PDA

View Full Version : Noob: What's it take to be a consistant 13.5??

Merc4Hire
01-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Assuming I'm a decent driver, what mods would put me at a consistant 13.5 second 1/4 mile on street tires?

My plans are headers, high flow catted h-pipe, reinhart SCT tune, 4:10's,

maybe underdrive pulleys...though people seem to say bad things now and then, something with the harmonic balancer & oil pump?

What are the bare essentials to put me there?:help:

Merc4Hire
01-28-2009, 07:35 AM
...anybody?

Pops
01-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Headers good tune underdrive pulleys 410 gears and a host of other things. Look for the 12 second NA thread that is going on. It will give you a lot of insight. 13.5 is not easy to do!:)

SC Cheesehead
01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Headers good tune underdrive pulleys 410 gears and a host of other things. Look for the 12 second NA thread that is going on. It will give you a lot of insight. 13.5 is not easy to do!:)

+1 ^^^^^

Probably need a T/C, and something other than street radials.

John, what were you running in the GM before going PE; high 13's?

Pops
01-28-2009, 08:38 AM
13.51 was the best Rex. Yes you will need a converter. Mine is a 3200.

Vortech347
01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
No worries about the UPD's and the oil pump. The problem was in the 5-speed mach's. The harmonics were to great for the aftermarket pulley's to dampen when the engine was spun past 6800rpm. I don't really think an MM should spin past 6300-6400 so you'll be fine.

Btw, I recommend the summit racing kit. Its cheap and the ballancer has ALOT of beef/material than the steeda ones. I'm running it on my wife's car and its awesome. I have a steeda on mine.

Blackened300a
01-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Assuming I'm a decent driver, what mods would put me at a consistant 13.5 second 1/4 mile on street tires?

Some $$ and some luck. Pretty much every bolt-on including, pulley's, full exhaust, intake, gears, intake spacer, a convertor, then have a really good tune.

Check out my garage link in my sig. That is what it took to run 13.7's consistant and have a single 13.6 run. Keep in mind this was all done with full interior, street tires and a pump gas tune with temps in the 40's.

I dont have a full exhaust or a race gas tune but thats hopefully in the near future. Then with a aggresive race gas tune and some luck, I hope to put my N/A Marauder into the 12's.

O's Fan Rich
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
...anybody?

http://www.trilogymotorsportsstore.co m/category.aspx?categoryID=1

Merc4Hire
01-30-2009, 11:04 PM
http://www.trilogymotorsportsstore.co m/category.aspx?categoryID=1

Yea...I was looking for something under $7500. Between parts and tuning S/C is just WAAAAY too expensive for my liking. The blower for my stang was half the price new and put out 2x the results. All the prices for S/C kits for these newer cars are so far out of hand it's RIDICULOUS...not worth the $$ in my opinion.

I mean it gets big results yea, but costs almost as much as the car itself...I don't care how you slice it, that's OVERPRICED.:shake:

ctrlraven
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Some $$ and some luck. Pretty much every bolt-on including, pulley's, full exhaust, intake, gears, intake spacer, a convertor, then have a really good tune.

Check out my garage link in my sig. That is what it took to run 13.7's consistant and have a single 13.6 run. Keep in mind this was all done with full interior, street tires and a pump gas tune with temps in the 40's.

I dont have a full exhaust or a race gas tune but thats hopefully in the near future. Then with a aggresive race gas tune and some luck, I hope to put my N/A Marauder into the 12's.

I'll be passing your 13.6 come March 1st, once that happens ball will be in your court to one up me again! :lol:

It really all depends honestly on how much work you can do, how good of a tune you have and the right combo of parts.
Here is my setup with cost:

Engine/Performance:
JLT intake Ram Air Intake [$75 used)
Granatelli Motorsports Ignition Coil Connectors [I don't remember what Wes charged for them....$200?]
NGK TR60IX Iridium Plugs (1 Stage Colder) [$54]
Ford GT Fuel Pump [$74]
Motorcraft 39lb Fuel Injectors [$50]
180 Degree T-Stat [$12]
PHP Intake Spacer [$120]
SCT SF Device with custom Zack Tune [$380]
Precision Industries 3500 Stall 9.5" Torque Converter [$700 for the TC and $406 for install]
2nd Set Of Catalytic Converters Removed [Free]
Flowmaster Super 40's Series Mufflers [Free]
3.5" Meg's Res-Delete Tips [$130]
Metco Driveshaft Safety Loop [$25]

Wheels:
BFgoodrich Drag Radial 255/50-16 (Drag Only) [$200 for the 16" cvpi rims and tires]
Stock 3.55 Rear Gears

Exterior:
ProGuard Rear Air Dam [Used for $40]
Class Glass Fiberglass Cowl Induction Hood [Free, traded parts]

Total $2,466

I know everyone can get parts that cost less or even more or don't turn their own wrench but I think I've done quite well making a budget racer.

Blackened300a
01-31-2009, 05:33 AM
I'll be passing your 13.6 come March 1st, once that happens ball will be in your court to one up me again! :lol:.

And I shall see your 13.6 and raise you a 10th! The next trip I take to the track will have a improved tune and the smaller tire's on the rear. Exhaust may not be around until fall.

And so it begins!

Taemian
01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Yea...I was looking for something under $7500. Between parts and tuning S/C is just WAAAAY too expensive for my liking. The blower for my stang was half the price new and put out 2x the results. All the prices for S/C kits for these newer cars are so far out of hand it's RIDICULOUS...not worth the $$ in my opinion.

I mean it gets big results yea, but costs almost as much as the car itself...I don't care how you slice it, that's OVERPRICED.:shake:

You're not looking at the big picture. The exhaust mods alone are big $$ for little return. SW headers + high flow cats + retune + install labour = $2000. That is 1/3 of the Trilogy cost, and not 1/3 the gain! (Which sells for lower than you mention, and you can also get on the list for a refurbished one)

All the mods you mention will give you a BEST time of 13.5, where a Tril will get you 13.5s all day long with BEST times around 13, or dipping into the high 12s.

O's Fan Rich
01-31-2009, 12:07 PM

Guess I just like to waste my money.

Good luck to you , wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Vortech347
02-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Slap some nitrous on it!!

Paul T. Casey
02-02-2009, 06:34 AM
I know everyone can get parts that cost less or even more or don't turn their own wrench but I think I've done quite well making a budget racer.

I agree with this statement.