PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars clay bar kit

Pat
02-05-2009, 09:04 AM
I've never used or seen used the oft touted clay bar to remove embedded contaminants from the cars finish. So I bought a Meguiars clay bar kit and find two little grey bars, about the size of hotel bath soap bars.

Somehow I was expecting one bar about the size of a kitchen sponge.

The instructions said to knead the bar, I assume the temps have to be above freezing right? Anyway the instructions say to rub the bar over an area covered in detail spray supplied in the kit. By rubbing does it mean like one would rub on paste wax in a circular motion or back and forth?

I don't mean to put too fine a point on this but those little bars look like they are not up to the job, what am I missing here?

Regards,

TiTo35
02-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I tried a claybar once...wasnt as easy as ppl made it seem...good luck!

SC Cheesehead
02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Pat,

Claybars do the trick. Take your time, and mare sure the area you're working on is well wetted with the detail spray.

Using a similar technique to applying paste wax should do the trick, also, make sure you continue to knead the bar as you work to keep exposing fresh surfaces.

duhtroll
02-05-2009, 09:20 AM
That sounds like a decent idea. One bigger bar increases the chance of getting some grit on the outside, or if you drop it you have to start all over. 2 smaller bars means you have a backup.

I do my MM every year. The first time I did it was by far the most beneficial. I did the crown vic when I got it and pulled a big layer or grime off the white paint. What I thought was white was actually grey until I got done with the clay bar.

I think the CB is more important than what wax you choose. Just my $0.02. It's worth the effort.

I've never used or seen used the oft touted clay bar to remove embedded contaminants from the cars finish. So I bought a Meguiars clay bar kit and find two little grey bars, about the size of hotel bath soap bars.

The instructions said to knead the bar, I assume the temps have to be above freezing right? Anyway the instructions say to rub the bar over an area covered in detail spray supplied in the kit. By rubbing does it mean like one would rub on paste wax in a circular motion or back and forth?

I don't mean to put too fine a point on this but those little bars look like they are not up to the job, what am I missing here?

Regards,

Embassy
02-05-2009, 09:21 AM

Don't "rub" the bar or apply any pressure. Just glide it over the surface, slick with detail spray. Keeping the surface wet is crucial.

You can substitute detail spray for a quality car wash mixed with water in a spray bottle.

As you use the clay bar, inspect it for debris it picks up. Pick it out as best as you can and knead and turn the bar so "fresh" or clean parts of it are used.

After this. Follow up with a swirl/haze remover is needed. Then apply your sealants, polishes and/or waxes.

Hope this helps.

fastblackmerc
02-05-2009, 09:30 AM
First wash your car with Dawn dish detergent. It will get all the grease and oil off the surfaces. It will also take all the wax off (that is why you always use a soap made for auto finishes), but if you claybar will take the wax off also.

As mentioned, if you drop it throw it out.

Use the included detail spray or any other detail spray to keep the area you are working on wet. Some soaps will actually start to break down the clay so I don't use anything but a detailing spray.

Don't use alot of pressure.

Try this, get a plastic sandwich bag, put your finger in it and rub lightly on the paint, you'll feel all the contaminants. Try the same thing after you claybar. It should feel smooth.

After your done claybaring, wash the car again, let it dry and continue with polishing, waxing, etc.

Pat
02-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys, I'm getting a clearer picture. The wife showed me how to "knead" the bar, like dough.

fastblackmerc
02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys, I'm getting a clearer picture. The wife showed me how to "knead" the bar, like dough.

You got it.

I thought the Meguires & Mothers had good instructions.

offroadking208
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Lol, like Mighty Putty!! Hahaha. Sry guys, i have a link to the mighty putty dub on youtube, but i dont think it's "appropriate" for this site. PM me if you want to see it.

Bluerauder
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM

Regards,
I use Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. :up:

Pat, I do very small sections of the car at a time (generally only about 1.0 to 1.5 square feet). I would suggest not larger than about 16" x 16". You must keep the area well lubricated with the detail spray or else the clay will stick to the surface. If you are doing it right, the clay will glide easily on the liquid film. I tend to use the detail spray "generously".

After each section, you will notice that the clay bar will be discolored after picking up grit and impurities (some you will not have even seen on the surface of your car). I knead the bar and pull it apart into little bits and knead it back into a single lump again.

Each of those small "bath bars" are good enough for one detailing/claying. Discard the used bar and start with a fresh bar next time.

I can do the entire car in about 1.5 hours taking my time to do each section properly. The surface will feel slick & smooth as a babies azz when you are done. Then you can do the waxing and buffing, etc.

Yes, warmer weather will aid with the kneading process. This is really a spring or fall job -- or a good shaded spot in the summer.

duhtroll
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Each time I "knead" the bar it is simply stretching it out and folding the "dark" side inward. Do that every time and you will always have a fresh surface.

Also, 1.5 hours? It takes me 20 minutes...

I only do the outer, flat surfaces though - hood, doors, roof, trunk, pillars. The first time it took me longer but ever since then it goes quickly.

Oh, and don't forget the tires! Er, wheels. That's it...

03Farmmarauder
02-05-2009, 01:19 PM
It was first used to take overspray off in body shops, thats how it got its name of overspray clay. I use a clay bar everytime I detail a car.

chapel1
02-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Pat check out Mother's Web Site they have videos showing proper applications of all types of car detailing.

Blackened300a
02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Clay bar's rule!! I use it often and make sure you use a back and forth motion in small sections. This prevent's swirls and make's sure you dont miss a area.
The trick is keeping it very wet!! The more spray the better and little pressure. This is a job best done in the Spring/Fall. The winter makes the clay like a brick.

ImpalaSlayer
02-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Lol, like Mighty Putty!! Hahaha. Sry guys, i have a link to the mighty putty dub on youtube, but i dont think it's "appropriate" for this site. PM me if you want to see it.

i found that the other day and was dying! :laugh:

Bluerauder
02-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Each time I "knead" the bar it is simply stretching it out and folding the "dark" side inward. Do that every time and you will always have a fresh surface.

Also, 1.5 hours? It takes me 20 minutes......
Yes, it does go quicker each time depending on frequency ... but I am not down to 20 minutes yet. Still takes me between 45-60 minutes to do it right. I think you are cheating. ;)

duhtroll
02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
I told ya. I skip the tires.

Yes, it does go quicker each time depending on frequency ... but I am not down to 20 minutes yet. Still takes me between 45-60 minutes to do it right. I think you are cheating. ;)

Vortech347
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
It takes a while to do these cars. Detailing the MM takes twice what it does to do my stang for a frickin car show.

Black_Noise
02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I used the same kit, it sucks.

I couldnt get this crap off of my hood, I used that claybar kit, wouldnt touch it.

I tryed buff lite 2 made by malco, it didnt take 1 minute to take it off. I used it on the whole car, now it shines!

Georges93LX
02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
I can vouch that if you don't follow the instructions you WILL screw up your paint. I did the guy thing and threw the instructions in the trash and my Crown Vic is suffering for it.

CKMustangCobra
02-06-2009, 06:34 AM
http://www.autopia.org/publish/categories/Auto-Detailing-and-Car-Care/Guide-To-Detailing/

I love this guys write ups. I read them a lot and my Marauder always looks 100%.

Embassy
02-06-2009, 06:52 AM
http://www.autopia.org/publish/categories/Auto-Detailing-and-Car-Care/Guide-To-Detailing/

I love this guys write ups. I read them a lot and my Marauder always looks 100%.

You beat me to posting that link. I direct people to their helpful how-to guides frequently.

They have an excellent guide to engine-washing.

SC Cheesehead
02-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Hey, thanks for the link, guys; good stuff!

stryker
02-06-2009, 10:51 AM
:shake: !NO no no!, that's too much effort to me and I don't have the time to do that, look !ATTENTION MARAUDERERS! I have a clay bar kit from Meguiars complete never used I sold it any interested I sold it

fastblackmerc
02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
:shake: !NO no no!, that's too much effort to me and I don't have the time to do that, look !ATTENTION MARAUDERERS! I have a clay bar kit from Meguiars complete never used I sold it any interested I sold it

OK, you sold it..... you only have to tell us 1 time.

sd8683
02-06-2009, 12:09 PM
This how to video is pretty good...... Fast forward to 1:40..... The first part of the vid is them advertising their product.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZRj509Ir8

gdmjoe
02-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Alternate product that I use and recommend ..... *Definitely get a HUNK of clay!

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/GriotsGarage/11153_FAM?$detail$

Griot's GARAGE (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+polishing/paint+cleaning+clay/paint+cleaning+clay.do?search= basic&keyword=clay&sortby=newArrivals&page=1) <<<<< -click-