PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm '09

Embassy
01-28-2009, 05:11 AM
I've got power, thankfullly.

Large tree branches all around the house can be heard slamming to the ground. One tree's branches are leaning on the house.

Street and yard looks like a sheet of ice.

How is everyone doing in this messy, frozen weather?

Bluerauder
01-28-2009, 05:17 AM
[COLOR=blue]How is everyone doing in this messy, frozen weather?
Snow yesterday followed by sleet and freezing rain last night. My driveway and front street are a skating rink. No power loss though.

ImpalaSlayer
01-28-2009, 05:46 AM
i wish we got more snow herer!

MM2004
01-28-2009, 06:19 AM
Working remote today.

Flashes of transformers blowing could be seen across the sky at 0 dark-thirty this morning.

Trees falling around me.

75,000 estimated without power. (fingers crossed)

Freezing rain changing to snow.

Tree next to the MM is touching the ground. (fingers and toes crossed)

:(

Mike.

MM2004
01-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Here's a few taken minutes ago...

Embassy
01-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Mike, hope your Marauder is safe.

Heard from Josh or Drew? Both have their Mercs outdoors.

I too am unfortunatley working from home.

Power is flickering on and off here.

Just walked the neighborhood. Trees are down and are coming down left and right. The sound of cracking and crashing branches is heard every other minute.

Cars are in a thick cocoon of ice.

Now, it's snowing hard.

Next time I venture out, I am taking my camera.

MM2004
01-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Mike, hope your Marauder is safe.

Heard from Josh or Drew? Both have their Mercs outdoors.

I too am unfortunatley working from home.

Power is flickering on and off here.

Just walked the neighborhood. Trees are down and are coming down left and right. The sound of cracking and crashing branches is heard every other minute.

Cars are in a thick cocoon of ice.

Next time I venture out, I am taking my camera.

The pics above are from my bedroom window. The limbs from that tree are touching the ground approx. 20 feet off the MM.

If that tree snaps, most likely it will fall North with a high probability of impacting the MM. :(

My MM has the cover on it with a few inches of snow on top that may soften the blow unless it hits the side??

The tree is not that large, but a tree nonetheless.

I will try getting ahold of Drew, Josh and Charlie in a few.

Mike.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
01-28-2009, 07:06 AM
I live in MD and work in VA and no problems other than a little slush. I drove the 35 mile commute yesterday and today at normal speeds. This was a storm?

Embassy
01-28-2009, 07:11 AM
My snow-covered car cover saved my '01 several times so take comfort in that.

Let me know when you hear from the other local guys.

VicsEvilBrother, it doesn't take much to bring this city to a halt. :rolleyes:

vkirkend
01-28-2009, 07:15 AM
i wish we got more snow herer!

No.....we don't......

MM2004
01-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Josh is fine even though he is without power at home.

His work is also without power.

Charlie replied to my text and is fine and at work.

Called Drew, and he was on the other line.

Just received a few power outages lasting about 2 minutes each.

Lights continue to blink off and on.

Mom lives in Middletown, and cannot get thru to her.

It has probably snowed 2 inches within the past hour.

190 motorists stranded and 900+ power lines down.

200,000 without power.

Mike.

Bigdogjim
01-28-2009, 07:48 AM
About 2" of snow in my part of NJ. Rain/sleet now:mad: Cleaned off the walks and driveway. Arms have had it with the heavy slush...............

NO power issues in my area:)

Tom Doan
01-28-2009, 07:49 AM
I had a rough walk to work this morning

Embassy
01-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the update on the others.

rayjay
01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Hope you guys in the ice storm are OK. Snow here, predicting 8-14", minor inconvience for us.

duhtroll
01-28-2009, 09:54 AM
In Iowa we call snow and ice like that "a normal Tuesday."

Good luck to all of you. I know this year I have finally grown old and have had enough of not owning a 4WD for the winter. For next fall I will remedy that.

MM2004
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Hope you guys in the ice storm are OK. Snow here, predicting 8-14", minor inconvience for us.

Right now it's a mess.

Snow is one thing. Ice is a different ball game.

Been digging out my beater and helping the neighbors with their rides.

Snow has stopped, and gonna grab the DSLR and head out.

Stay tuned...

Mike.

Embassy
01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
My place is full with extended family since I am so very fortunate to have power.

I too will snap some pics when I go on my lunch break.

Looking forward to your pics, Mike.

BTW: Is Josh at your place? I see that he's posting on LM.net.

MM2004
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
A few minutes ago...

That tree is actually about 5 feet off the MM.

Right now, you couldn't shove a needle...

Embassy
01-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Got a pair of bolt cutters, a hedge trimmer, etc. to cut that all-too-close branch?

You'll have to post that snow-covered Marauder pic again after the she's detailed in a few months for contrast.

Egon Spengler
01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Wow... those pictures look like they could have been taken a month ago in my neighborhood! Now its your turn huh? Not fun at all!! Being on the fire department, I didn't get much sleep for about 5 days!

Starman
01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Uhm, 75-80* today. :cool: I hope you all stay safe and warm. I have been there, done that.

rayjay
01-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Right now it's a mess.

Snow is one thing. Ice is a different ball game.

Mike.

Ice storms are always bad news. We've been without power for up to a week in past because of ice. Stay safe and stay out from under the trees, you can get really hurt if a heavy branch comes down.

Embassy
01-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Still here and still got power. Might dig out my driveway today since the streets are supposedly clear.

Our state has been declared a federal emergency. Over 250,000 w/out power in our city alone. Statewide, this is one of the highest total power outages ever for Kentucky.

We're in for more snow as early as Monday and Tue. I've got so much work to do to the Marauder in such a short amount of time and this snow is not helping. :rolleyes:

How's everyone doing?

Embassy
01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Talked to Drew. He and family are staying at relatives with a fireplace.

Blk Mamba
01-29-2009, 10:05 AM
...well I'm not in your area but, I drove the 12 miles to work yesterday, that took 45 min., then it snowed four more hours, by the time I left for home the roads were clear, and dry, all we got was snow, if it's ice I don't go anywhere, (everyone here thinks that four wheel drive works like superman on ice), I know better.

pantheroc
01-29-2009, 03:50 PM
We got quite a bit SE of Cleveland yesterday. I'll take the snow over ice.

http://home.windstream.net/gtkno4/CIMG5094a.JPG

a_d_a_m
01-29-2009, 04:53 PM
yeah...we got socked pretty decent out east of cleveland.
after watching it snow ALL DAY at work, then shoveling the walk there and brushing off 7 cars, i wimped out and had someone plow the driveway for me. it was way more satisfying to watch someone else do it for $20, backdrag it down to the pavement and clean up a few problem areas.

Georges93LX
01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm finally on a generator. We had 200 power poles down from the windstorm of Ike this past fall. Now we have 2500+ and still counting. Power company says it could take 4-6 weeks to get power to everyone. Marauder is hidden in a garage down the street that had no trees around it. My wifes van wasn't so lucky but I hate that thing anyway. Hope everyone is doing OK.

scruff
01-31-2009, 11:04 PM
wow you guys are really getting hammered crappy, I remember the ice storm a few years back here when it toppled hundreds of those huge steel tranmission towers in quebec had to call the army in and power was down for months in some areas. Its been cold here but not much snow lately must be all down south lol

Embassy
02-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Scruff, it has definately been crazy. Come on, spring!

I'm finally on a generator. We had 200 power poles down from the windstorm of Ike this past fall. Now we have 2500+ and still counting. Power company says it could take 4-6 weeks to get power to everyone. Marauder is hidden in a garage down the street that had no trees around it. My wifes van wasn't so lucky but I hate that thing anyway. Hope everyone is doing OK.

George. Glad to hear you and the Mrs. are safe. Sorry to hear about the van but at least the Marauder is safe, right?

Is most of G-town still in the dark? It's spotty in Louisville. All the ice is melting off the trees and wires so hopefully that'll speed up the process for repair, making it easier for the crews to work.

Bluerauder
02-01-2009, 07:34 AM
My God ... it has been a week and some 800,000 homes in Kentucky still have no power. The entire electrical grid in the state has been crippled. The entire Kentucky National Guard has been mobilized to checks on people in their houses as they try to tough out the cold and ice in their homes.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in the afflicted area.