PDA

View Full Version : Lidio vs Reinhart tune

gnxtc2
01-18-2009, 04:16 PM
I have a Lidio tune in my car. I don't like the 1-2 shift. It shifted into 2nd almost immediately. Like the new CVPI. I contacted Lidio if he can redo the 1-2 shift and he said that he doesn't do anymore custom tunes. :(

Could I send my SCT to Reinhart and have his tunes put on them?

Has anyone gone from Lidio tune to a Reinhart tune or vice versa?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

ImpalaSlayer
01-18-2009, 04:18 PM
too bad Zack was run off this site he would be able to help you. his trans tunes rock!

MM03MOK
01-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Give Dennis a call on Tuesday. I'm sure he can help.

knine
01-18-2009, 04:20 PM
too bad Zack was run off this site he would be able to help you. his trans tunes rock!
+1 14.3 on a stock car with 4:10 ca and Zack tune. I LOVE the way the car shifts (03) 470 not a 475 tranny

gnxtc2
01-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Anyway of getting ahold of Zack?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Master
01-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Anything against calling Reinhart? Their tunes work. I had the same problem with Lidio's shop, too. Wouldn't do any custom tune. I can appreciate the integrity, but coming from Nova Scotia to Detroit was not an option, so DR stepped in and helped out with a "mail-order" tune that not only worked great, but inlcuded free updates (tweaks) for a year. Nothing against Lidio's policy, by the way, but if he'd been able to help me when I asked, I'd probably have a trilogy now and not a Vortec. Well, that's the way business goes.
Oh, and don't forget, DR supports this site, so why not support him? Just a thought...

Jolly Roger
01-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Started with a Lidio tune, went to a DR tune, liked it better.
I have a Zack tune in the wings awaiting download for testing.;)

Dennis Reinhart
01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
I have a Lidio tune in my car. I don't like the 1-2 shift. It shifted into 2nd almost immediately. Like the new CVPI. I contacted Lidio if he can redo the 1-2 shift and he said that he doesn't do anymore custom tunes. :(

Could I send my SCT to Reinhart and have his tunes put on them?

Has anyone gone from Lidio tune to a Reinhart tune or vice versa?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Just give me a call tomorrow

HBTMD
01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I have a DR tune and DR Cold Air Intake. They are both GREAT!! Dennis is also great about picking up the phone and helping his customers out.

Go with Dennis Reinhart. You will be glad you did. You will also enjoy your MM a lot more.:beer:

DTRMiguel
01-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Zack tune FTMFW :eek:

DEFYANT
01-19-2009, 08:13 AM
I've been running a Lidio tune for about 4 - 5 years now. I'm still very satisfied. Not surprising Lidio doesnt do custom tunes, suppose his business has evolved to the point where he doesnt have too... Car on the dyno is the best regardless of who you chose.

Master
01-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Agreed. Its funny, but even though we have our own dyno there just doesn't seem to be enough interested locally for us to invest the 10 large or more to have our own tuning set-up in Nova Scotia. Lots of Hondas will blow money on this stuff, but the local mustang guys, not so much. It would take about 5 years just to break even on an SCT contract. So, we end up dyno-ing here but getting the programming from there. This is where DR excelled.

Vortech347
01-19-2009, 09:40 AM

My tranny shifted worse with his.

Something about the TQ converter lockup was way off... You get what you pay for. It NEVER locked. It was so annoying! Also lots of "clunking" for some reason. Someone that does it for a living day in and day out will be your best bet. I don't think Zack owns his own shop or anything.. Talk to Dennis he'll set you right. I love the way my trans is now.

Darrin
01-19-2009, 10:14 AM

As I said on another site, Zack had a LOT of help with 'his' transmission tuning. Also as I said on another site, I think if you ask him he is a stand up enough guy to tell you who it is that helped him.

I don't dislike Zack at all so please don't read it that way. It's just that I keep seeing you all carrying on about 'his' tunes and I have to tell you that they may not be as much 'his' as is commonly believed.

Again, I bet you he will tell you where his help came from if you press him on it.

Also, what was given to him won't work the same on every car. Some will be happy with the results and some won't since it wasn't designed for their setup.

Darrin

BODYMAN
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
People can go on and on, but all I got to say is who owns a shop? and who dont? I think that speaks for itself. AS for Dennis I have spoken with him on the phone in the past and have always found him willing to spend time and help. The other I have never met?

ckadiddle
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
I have been driving with a DR tune for several years and still love it. I ordered from Dennis mainly because of his location in my state.

It was a real hoot watching the wife's face when we test drove Black Thunder, the wife was driving and was anticipating the DR tune shifts she was used to from driving Blue Thunder- not the soft slow mushy shifting of the stock tune.

TJCOX
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
:burnout:I highly recommend the DR tune as it woke my M.M. up as far as the T.C.
goes....Thanks again Dennis!

Tom

slick rick
01-20-2009, 09:19 AM
DR tune woke my car up.

a_d_a_m
01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
i have no real basis for comparison, as the the only other marauder i ever drove, i granny-pedaled...but i will say, i enjoy my car quite a bit, and it was sold to me with a DR tune on it.

PSG
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
DR tune works great, and he is there to talk to you and answer any questions when you need it, and if lidio wont do them anymore , it seems like there isn't a lot of choice, unless you want to get a dyno tune done, but that'll cost a lot more

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
I picked a DR tune because I like the fact that he maintains TC lock in both 3rd and 4th, and TC lock (at least in my tune) comes in right after the 2-3 shift (about 38 mph). Not using lockup other than 65+ in 4th (like some other tunes) is a bandaid tune for me so that was not an option. No sense in heating up the transmission cruising up hill at 50 mph. I had him back the shift firmness down so it is not too aggressive for me (after all my car is otherwise stock and I don't need to lay rubber shifting and run a high 14 second 1/4 mile) and the shift timing feels good. It holds 1-2 way out compared to stock, even at light throttle the 1-2 comes about 3,000 rpms. The DOHC likes this and it makes the car feel much more responsive. I have no vested interest in promoting anyone's tune, I just chose based on what I read about the shift routines.

Vortech347
01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
^^^I totally agree.

The "other guys" tune I had the TQ converter was ALWAYS loose. The car drove very sloppy. If you also drive a 5-speed you'll know what I mean. I ran this tune for about 10 minutes and put the DR tune back on. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better. I like the more "direct drive" feel of the DR tune for around town.

Marauder131
01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
I've been running a Lidio tune for about 4 - 5 years now. I'm still very satisfied. Not surprising Lidio doesnt do custom tunes, suppose his business has evolved to the point where he doesnt have too... Car on the dyno is the best regardless of who you chose.

Lidio's tune really woke my car up. I have the utmost confidence in Lidio's tuning expertise.

Meteorite
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I have a Lidio tune in my car. I don't like the 1-2 shift. It shifted into 2nd almost immediately.

At what percent throttle does it do this?

I have Lidio's tune, and my 1-2 shift is absolute perfection. At WOT, it happens near the redline, and I chirp the tires every time.

I wonder if you might have other trans issues?

I also love the converter unlock schedule Lidio uses.

Black_Noise
02-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Lidio any time over D.R.

Mike
02-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Anyway of getting ahold of Zack?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

PM him :burnout:

Mest30
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I first had a Lidio tune and liked it but did not like his cusomer service. I changed to DR because Lidio didnt answer any of my questions. DR's tune was better IMO opinion and I like Zack's (regardless of who actually did it) better than Lidio's or DR's.

SC Cheesehead
02-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I first had a Lidio tune and liked it but did not like his cusomer service. I changed to DR because Lidio didnt answer any of my questions. DR's tune was better IMO opinion and I like Zack's (regardless of who actually did it) better than Lidio's or DR's.

I've run both DR and Zack's tunes (currently have Zack's loaded), like them both; want to spend some time at the track this spring running both to see what the difference is on 1/4 mile times.

Zack
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I heard a few rumors that I use a DR file and 'slightly' modify it.
What a joke!

Your car starts and runs, right?
....then its definitely not a DR tune. :eek:

Mest30
02-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Looks like Zack is requesting another vacation shortly.

Bradley G
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
So you paid twice too!
That's funny too! cause My Marauder with Lidios' N/A tune went 14.2.
So......, You may have not wanted to hear What Mr. Icobelli had to say but short of driving your Marauder to Darrien/Lonnie Or Lidio, I guess you will have to keep wondering what it's like to hammer your Marauder into the thirteens!:P

Mest30
02-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Funny, Brad. But once I get my TC installed, I wont have to wonder what it's like to be in the 13s anymore. I coming for you in March!

Bradley G
02-16-2009, 05:00 PM
OK I'll take that into consideration.
Just remember there will be a learning curve with the convertor.
It may not yield the results you are expecting right away.
Funny, Brad. But once I get my TC installed, I wont have to wonder what it's like to be in the 13s anymore. I coming for you in March!

Darrin
02-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I heard a few rumors that I use a DR file and 'slightly' modify it.
What a joke!

Your car starts and runs, right?
....then its definitely not a DR tune. :eek:
I hadn't heard the rumor that you used a DR file.

But, I definitely know who did help you get your transmissions tuning down ;)

Darrin

Zack
02-16-2009, 08:56 PM
I hadn't heard the rumor that you used a DR file.

But, I definitely know who did help you get your transmissions tuning down ;)

Darrin

You keep saying you know something i dont.

You really have me stumped Darrin.
I made the TC lockup and shift schedule on my own, with no help from others.
Again, Im really puzzled. :dunno:

Zack
02-16-2009, 09:02 PM
...if you think James from RWTD did my trans stuff, he didnt.
After he tuned the car, I pasted my trans value file into the tune (the one you looked over)

2,4shofast
02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Not trying to piss people off here but I have tried Zack's tune and it didnt work at all for my car, the shift points were off and the TC couldnt figure out what it wanted to do...I had it Dyno tuned for a DR tune and picked up 45+hp. I think DR's tune is the best base to start from. I have never been in a Lidio car but I have heard good results from his as well. My .02

Iowa Rick
02-16-2009, 09:25 PM

I to bought a Lidio tune right after I bought my MM. It was killing my low speed gas mileage. Most of my driving is under 65mph and I needed the Torque Converter locking up at a lower speed and in both 3rd and 4th. I too was told by Lidios shop that they didn't do custom tunes.

I asked Zack about him providing a tune and he made it like I wanted. What more can a person ask? I now have a MM that drives just like I like it.

I asked DR via emails questions about tuners and tunes before I bought mine from Lidio. I never got a response. Different results for different folks I guess. Rick

Dennis Reinhart
02-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I answer the phone every day. I answer emails on Sundays, I have spent over a hour on the phone with customers walking them through live load, so to me it is up to you where you buy your tune from, Lidio is a good tuner, call him and talk to him and then if you like call me, bottom line is you are trying to improve the cars performance.

Jolly Roger
02-17-2009, 01:08 AM
I can vouch for time spent being walked through Live Load by DR.
Probably more than an hour.
He wouldn't give up.

Darrin
02-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Zack,

Come on now. I didn't just "look through" a tune for you. I redid the transmission section.

I have seen a couple of these tunes from you so far. I use a few particular numbers in places that people wouldn't normally just come up with. I do that as a test to see who is doing what.

Guess who is doing what?

I am not at all mad and it isn't a big deal. I really don't care. Let's just not act like it didn't happen. I can open up tunes that you gave people and open up one of mine from forever ago and display them side by side.

With the numbers there it's obvious that it's impossible for it to be a coincidence.

Again, I am not at all mad about it and I hold no grudge whatsoever. I don't really care because as long as people are being helped, that's all that matters. It's all about taking care of people and making them happy and it sounds like several people are happy with what you have given them.

As Dennis said, there is a matter of knowledge and ability needed for support. With a professional tuner you pay more for that end of things. You are paying for the years of experience and thousands upon thousands of dollars that we spend to get education and proper equipment to do this stuff.

That extra initial investment pays off for the customer on several levels. You are far more likely to get the right tune the first time, you are less likely to get a tune that might damage your car, and you get the knowledge from your tuner to easily be able to sort out any possible trouble more quickly and easily.

It's all about what people want. Some people prefer to pay for that piece of mind and I appreciate that. Some people prefer to go for less of an initial investment and take their chances on the rest. I can appreciate that as well. It's their call and their car.

Darrin

Mest30
02-17-2009, 06:33 AM
OK I'll take that into consideration.
Just remember there will be a learning curve with the convertor.
It may not yield the results you are expecting right away.

That's why I have you to help me.

Bradley G
02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
I can appreciate the effort to help another Marauder'er but by helping Zack, he won't acknowledge your efforts and expertise and he is/was selling people e-mail tunes with that info.
So How can you recoupe your investment and make a living when he is allowed to run rickshaw cutting out the vendors?
Zack,

Come on now. I didn't just "look through" a tune for you. I redid the transmission section.

I have seen a couple of these tunes from you so far. I use a few particular numbers in places that people wouldn't normally just come up with. I do that as a test to see who is doing what.

Guess who is doing what?

I am not at all mad and it isn't a big deal. I really don't care. Let's just not act like it didn't happen. I can open up tunes that you gave people and open up one of mine from forever ago and display them side by side.

With the numbers there it's obvious that it's impossible for it to be a coincidence.

Again, I am not at all mad about it and I hold no grudge whatsoever. I don't really care because as long as people are being helped, that's all that matters. It's all about taking care of people and making them happy and it sounds like several people are happy with what you have given them.

As Dennis said, there is a matter of knowledge and ability needed for support. With a professional tuner you pay more for that end of things. You are paying for the years of experience and thousands upon thousands of dollars that we spend to get education and proper equipment to do this stuff.

That extra initial investment pays off for the customer on several levels. You are far more likely to get the right tune the first time, you are less likely to get a tune that might damage your car, and you get the knowledge from your tuner to easily be able to sort out any possible trouble more quickly and easily.

It's all about what people want. Some people prefer to pay for that piece of mind and I appreciate that. Some people prefer to go for less of an initial investment and take their chances on the rest. I can appreciate that as well. It's their call and their car.

Darrin

Bradley G
02-17-2009, 06:49 AM
You Know it Brother! And we are gonna be smiling all the way down the 1320!:banana2:
That's why I have you to help me.

Zack
02-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Darrin, with all due respect if you changed a value or two, you did not make a mention of it to me.
Please pm me the value (s) you did change so I know whats up.

And BTW, the trans tunes I send out are the same ones I made back in 04, about 2 years before we met.

So again, Im really puzzled.

And Bradley G, STFU.

Zack
02-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Ok Bradley, now that youve angered me, let me retract the STFU and ask you why you would make such a bogus statement.

When have I ever taken credit for someone else's hard work or efforts?

Really, we all want to know.

Darrin
02-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Darrin, with all due respect if you changed a value or two, you did not make a mention of it to me.
Please pm me the value (s) you did change so I know whats up.

And BTW, the trans tunes I send out are the same ones I made back in 04, about 2 years before we met.

So again, Im really puzzled.

And Bradley G, STFU.

Look, I am not going to argue about it. It is what it is.

I told a few other vendors that I was going to help you out up front and was warned how it would turn out. I thought you were a more stand up guy than this. I am disappointed to say the least.

Again, no hard feelings, lets just leave it alone for the best interests of everyone.

Darrin

Zack
02-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Im in awe over this, so I actually sent Darrin a PM rather than going further in public.

Dennis Reinhart
02-17-2009, 08:44 AM
I asked DR via emails questions about tuners and tunes before I bought mine from Lidio. I never got a response. Different results for different folks I guess. Rick

Rick all kinds of things can happen with email, but a simple phone call can fix every thing, but you found some one to help, and your happy with the results and that is all thats important.:beer:

rayjay
02-17-2009, 09:17 AM
I to bought a Lidio tune right after I bought my MM. It was killing my low speed gas mileage. Most of my driving is under 65mph and I needed the Torque Converter locking up at a lower speed and in both 3rd and 4th. Rick

+1, and when dyno'd did 0 for HP/TQ. My chip was completely rewritten by the tuner. Huge difference afterwards.

Darrin
02-17-2009, 10:14 AM
As Dennis said, a simple phone call is much better than an email. Same goes for PM's.

Zack took the initiative to call me and discuss this truly non-issue directly. That says a lot. In just a few minutes we cleared up in a very friendly way what could have gone very wrong in an ugly way.

So lets clear it up for everyone else.

I never said that Zack stole anything. Ever.

I never called Zack a liar. Ever.

I don't dislike Zack. I actually kind of like him for some unknown reason.

Zack sent me a file a while back and asked for some help with it. I helped out but only a very little and only made some basic changes.

All I ever said is that Zack got some help and I was sure that he would tell people that if asked.

Somehow a misunderstanding started over these simple facts, but as far as I am concerned it is completely resolved. Everything doesn't have to be some sinister plot and not everything that is said has to have some hidden meaning.

The bottom line is that Zack didn't do anything out of line in this case at all.

Darrin

Mest30
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM

x2

Zack
02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks Darrin for the explanation.

Good talking to you BTW. :D

SC Cheesehead
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=719956#post71 9956)

x2

Me too, kinda cute little fella, ain't he? ;)

Actually he's got good taste in car colors, and EXCELLENT taste in beer! :drink:

bigmerc2003
02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Anything against calling Reinhart? Their tunes work. I had the same problem with Lidio's shop, too. Wouldn't do any custom tune. I can appreciate the integrity, but coming from Nova Scotia to Detroit was not an option, so DR stepped in and helped out with a "mail-order" tune that not only worked great, but inlcuded free updates (tweaks) for a year. Nothing against Lidio's policy, by the way, but if he'd been able to help me when I asked, I'd probably have a trilogy now and not a Vortec. Well, that's the way business goes.
Oh, and don't forget, DR supports this site, so why not support him? Just a thought...

I do not think Lidio would even touch a specialized tune for a car that is not even close to his shop and for good reason, a DR tune works in Florida and warm sticky climates. I would not want a DR tune for Chicago weather, the values are not meant for this climate

Car on the dyno is the only way to go, each car will react different and each area will need different values to maximize the power of the car.

Lidio any time over D.R.

I pm'ed Lidio and was responded to by 8am the next day and was offered a lot of help, he seemed like a great guy.

CKMustangCobra
02-17-2009, 07:16 PM
You all should just send me a Xcal with a Zack tune, DR tune and a Lidio tune and I will write an extensive essay on the results.

:)

I seriously need a tune.

bigmerc2003
02-18-2009, 08:21 AM
You all should just send me a Xcal with a Zack tune, DR tune and a Lidio tune and I will write an extensive essay on the results.

:)

I seriously need a tune.

In all seriousness someone should contact DR and Lidio and borrow a tuner, test each tune on the street and dyno and write a post on what is good and what could be better. Then if Zack would, adjust his trans tune into each tune and re-test each again on the street and dyno and posting what was thought of the trans tune. This would have to be done in one day and on one car so the the results could be evenly compaired.

rayjay
02-18-2009, 08:48 AM
In all seriousness someone should contact DR and Lidio and borrow a tuner, test each tune on the street and dyno and write a post on what is good and what could be better. Then if Zack would, adjust his trans tune into each tune and re-test each again on the street and dyno and posting what was thought of the trans tune. This would have to be done in one day and on one car so the the results could be evenly compaired.

Another great idea that doesn't stand a chance of happening.

bigmerc2003
02-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Another great idea that doesn't stand a chance of happening.

And that is what bothers me! Lets put issues to bed like this, lets get factual data that is comparable and ussefull for people. I can not use someone in New Yorks expierience on one tune to campare to a Florida tune, there are too many variables like weather, tuners, cars ect. Someone needs to do this on a dyno all in one shot to post facts and say tune x needs this but this is great, tune y lacks this but has this, and a trans tune does this..... you get the point.

Darrin
02-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't want to sound like an ass, but you know you guys are free to do exactly what you are talking about, right? Why don't a bunch of you who seem to really care about this just pitch in and buy a tuner from each of the players and go to the dyno and get er done.

I don't see how it's the vendors responsibility to prove to you that you need to buy their product by going to extremes like these where they set up a comparison. Each tuner knows that he is the best. That just goes along with the territory and you are not going to find anyone in this business that will say "Yeah, he is better than I am." It just isn't going to happen. You are also not going to get these guys to offer up to do a comparison like you are asking. Why? Because someone will win the day and someone won't. Give it a different day under a different set of circumstances or a different set of criteria and the winners and losers will probably come out different.

Actualy, isn't that what the race track is for?

But again, that isn't stopping you guys from doing this all on your own. All it takes is really honestly wanting to know enough to do what it takes to find out.

Or, you can sit around and discuss it to death and never really get anywhere with it.

Darrin

rayjay
02-18-2009, 11:05 AM
6 years in I don't see anyone spending the coin.

Darrin
02-18-2009, 11:10 AM

And you will NEVER get any reputable tuner to give up his secrets by providing a tune that can be modified like this. For it to be modified, it can therefore be read. Who in their right mind would provide the best of their work in a way that would allow everyone to copy it?

Doing that would be great for the end users. For a while that is...

How it would go is that the really good tuners have now given up their secrets. That takes away their value and a lot of their revenue because a copycat that honestly doesn't know how to tune will start selling their tunes. This either pisses the really good tuners off a whole bunch or hurts their business enough to make it not worth their while to continue or even force them out. Or, all of the above.

Then, with the real tuners no longer at your disposal, you are left with the copycat that doesn't know how to tune. What will you do when you have a setup that doesn't work with what they have a file for and you need a tune?

Think about it. Don't poo-poo it because it has happened already. There are several shops that are already out of business and many more who are on the fringe in this economy.

Darrin

bigmerc2003
02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't want to sound like an ass, but you know you guys are free to do exactly what you are talking about, right? Why don't a bunch of you who seem to really care about this just pitch in and buy a tuner from each of the players and go to the dyno and get er done.

I don't see how it's the vendors responsibility to prove to you that you need to buy their product by going to extremes like these where they set up a comparison. Each tuner knows that he is the best. That just goes along with the territory and you are not going to find anyone in this business that will say "Yeah, he is better than I am." It just isn't going to happen. You are also not going to get these guys to offer up to do a comparison like you are asking. Why? Because someone will win the day and someone won't. Give it a different day under a different set of circumstances or a different set of criteria and the winners and losers will probably come out different.

Actualy, isn't that what the race track is for?

But again, that isn't stopping you guys from doing this all on your own. All it takes is really honestly wanting to know enough to do what it takes to find out.

Or, you can sit around and discuss it to death and never really get anywhere with it.

Darrin

Then it will never get done, I am not spending money to find out which is best, I want the best right up front! Oh well back to the drawing board

Darrin
02-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Then it will never get done, I am not spending money to find out which is best, I want the best right up front! Oh well back to the drawing board

You say you want the best. The best for what? It sucks to know this, but there is no overall best. No 'one size fits all' solution. The best for power will likely not make you happy for drivability or economy. The best for economy definitely will not make you happy for power and drivability. And, the best for drivability won't make you happy for power and economy.

Also, particularly with these cars, there is so much variation in owner expectation. Give me 25 Mustang guys and I can make pretty much all of them happy with 1 basic tuning philosophy, make it faster than everyone else. With the Panther platform it just isn't that way at all. The crowd is much more diverse.

Darrin

Marauderjack
02-18-2009, 03:51 PM
You say you want the best. The best for what? It sucks to know this, but there is no overall best. No 'one size fits all' solution. The best for power will likely not make you happy for drivability or economy. The best for economy definitely will not make you happy for power and drivability. And, the best for drivability won't make you happy for power and economy.

Also, particularly with these cars, there is so much variation in owner expectation. Give me 25 Mustang guys and I can make pretty much all of them happy with 1 basic tuning philosophy, make it faster than everyone else. With the Panther platform it just isn't that way at all. The crowd is much more diverse.

Darrin

Well stated Darrin!!:beer:

I have been working on my tunes for power and drivability since Feb 2004 and finally have what I believe is perfect for me!!:bows: I could email this tune to another owner and he would more than likely say "poo"??:eek:

You need to find someone that will LISTEN to what you want and attempt to do what YOU wish......TOUGH JOB!!:help:

How ya doin' Darrin??

Marauderjack:burnout:

CKMustangCobra
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Damn guys... I was just joking around. Notice the smiley?

In all seriousness though... I'll test some tunes and write a report. :)

offroadkarter
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
+1, and when dyno'd did 0 for HP/TQ. My chip was completely rewritten by the tuner. Huge difference afterwards.

their musta been something up with your lidio tune, because once i put my lidio 91/3.55 on, my car gained the ability to go sideways with 1/4 throttle.

rayjay
02-18-2009, 05:37 PM
their musta been something up with your lidio tune, because once i put my lidio 91/3.55 on, my car gained the ability to go sideways with 1/4 throttle.

The guy who tuned my car comment was "what was he thinking?" My chip was completely over written.

CKMustangCobra
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Anyone want to sell a used tuner?

Paul T. Casey
02-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Note: The following words are just my opinions, not meant to hurt anyone's e-feelings or anything like that. These opinions are from my experiences. I hope it helps ypu a little.

I've had some experience with both "off the shelf" and "custom" tunes. Here's a few thoughts about them. I started off with Jerry W's tune, an SCT based tune, which DR was selling at the time. Back then, I had to remove the PCM, ship it to Florida, and re-install it after the program was "over-written" (quotations because Idon't feel this is a bad thing). At the time, I thought it worked rather well, although I didn't get any dyno numbers. Coupled with the other mods I did at that time, the car went from 15.1 sec in the quarter to I think around 14.7 (using consistent numbers, not bests). In those days, it was about the only game in town. I'm not sure if DR is still using Jerry's stuff, but I was pretty satisfied at the time.
Fast forward a little bit, some more mods, which included the Kooks headers and exhaust (the best bang for the buck NA mod IMHO). The car started to go 14.3 or better always). I stopped at a dyno shop in the Chattanooga TN area, and contracted the tuner and dyno. Part of the deal was the Diablo Flip chip. In the flip chip was installed the "off the shelf" tune and a custom tune. At that time, Mr. Scott Beers was doing magic with the Diablo stuff. This particular tuner contacted Diablo and was able to losd one of Mr. Beers's tune as the "off the shelf tune." In addition, he spent 4 or 5 hours "tweaking" my "custom" tune on the dyno. I believe he felt challenged because the gains between the SCT tune in my PCM and the Diablo tune were negligible. I told him I had the Flash done, but I'm not sure he listened. The dyno numbers between the SCT and Diablo were scary close, within a couple tenths on both HP and torque, with nearly congruent curves. The custom tune worked out for 6 more hp and maybe 6 or 8 more ft-lbs. It was time to go to the track. I was pleasantly surprised as the car started running 14.0 EVERY time on the custom tune. The 2 off the shelf tunes always ran 14.15 to 14.25, nearly a perfect bracket car. The moral here seems to me is the 2 best off the shelf tunes are essentially equal.
Move forward again, a few more mods and about 100,000 more miles, I went back to the same guy. This time, he cost me about 10 hp and ft-lbs, decreased my fuel economy (which had increased with all the other tunes), and installed a pesky check engine light. The car struggled to run 14.3's, although still stone consistent. After a while of this foolishness, I went to a very reputable tuner. I decided that I really didn't need 3 tunes, so we flashed the PCM again. Bingo, car went back to running 14.1 all the time, despite having 200K miles on it. This tune was performed by Aric at Injected Engineering in Kennesaw GA. A class man at a class operation.
I have no personal experience with Lidio's tunes, but can say he is a stand up man. I talked with him on the phone once about a different issue (not tuning), and he gave me all the information I needed, at no cost. Quite a good thing if you ask me.
I also have no experience with Zach's tune. Despite what some people may think of him, I consider him to be one of the sharper non-professional (in the sense that he doesn't make a living at it) Mod Motor guys on this board. It seems he may have hit on something with (I think) ctravens car, as well as others. If you had a problem with his tune (or more correctly transmission schedule) perhaps you were looking for something else.
My final thoughts on these matters are: The good off the shelf tunes by the better companies (read that SCT and Diablo) are both real good. My only issue with Diablo was a lack of custom tuners out there. That's probably due to the very insignificant market for Marauder tunes. Face it guys, the tuners are making their money on Mustangs. Second, you can't beat a custom tune done by reputable tuner. I don't know what happened at my second trip to the guy in Chattanooga, but I may stop by again and talk to him a bit. The guys at Injected Engineering were awesome, as are many others out there. Third, don't expect your tuner to know what you are looking for if you don't ask questions and let him know what you want up front. Fourth, the big guys like Lidio and Scott Beers doing tunes for us are really doing us a big favor. They do tuning for a living, and quite frankly as I said before, the Marauder market just isn't there. Lastly, no matter what you think of him personally, guys like Zach have a lot to offer, and make up one of the better resources for cars like the Marauder.

sd8683
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Jeez Paul..... You're a breathe of fresh air! Anyway my custom dyno tune is a little more than a week away:D

Paul T. Casey
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Jeez Paul..... You're a breathe of fresh air! Anyway my custom dyno tune is a little more than a week away:D

Where you getting it done?

sd8683
02-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Where you getting it done?

Dez racing in Seekonk, Mass

Paul T. Casey
02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
I have never heard anything bad about Dez. Lots of my sons buds use him, most of them hang at http://newengland-motorsports.com/forums/index.php?

sd8683
02-25-2009, 05:02 PM
I have never heard anything bad about Dez. Lots of my sons buds use him, most of them hang at http://newengland-motorsports.com/forums/index.php?

Mike's car was also tuned by Dez. I'm a member of nems too, I don't go on much though

Paul T. Casey
02-25-2009, 05:09 PM
I pop over ther once in a while, say something profound, then disappear for while. Keeps them wondering.

dbc1965
03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
could i ask you guys a question who would you guys use for sct tune on a 05 marquis i had lonnie do my tune running police air box port plenum 180 tstat 273 rear true dual exhaust police w/o res b&n tranny cooler i know this is marauder form i have poor man version

rayjay
03-01-2009, 01:44 PM
could i ask you guys a question who would you guys use for sct tune on a 05 marquis i had lonnie do my tune running police air box port plenum 180 tstat 273 rear true dual exhaust police w/o res b&n tranny cooler i know this is marauder form i have poor man version

I think reinhart has tunes for your car. Check his site.

dbc1965
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
thanks rayjay

dpotter
03-02-2009, 01:34 PM
When I needed a tune I called Lidio. He asked me several questions, gave me advice for my future mods and I had the perfect tune for my car a few days later and I love it. I will of course go straight to the dyno once I get a blower. I like Lidio and his tune. I wasn't aware that he wasn't doing them anymore. Heck if I was anywhere near his shop I'd have him do the install and dyno-tune for sure.

rayjay
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
When I needed a tune I called Lidio. He asked me several questions, gave me advice for my future mods and I had the perfect tune for my car a few days later and I love it. I will of course go straight to the dyno once I get a blower. I like Lidio and his tune. I wasn't aware that he wasn't doing them anymore. Heck if I was anywhere near his shop I'd have him do the install and dyno-tune for sure.

Glad yours actually did something :rolleyes:

steve fox
03-16-2009, 05:39 PM
yes. My 04SB had a rhinehart tune when I picked it up in Virginia. I changed it 4 weeks later at Lidios shop. It drove like a different car. No comparison. The rhinehart tune was very harsh shifting. Lidio's is way better. steve

Mach1Marauder
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Not trying to piss people off here but I have tried Zack's tune and it didnt work at all for my car, the shift points were off and the TC couldnt figure out what it wanted to do...I had it Dyno tuned for a DR tune and picked up 45+hp. I think DR's tune is the best base to start from. I have never been in a Lidio car but I have heard good results from his as well. My .02
Amazing that a canned tune was beat out by a dyno tune. :D:cool4:
Real tuners datalog on the dyno and at the track and make adjustments base on the datalogs, NOT what worked on another car.;)

a_d_a_m
03-16-2009, 10:55 PM
After months of driving on my DR tune, I cannot stand how it winds out 1st gear to 3k every time. The car has flat spots on the throttle curve.

Chip's getting pulled this week.

1 Bad Merc
03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Wow....you are a genius Mach1Marauder!!!!

That statement was simply prophetic! Who would have guessed a dyno tune would out perform a standard out of the box tune? Simply amazing....

Did you really come up with that all by yourself? Are you sure you did not plagarize that ...... next thing you know you will be telling us how the government is considering raising our income taxes or maybe that bad guy Zack is on a secret mission to ruin your business and could be lurking around this very corner!

Oh no Sluggo!!!!!!! (for the old SNL fans!)

I cant wait for more words of your wisdom!

SC Cheesehead
03-17-2009, 04:20 AM
After months of driving on my DR tune, I cannot stand how it winds out 1st gear to 3k every time. The car has flat spots on the throttle curve.

I like DR's tune at the track, but the shift schedule is a little aggressive for the street.

Still have it loaded on the XCal, but am running a Zack tune now and it works well.

Would like to compare the two tunes at the track to document 1/4 performance differences.

Mach1Marauder
03-17-2009, 06:04 AM

That statement was simply prophetic! Who would have guessed a dyno tune would out perform a standard out of the box tune? Simply amazing....

Did you really come up with that all by yourself? Are you sure you did not plagarize that ...... next thing you know you will be telling us how the government is considering raising our income taxes or maybe that bad guy Zack is on a secret mission to ruin your business and could be lurking around this very corner!

Are you 12 years old?

MM03MOK
03-17-2009, 06:31 AM

Would you chill out, please?? :pill:

If this thread veers off track any more, it will be closed. Wisecracks do nothing to add to the conversation other than to cause irritation.

1 Bad Merc
03-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Message was edited.

Darrin
03-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Bill,

You need to back it down a few notches. Lets not cause any more trouble please.

Thanks much!
Darrin

Mach1Marauder
03-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Bill,

You need to back it down a few notches. Lets not cause any more trouble please.

Thanks much!
Darrin

I said nothing wrong. It was others that brought it to the "stupid level".

Darrin
03-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I know, but I am just asking you as a friend. There has been well enough trouble over all of this.

Call me will ya?

Darrin

Mach1Marauder
03-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I know, but I am just asking you as a friend. There has been well enough trouble over all of this.

Call me will ya?

Darrin
It's all good!
What do you want me to call ya? "Most Supreme Transmission God" is not good enough for ya anymore?:banana2:

I'll give ya buzz here in a bit.

gmtech
03-17-2009, 11:21 AM

Buy my Xcal2 with Lidio's tune, its in the classifieds:D

james1986fox
03-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Buy my Xcal2 with Lidio's tune, its in the classifieds:D

how much you asking for the xcal2, is it unlocked?

1 Bad Merc
03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I brought it to the "STUPID LEVEL"?

Mr. Bill-maybe you should take some advice and learn to STFU!!!!!!!!

Go crawl back under the rock at Modular Ford where you slithered out of!

Sorry Mary....this jagbag does not know when to stop!

MM03MOK
03-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't need what goes on elsewhere infiltrating here. This thread is now closed because after 96 posts, nothing more is being accomplished. If any are thinking about instigating trouble, think again.

DTRMiguel
03-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Reinhart will more than likely erase your xcal if you send it to him. I would like to have Zacl,Lidio,Reinhart tunes all on 1 Xcal and head to a dyno!