PDA

View Full Version : Installing Door Sills

vkirkend
01-25-2009, 10:03 AM
I want to install the door sills but in the northeast I'm afraid to install in this cold weather incase they won't stick. Should I wait for warmer weather or put them on now?:confused:

Bradley G
01-25-2009, 10:18 AM
You should be ok to install now, clean surface well.
Good luck!

fastblackmerc
01-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Take them off and bring them in the house to warm up for a day. Use plenty of Dawn dish soap and a soft bristle brush to clean them, Dawn will get rid of all the grease, oil, etc. Dry them off. I used some rubbing alcohol and wiped them down to make sure everything is really really clean. I used 3M molding tape to stick mine on.

Hotrauder
01-25-2009, 12:37 PM
What Jim said...by take them off he means the OEM plastic ones now on the car, they will pull right off; so that both original and new pieces are warm. Dennis

scruff
01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
i like it when its warm and sticky lol

TAKEDOWN
01-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I got mine, I'm also attempting to put some type of protective gloss, I'll be waiting for warmer weather and to also prevent any of this years salt on it.

DEFYANT
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I'd wait for warmer weather. Or remove the parts, bring them inside, let them warm up, then apply the sill covers. Wait until the sill covers are stuck on good, then go put the parts back on the car.

FreddieH
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I put mine on about 2 weeks ago while the car was in the garage about 43 degrees. I used alcohol to wipe the plastic off and some pressure and mine stick fine.

1stMerc
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Remove existing sills and take both in the house to warm up. Clean existing sill with denatured alcohol or Ronsol lighter fluid.

Joe Walsh
01-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Take them off and bring them in the house to warm up for a day. Use plenty of Dawn dish soap and a soft bristle brush to clean them, Dawn will get rid of all the grease, oil, etc. Dry them off. I used some rubbing alcohol and wiped them down to make sure everything is really really clean. I used 3M molding tape to stick mine on.

Did you remove the original stick tape (looks like insufficient coverage across the back of the aluminum sills) that was attached to the sills?
If so, did you put on wider & longer pieces of the 3M tape?
I've never installed mine because I read stories of them coming "un-stuck" and falling off in parking lots.

:eek:

fastblackmerc
01-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Did you remove the original stick tape (looks like insufficient coverage across the back of the aluminum sills) that was attached to the sills?
If so, did you put on wider & longer pieces of the 3M tape?
I've never installed mine because I read stories of them coming "un-stuck" and falling off in parking lots.

:eek:

I got mine 2nd hand. Yes, I did have to remove the original tape. Goof Off works wonders. I use 3M molding tape and completely covered the back of the sills. If you do that AND follow my instructions to clean the factory sills you shouldn't have a problem.

sweetair
01-25-2009, 08:07 PM
These are so on my list of things to get.

vkirkend
01-26-2009, 06:54 AM
So how are they attached to the car? is it double sided tape, or sometype of clip that you can disengage???

fastblackmerc
01-26-2009, 07:24 AM
So how are they attached to the car? is it double sided tape, or sometype of clip that you can disengage???

See post #3.

I don't know how they come originally, but I used 3M molding tape to completely cover the mounting side.

vkirkend
01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
What Jim said...by take them off he means the OEM plastic ones now on the car, they will pull right off; so that both original and new pieces are warm. Dennis

I gave them a good pull and they didn't budge. I was afraid to pull too severely as I don't want to break them. Are people prying them up with a pry bar or pulling them loose by hand. And from what end/angle?:confused::help:

MarauderMark
01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Make sure claen and some presure:up:

Dre
02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
:confused: Pictures anyone?

fastblackmerc
02-03-2009, 07:34 PM
:confused: Pictures anyone?

You really need to learn how to use the search function.

Here are mine installed.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48797&highlight=door+sills

1stMerc
02-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I got mine 2nd hand. Yes, I did have to remove the original tape. Goof Off works wonders. I use 3M molding tape and completely covered the back of the sills. If you do that AND follow my instructions to clean the factory sills you shouldn't have a problem.

If you need additional tape you can get the wider stuff at Kmart.

fastblackmerc
02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
If you need additional tape you can get the wider stuff at Kmart.

Any FLAPS will have different widths.

1stMerc
02-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Make sure claen and some presure:up:

With emphasis on clean!!!

1stMerc
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Any FLAPS will have different widths.

Autozone and Advanced don't. Kmart's is wider and thinner so you get a more flush appearance. and it's not the foam stuff.

fastblackmerc
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Right, if you think it's clean, clean it one more time.

03Farmmarauder
02-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I would clean with a WAX and GREASE remover

fastblackmerc
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM

Right, if you think it's clean, clean it one more time.

fastblackmerc
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I would clean with a WAX and GREASE remover

Use Dawn dish detergent. It will take off grease, oil, silicone, grime, Armour All etc.

vkirkend
02-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Well this weekend the weather warmed up and I got to install the door sills and pedals. I cleaned the sills with mean green, then acetone and went to install. The coating on the back still would not stick!!!!:mad2::bigcry: I then got the equivalent of a blow dryer (monocoat heat gun) out and used it to heat up the sills. That did the trick!!!:banana::bows::D I now have pedals and the sills installed. Oh, I now also have a 1/16th hole in my 2nd finger courtesy of the drill I was using to make the holes for the screws for the accelerator. :stupid: But no pain no BLING!!!!!:lol: Just call me Mini DOOM:pimp::pimp:.....

scruff
02-12-2009, 02:50 PM
i installed my sills yesterday and they do look awsome Now all i have left to do is install the pedals

vkirkend
02-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I got the grid type and with sneakers on they really grip the sneaker.

MarauderMark
02-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I got the grid type and with sneakers on they really grip the sneaker.

they last 3yrs and the car wasn't driven most of the time , i to place my odrer.