PDA

View Full Version : Please !! Need help in St. Louis Area - Marauder making bad sounds

ap2003
01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I am here in St. Louis at a hockey tournament.
I was driving on i-70 back to the hotel... about 65 MPH... and the Marauder started making a bad sound... I initially thought it was a belt in the tire.

I limped it back to the hotel about 2 miles.

The engine is missing... and there seems to be a mechanical rattle coming from the drivers side of the engine. (Maybe a valve??):( The engine oil level is fine.. so I do not think it is a head gasket.

Any way.. is there any advice that anyone could give on a good mechanic in the area... I would like to get an opinion on the damage.. and options to fix.. or limp back to Chicago.

I know this is MLK weekend (hence the hockey tourny). .. but any help that you could give would be appreciated.

If you could give me a call, that would be great. 630-272-2814

Thanks in Advance
Gus

GetMeMyStogie
01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Maybe you blew a spark plug out of the head, described in this thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42334&highlight=spark+plug+thread)? The mechanical rattle doesn't sound good, especially if it's related to engine RPM.

Checking for this problem is pretty easy - remove the two bolts holding each COP cover in place (I think it's 7mm or 8mm), and pull out each coil. Shine a flashlight down onto the spark plug, and use something to poke it a bit (like a stick or a long screwdriver), but be careful not to apply any force between the plug and the head - you don't want to wedge anything in there and break the plug. Check to ensure each spark plug is secure, and doesn't seem loose. Replace the coil and check the next plug.

ap2003
01-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Thank-you for the response.:)
This is a good thread reference.

I was starting (hoping) that it may be a plug.

As I am away from home, I am a little bit "tool-limited". I do hope that I can get a mechanic to look at this specific issue today... such that I and my son can drive home today. (We live near Chicago):alone:

BR Gus

BODYMAN
01-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Br I wish I had read this thread lat night I would have come down and help3ed you well Iam at work now. There is a good speed shop in OFallon mo bier brothers, there is also Sunset ford they are a SVT Dealar in south St Louis. I have a small shop which does work I cant handle doing myself if you are still looking for a shop is stl you can call me on my cell 314-565-3576 and I can call and see if my buddy can fit you in. Again I wish I say this last night I would drove the 40 minutes with tools to help you

Todd:

ap2003
01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Here is the verdict...
Popped plug... No threads left.... drivers side...

Two choices...
a) Heli-coil... get's me back to Chicago... relatively... lo cost... on Tuesday.
b) New head.... Big bucks!! takes a few days...

I think I want to get back to Chicago so I going to go with "a" for now. And then think of what to do next... I do not have any experience with long term heli-coil usage. I guess I am a little worried about it. My guess is that there will be a good fix coming!

Thanks to John, Todd, Dale, and Kevin for all of their help in the local area!
Thank-you all respondents with suggestions!

hidperf
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
If the Heli-Coil is done correct, it will last forever.

BODYMAN
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
If the Heli-Coil is done correct, it will last forever.

well kinda sorta, are motors run high compression done it on other vehicles and has lasted along time I would be concerned again with the compression are motors run,
Off the subject HIDPERF were in STL are you???

justbob
01-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Hope your trip back home goes well. Where at in chicago do you live Gus?

hidperf
01-20-2009, 10:38 AM
well kinda sorta, are motors run high compression done it on other vehicles and has lasted along time I would be concerned again with the compression are motors run,
Off the subject HIDPERF were in STL are you???

I live in Affton/SoCo area.

ap2003
01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I am back home.... What a trip... I do not know where to start...

Maybe, starting with the most important! Thank-you to everyone who posted and helped...

Also specifically, special Thanks for the local St. Louis Area help. I was really feeling a bit helpless until you contacted me.

* A HUGE thank you to John and his wife... I was still able to get my Marauder fix along with a Trilogy experience.
Man, I got to get one of those. :) Both John and his wife are WONDERFUL people. And his Marauder is SOLID!.

* A HUGE Thank-you to Todd. I know that you were a big help in getting that car done quickly.

* A HUGE Thank-You to Dale... at Pundmann Ford... The fix worked great... and I was on the highway by 1PM. The whole experience with the team at the dealer was indeed excellent!!

* A HUGE Thank-You to Kevin at Plaza Tier for the initial look see!

I know Dale and Kevin are not on this list. I will be contact them directly offline.

Here is the executive summary...

I was driving East on I-70 at about 65 mph.... and I hear pop-pop-pop-pop that was variable with speed. Loss of power is evident. :(

I drive about 3 miles to the hotel. I listen to the engine and here a "marble in a coke bottle sound at idle.

I drive (yes, I know... maybe a mistake) the car 1.5 miles to Plaza... they confirmed... The plug definitely stripped out of the hole taking all the threads. It was the Cylinder 7.

The car is towed under 1 mile to Pundmann....

They suggest the helicoil... a miracle occurs (Todd) and I get in the queue to get fixed on Tuesday.

After repair, the cylinder started out about 18% low in compression... but slowly got better... To this end, an "air induction decarbonization" was performed that also helped further. Compression is back where it should be.

The service tech took the car for a test drive... and all was going well... until it over heated. The thought was that the thermostat coincidentally went bad. At 72k miles on the clock and the orginal thermostat.. and the recent -14 degree days in Chicago could have something to do with this. Result... new thermostat and added anti-freeze.

Just a note, the team at Pundmann kept me in the loop at every step... This was very helpful for that have some level of OCD. :)

The service dept. call me and I pick up the car. The engine is running as smooth as silk and the engine compartment is as clean (maybe cleaner) than how it was when they started.:coolman:

I basically drove the speed limit all the way back to home. I want to be careful with the last "Cylinder 7" modification. There were no Cylinder 7 issues...

When I stopped for gas... I look down at the driver side rear tire... and it was probably only 25% of where it should have been. :eek: Sigh... I fill the tire up with air... and as luck would have it.. there was a tire shope about 100 yards down the street. The tire is pretty beat up internally... but they were able to patch up the puncture enough to get me home. However, I will be buying new rear tires in the next 24 hours.

In any case, I am home now...

Cost
* "Cylinder 7 Mod"
* Two new tires
* Extra day of hotel bills

BUT...
* My son's hockey team did win the Championship game... he got one of the shoot out goals and he made it home safe and on time for school
* I met GREAT St. Louis area Marauder owners.
* Receiving help from people I did not know in a city away from home.
PRICELESS!!... And if I had to do it over again I would.
:banana:

Best Regards,
Gus

ap2003
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
I actually live in Naperville

justbob
01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm in Winfield, 5 min. north.