dropped the (deep) pan and found the filter laying in it. So, I was oil starved especially while cornering. I asked them to put a long neck filter in to solve the problem and they wouldn't do it without voiding the warranty. So to keep the warranty I had to have them put a new filter in and a new OEM pan on.

My next step is to either locate a proper long neck filter (don't want this again) for the deep pan or simply go to an OEM pan with a drain plug.

Darrin
01-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Guys, a different filter won't fix this. The 'long neck' filters have their long neck on the other end, not the side that goes into the transmission. It's on the pickup side and that isn't going to keep the filter from falling out if that is the issue.

Darrin

Marauderjack
01-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Guys, a different filter won't fix this. The 'long neck' filters have their long neck on the other end, not the side that goes into the transmission. It's on the pickup side and that isn't going to keep the filter from falling out if that is the issue.

Darrin

Darrin,

Is this really a problem??? I have always had to pull pretty hard to remove my filters!!!:cool:

Also, someone said there is a 3/8" gap between the filter body and the pegs in the pan.....I think it would have to fall almost an inch to completely come out of the valve body??:confused:

jonroe
01-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Well, I don't know the answer but it did happen to me and I believe I installed the filter correctly. Maybe my particular filter didn't fit as tight as some others and, yes, I made sure I did not have double o-rings in the valve body.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-14-2009, 09:26 AM
The drain plug is useless since if you only drain from the bottom, you are only getting a small fraction of the fluid out of the system anyway. Powerflush that mother!

jonroe
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
I would say the drain plug is not useless. My plan is to drain the nearly 6 qts every other oil change (10K miles) and then do a flush much less frequently. If you are changing 6 qts every 10K you have a lot of fresh oil going through the system.

jonroe
01-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I've been looking all over the net today for alternate filters. So far, all I've found is our standard filter like the Fram FT1167A: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FRM-FT1167A&N=700+115&autoview=sku and a couple with long necks that are said to be for the 4R100/E40D, Fram FT1130A and FT1131A: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FRM-FT1130A&N=700+115&autoview=sku and http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FRM-FT1131A&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I guess those for the 4R100 don't fit? I have not found the alternate with the long pickup mentioned above. Some "deep pan" web sites mention to use the Ford 4WD filter vs the 2WD filter for deep pans. What does that mean - I haven't found the smoking gun there. Thanks for listening to my explorations.

Jon

Dennis Reinhart
01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Check filter supports in (ART CARR) deep pan before RUNNING!

well long story short. i had my Trans built to handle anything i put to it. i couldn't test it to its fullest because of the new motor. so i put some miles on the setup with a good street tune. everything was runing great....

i went to make a nice pass. well anything under 40mph it's spin city. so i roll into it pertty hard. 15lbs and a ear to ear grin I come to a stop. everything seemed ok. go to take off and after 3rd gear it would reave out like it was out of gear.

so i come home check to fuild. smiled a little burnt. next day i drain the fuild. it had some peaces of metal and cluch. i then pulled the (deep pan) and notice the filter was in the pan??? SO i had the trans rebuilt because most of the cluches were burnt. and the over drive was cooked. opps!

when putting the pan back on i notice the supports for the filter were 3/8inch lower then they should be. so i extended the supports and it time to test the FULL potential of the 4R70W...

Rich

Rich I have, as well as hundreds of other people sold Art Carr Transmission pans, I am sute there at least twnety member here that have bought them and are still in use. I quit selling those over 3 years ago because Art Car took there logo off the pan, and Ford Racing makes a very similar pan, you are the first I have heard of that has had this problem, but I did see a post here of another member that had a Ford Racing pan that had a similar problem, but as I said if you do not change the transmission filter retaining grommet this can happen, if you look at a stock OEM pan it has no support in it to hold the filter up, but I looked today and the pans I now sell do have three supports in the bottom. Again I hate to hear of your issue, you have a great car. Now I have seen the pans with the stands made into the bottom of the pan as well. I Spoke to Art Carr as a favor to you and they have had no other complaints, but it did happen to you. As I said you have a great car the magazine write up of your car is posted in my front office. I also have a AC pan on my Marauder now for three years and have not had a issue with it.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/session/00-00-1231956729-4770vb.jpg

Krytin
01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I've been looking all over the net today for alternate filters. So far, all I've found is our standard filter like the Fram FT1167A: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FRM-FT1167A&N=700+115&autoview=sku and a couple with long necks that are said to be for the 4R100/E40D, Fram FT1130A and FT1131A: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FRM-FT1130A&N=700+115&autoview=sku and http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FRM-FT1131A&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I guess those for the 4R100 don't fit? I have not found the alternate with the long pickup mentioned above. Some "deep pan" web sites mention to use the Ford 4WD filter vs the 2WD filter for deep pans. What does that mean - I haven't found the smoking gun there. Thanks for listening to my explorations.

Jon
I've been down the same road. I don't believe there is an alternate - looks like I'll be making the pick-up extension.

Dennis Reinhart
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I've been down the same road. I don't believe there is an alternate - looks like I'll be making the pick-up extension.

The pickup for a 1998 Mark 8 has the extension and every parts store Carry them

Krytin
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
The pickup for a 1998 Mark 8 has the extension and every parts store Carry them
Thanks for the info Dennis. That is one filter I haven't looked at yet!

Darrin
01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
The stock filter for a Marauder should have the pickup extension. Heck, any filter for a 96 and newer vehicle should have the pickup extension. Only the older transmissions with the flat bottom pan used the filter without it.

Darrin

Dennis Reinhart
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
The stock filter for a Marauder should have the pickup extension. Heck, any filter for a 96 and newer vehicle should have the pickup extension. Only the older transmissions with the flat bottom pan used the filter without it.

Darrin

You are absolutely right Darin

Krytin
01-14-2009, 05:24 PM

Darrin
I'm looking for a filter with a pick-up tube longer than the OEM to reach closer to the bottom of the deep pan I have. The B&M pan holds an extra three quarts.

Darrin
01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm looking for a filter with a pick-up tube longer than the OEM to reach closer to the bottom of the deep pan I have. The B&M pan holds an extra three quarts.

You are not going to find one longer than the one that came in your car stock. Nobody makes one and if you run low enough on fluid to have to worry about a pickup sitting lower than those then your problems are not with the filter. If that happens it's time to add fluid because you would then be about 5 quarts low. LOL

Man, I have done so many of these... You just couldn't imagine. I have always used the latest stock filter and never had a single problem in that area.

Darrin

Krytin
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm not having a problem.
39 years ago when I was putting deep transmission pans on automatic transmissions, they either came with a filter w/extended pickup or you bought the 4wd application filter.
The theory behind this (true or not I don't know for a fact) was to pull the suposedly cooler fluid from the bottom of the pan.
Ive got three filter changes on the B&M pan and over 40k miles and never had the oem filter fall off and never ran out of fluid.
Ive done a few of these too.

RF Overlord
01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Maybe I'm butting in where I don't belong...

...but...

I think what NTHE11s is talking about is a filter with a longer neck on the side that goes into the valve body, not on the fluid pickup side. I have one of these filters in my '68 Buick Gran Sport with a built Turbo 400 and deep pan from a truck.

crouse
01-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Here's a pic of the Ford M-7195-AOD aluminum transmission pan. I installed it back in October of 2007. At the time, the length of the support posts seemed to be about the difference between the stock pan and this deep pan. Not sure why there would be a problem with this pan.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/4/6/8/3/trans_pan_4_thumb.jpg (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=15218&c=3)

Darrin
01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
The best filter to use is the newest version from Ford. They already have an extended pickup. In 96 they put a new pan on the transmission that had a reservoir in the bottom. A lot of guys call it a dimple. It is recessed into the pan almost about 1.25in. With that pan they offered a new filter with the extended pickup. The old filters were flat on the bottom just like the old pan was. Nobody makes a filter with a longer extension than the factory one.

There definitely isn't a filter available with an extension where it goes into the VB.

Krytin, not sure if you know who I am or not. I am Darrin from BC Automotive, a site sponsor. These transmissions are my specialty. I wasn't trying to be smart. I have a whole lot of experience is what I was trying to say.

Darrin

Krytin
01-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Darin I know who you are and I DO respect your experience.
I just didn't think you understood what I'm looking for and still don't.
I have the latest filter from Ford - it still comes up short.
30 years ago the people making deep pans thought it was a good idea to pull oil from the bottom of the pan and still do according to the installation instructions that came with the B&M pan I have now. The only problem is as you have corectly stated there are no filters made that have any longer pickups than those available.
That is why I stated that I would have to try and make a suitable extension if possible.
All I was saying is I have some experience too.

Marauderjack
01-15-2009, 04:53 AM
The orange grommet that Dennis pointed out actually holds the filter in place!!:bows:

I have had to pull pretty hard to remove the ones I have changed......just be sure to remove the old one before installing the new filter and you will be OK!!!:beer:

Perhaps you can wire it up if you are afraid it will fallout??:eek:

Sounds to me like NTH may have done something different??:confused:

jonroe
01-15-2009, 05:35 AM
Here's a pic of the Ford M-7195-AOD aluminum transmission pan. I installed it back in October of 2007. At the time, the length of the support posts seemed to be about the difference between the stock pan and this deep pan. Not sure why there would be a problem with this pan.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/4/6/8/3/trans_pan_4_thumb.jpg (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=15218&c=3)

This is the deep pan I had on when my filter came loose inside so the posts do not reach to the filter. I seem to be mostly alone having the problem - it appears to be rare. I was very careful in removing the old grommet that was stuck in the valve body and installing the new filter. The only thing I can think of is that the new filter I got (can't remember from where) possibly fit the valve body more loosely than normal and came loose causing oil starvation. I could try again with a true OEM filter from Ford and see how that works. Thanks for all the commentary here. Jon

NTHE10s
01-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Didn't know it was a Art Carr pan that Dennis sold, (Mine came in a plain box and no were either on his website or receipt was the name Art Carr mentioned).

yes that is the same pan i have. and the filter i am using has a longer neck on the pick side not the valve body side. i dont think they make a longer neck on the valve body side???

Rich

NTHE10s
01-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Rich I have, as well as hundreds of other people sold Art Carr Transmission pans, I am sute there at least twnety member here that have bought them and are still in use. I quit selling those over 3 years ago because Art Car took there logo off the pan, and Ford Racing makes a very similar pan, you are the first I have heard of that has had this problem, but I did see a post here of another member that had a Ford Racing pan that had a similar problem, but as I said if you do not change the transmission filter retaining grommet this can happen, if you look at a stock OEM pan it has no support in it to hold the filter up, but I looked today and the pans I now sell do have three supports in the bottom. Again I hate to hear of your issue, you have a great car. Now I have seen the pans with the stands made into the bottom of the pan as well. I Spoke to Art Carr as a favor to you and they have had no other complaints, but it did happen to you. As I said you have a great car the magazine write up of your car is posted in my front office. I also have a AC pan on my Marauder now for three years and have not had a issue with it.

thank you Dennis,
this post is not just for a certain pan. it was more a FYI if anyone uses a modifed pan, parts, ect... as you know i dont use second best parts. i do the reseach i can at the time i upgrade, build, ect. even if i fine a better part later in the build i will upgrade if i see a problem!

i have not had a problem with filters in the past. the factory pan don't have stands so i didn't think it would have been needed and i ALWAY use NEW gaskets, parts, ect.. when i rebuild or build a project.

For ex: i had a issue with the tran pan. did some reseach found the problem and extended the stands to hold the filter in. had the Tran rebuilt gaskets to hardware (100%) because i know it will be PUT TO THE TEST!!!! soon :D

I think they should have a FYI thread.

Rich

Darrin
01-15-2009, 07:04 AM
I have heard the hype, put out by transmission pan companies by the way, that the deeper pans help quite a bit with cooling. While that may be true for a race car that is only running for a very short time and has a lot of airflow under the car, it isn't true for a daily driven car. The fins just are not adequate and there isn't enough airflow down there.

The extra fluid capacity does a couple of things, some which aren't a whole lot of help for a daily driver either. The extra fluid does take longer to warm up and that can help with your race car. In a colder climate that might not be the best answer for a daily driver though. Ford put a thermostat on the vehicles with external coolers to help them warm up faster, the extra fluid is going to slow that down. And, the extra fluid also takes longer to cool down once it's warmed up. If your cooling system is at capacity already of course. On a race car that isn't much of an issue. On a daily driver it sure can be. It can actually cause more trouble than good.

The problem in adding more fluid is with thermal inertia and the added mass has added thermal inertia by default. When it's cold it stays colder longer but will heat up to the same level as a system with less capacity and once it gets there it will get just as hot but stay that way longer unless something is done with the actual cooling system to cool it off faster. There is not only the added mass of the fluid, but look at how much more mass there is on those pans over the stock ones. Physics dictates all of this.

So yes, I do understand what you are after. I just don't really understand why. If you are after cooler fluid on a vehicle that is designed to keep excess airflow out from underneath the car and runs for longer than the staging lanes and a pass down the track then you need to address the cooling system instead. A pan alone might actually take you the other direction.

So why do I suggest deeper pans with more capacity?

I only suggest them as long as the vehicle has a cooler that is adequate to start with, but the real reason for having one is because that extra fluid will last longer before it breaks down. If it's kept cool by the cooling system of course.

The long and the short of it is that you shouldn't buy a deep pan for cooling purposes on a daily driven vehicle. For that purpose you need to upgrade your transmission cooler.

Darrin

jonroe
01-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Darrin,

I really appreciate your analysis. Thank you. I see your points. :)

I'm probably leaning to just getting the OEM pan with a drain plug because I do like to exchange some of the fluid on a regular basis between true flushes.

Jon

Jolly Roger
01-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Before purchasing my pan I looked at the TCI, Ford Racing and the Art Carr pan and they all looked the same to me except for the price.
And I don't think I want my filter right on the bottom of the pan where all of the worn clutch material accumulates.

Krytin
01-15-2009, 08:14 AM
I have heard the hype, put out by transmission pan companies by the way, that the deeper pans help quite a bit with cooling. While that may be true for a race car that is only running for a very short time and has a lot of airflow under the car, it isn't true for a daily driven car. The fins just are not adequate and there isn't enough airflow down there.

The extra fluid capacity does a couple of things, some which aren't a whole lot of help for a daily driver either. The extra fluid does take longer to warm up and that can help with your race car. In a colder climate that might not be the best answer for a daily driver though. Ford put a thermostat on the vehicles with external coolers to help them warm up faster, the extra fluid is going to slow that down. And, the extra fluid also takes longer to cool down once it's warmed up. If your cooling system is at capacity already of course. On a race car that isn't much of an issue. On a daily driver it sure can be. It can actually cause more trouble than good.

The problem in adding more fluid is with thermal inertia and the added mass has added thermal inertia by default. When it's cold it stays colder longer but will heat up to the same level as a system with less capacity and once it gets there it will get just as hot but stay that way longer unless something is done with the actual cooling system to cool it off faster. There is not only the added mass of the fluid, but look at how much more mass there is on those pans over the stock ones. Physics dictates all of this.

So yes, I do understand what you are after. I just don't really understand why. If you are after cooler fluid on a vehicle that is designed to keep excess airflow out from underneath the car and runs for longer than the staging lanes and a pass down the track then you need to address the cooling system instead. A pan alone might actually take you the other direction.

So why do I suggest deeper pans with more capacity?

I only suggest them as long as the vehicle has a cooler that is adequate to start with, but the real reason for having one is because that extra fluid will last longer before it breaks down. If it's kept cool by the cooling system of course.

The long and the short of it is that you shouldn't buy a deep pan for cooling purposes on a daily driven vehicle. For that purpose you need to upgrade your transmission cooler.

Darrin

Thank you for that. I did upgrade the cooling w/an additional cooler in series w/the OEM when I installed the pan.

Darrin
01-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Thank you for that. I did upgrade the cooling w/an additional cooler in series w/the OEM when I installed the pan.

Honestly then I wouldn't worry so much about where you are picking up the fluid as long as you are picking it up where you are not going to suck air with it.

If you check the temp of the metal on the pan you will find that it stays hotter for longer with that thick aluminum pan than the stock steel pan does if you have adequate cooling capacity. It honestly might not be best to pick up fluid that is laying closer to it.

What I do know is that I wash all types of transmission pans in a hot washer. The factory steel pans cool off quicker and I can pick them up by hand well before I can the aftermarket aluminum ones.

If you were near the shop I would be glad to show you.

Darrin

crouse
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
The main reason I bought the Ford aluminum pan was the drain plug.

Krytin
01-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Honestly then I wouldn't worry so much about where you are picking up the fluid as long as you are picking it up where you are not going to suck air with it.

If you check the temp of the metal on the pan you will find that it stays hotter for longer with that thick aluminum pan than the stock steel pan does if you have adequate cooling capacity. It honestly might not be best to pick up fluid that is laying closer to it.

What I do know is that I wash all types of transmission pans in a hot washer. The factory steel pans cool off quicker and I can pick them up by hand well before I can the aftermarket aluminum ones.

If you were near the shop I would be glad to show you.

Darrin

I understand and have also seen what you are talking about.
My concern is not of the desperate type - I have been running the car w/deep pan & OEM filters for almost three years now with out incident.
I was just looking for the last small edge.
As you point out, the coolest oil might not be on the bottom due to heat retention in the casting but the cooler oil returning from the oil cooler circut is going to go to the bottom of the pan first. The bottom of the pan will be the coolest part of the transmission (or at least the coolest part in the area of the oil sump). An extended pickup will draw the coolest oil available from the bottom of the pan.

offroadkarter
01-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Powerflush that mother!

But then you are putting all that crap through out your trans before the new fluid enters

Rob
09-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Sorry for the blast from the past, but I have a TCI pan (previous owner installed) and when I went to change my tranny filter/fluid, the filter was in the pan. I have no idea how long it was there, but fortunately I did not have any problems. Popped a new OEM filter in. No, the old o-ring was not stuck in there.

I thought my issue was a one-off fluke thing, but seems it isn't. Now I'm worried...

babbage
09-11-2013, 01:05 PM
I got this pan: http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_9685.php

It does have 3 raised fingers to support the filter, never had my filter come off. Dropped pan 5-6 times and filter was never loose.

RF Overlord
09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Most likely the previous owner didn't seat the filter correctly. If it's done properly, there's no reason for it to dislodge.

Either that or they used a cheap filter/o-ring seal that was out of dimensional spec.

fastblackmerc
09-11-2013, 02:04 PM
I just did the J-Mod to my tranny this weekend. Have an Art Carr pan from DR. Filter was in place after 65K+ miles. The pan has 3 "fingers" to support the filter. If the filter is installed correctly I don't see how it can come out. My was a biotch to get back in almost had to hammer it in... and yes I did remove the old o-ring.

ctrlraven
09-11-2013, 03:23 PM
I have an old Art Carr trans pan (no actual name on it) that I got from DR. Never seen the filter loose when the pan has been taken off. I've always used a Motorcraft trans filter and had to take a pick tool to get the old o-ring out after fighting with the filter to come loose.

ajdereicup
09-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Well this is something for me to watchout for when I install my deep pan.

Kind of off topic but kinda on topic @Nthe10s what's your tranny rated to handle? And info on whats in it? If you could PM me or whatever it'd be great. I might as well have a tranny all ready to go for when my engines ready but I have no idea about them and my google searches haven't come up very successful about how to build them to handle a nice amount of power