PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Plates

WPG_Merc
01-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi

I am planning to mod my 4R70W Trans this spring with a custom built 3500 stall locally.And I wanted to know what kind of clutch plate's or rebuild kit that's available & would be good to use at a good price ,As the MM will see some racing but mostly street & highway use.Also how does the J mod compare to the full shift kit.

Instead of using a trans cooler I'll run the 4R70W on Royal Purple trans oil as the 4.6 & rear gears have already.

Thanks
Gord

:burnout:

Krytin
01-20-2009, 08:17 AM
http://www.bc-automotive.com/

He's a vendor on this site.

Darrin
01-20-2009, 08:41 AM
This one is so hard for me to answer that you just don't know...

Be careful on torque converters. You don't know how many guys that I have helped bail out after they got their local "guru" build them a torque converter that absolutely destroyed their transmission. A few also had severe engine problems from the inadequate converters ballooning and pushing all clearance closed between the transmission and crankshaft. When that happens you rebuild BOTH the engine and transmission.

On rebuild 'kits', there isn't one that will suffice. For all the work I do I order individual pieces depending on the application and needs of the customer. I used to offer a custom kit and that just didn't go well for the people I sold them to. There are just so darn few places out there than can build a quality transmission that I ended up catching the blame when they couldn't put together what I KNOW works.

And Royal Purple...

You won't catch that in anything I own or build. The clutches in these transmissions are particular and need the fluid they need. That isn't it.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I just don't know what else to tell you. It isn't often that I have to reply to a message where every single point of question has been presented along with ideas that are not in the best interest of anyone wanting to do this.

If it were me...

I would get a transmission and torque converter package built by a proven profesional that is tailored to your needs, use Mercon V or a full synthetic version (other than RP) and get the transmission cooler that is needed for the application. You WILL come out money ahead and have a package that will do what you want it to.

Darrin

Krytin
01-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Darrin can ship you what you need.
If I were rebuilding mine I'd send it to him.
Unfortunately when mine goes I'm swapping in a T56 6 speed stick.

Blackened300a
01-20-2009, 12:00 PM
when mine goes I'm swapping in a T56 6 speed stick.

I bet that swap is easier then doing cam covers!!

Krytin
01-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I bet it will be!
I have the wife convinced that I need to get an Aluminator Long Block and a T56 next year to re-power the daily driver instead of buying on new car.
Yep - she's a Keeper!

Darrin
01-20-2009, 12:51 PM
It's so tough to answer questions that were asked the way these were asked. I know the OP was just wanting good guidance though. Unfortunately the best guidance I can give in a situation like that isn't what he is likely wanting to hear and not easy to pass on without sounding like a jerk.

How do you tell a guy that everything he has planned is likely not the best idea?

Also, don't think I am slamming on Royal Purple. I am sure they have some great products. What I am saying is that I almost every one of this model transmission I have seen come through the door that used it had very similar failures involving the same clutches. Not ordinary, run of the mill stuff I see all the time either. I have gotten to where I can tell that it was used in them when I see them. For whatever reason the clutch material and that fluid seem to not like each other.

Sorry, I am just not happy with how I had to answer the questions that were asked here and I am sure not trying to piss anyone off. It just is what it is.

Darrin

Krytin
01-20-2009, 02:29 PM
You answered it straight up.
I agree about the fluid - without the correct friction modifier that is in the Mercon Type V these transmissions don't shift right/smoothly and I guess would have premature clutch failures - I never waited long enough to find out.

Blackened300a
01-20-2009, 03:23 PM
How do you tell a guy that everything he has planned is likely not the best idea?

Very simple, You have years of experience and knowledge in the field. You were to the point and gave advice based on what you have seen and worked on. If he decides to do his own thing then so be it.
He asked the questions and you gave him the honest answer. Nothing more.

WPG_Merc
01-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Darrin

Thanks for the info & advice.
I'm still doing some research on the 4R70W Trans & I'll let you know what develops.

Gord
:burn:

Marauderjack
01-21-2009, 05:58 AM
Gord.....

Listen to Darrin.....HE KNOWS what he speaks of!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

ctrlraven
01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Darrin what are your thoughts on Castrol Mercon V ATF? I've been using it when I drain my trans oil every other 2nd or 3rd oil change for about 40-45k miles now. Trans has 116-117k miles on it.

That reminds me I need an oil/atf change sometime this week.