PDA

View Full Version : Photo Challenge Guidelines

Rocknthehawk
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
:)This contest is open to anyone with a camera. A thread will be opened and we will let you know what the subject of the contest is.

:)The Snapshots Challenge will have a bi-weekly schedule.

:)A week after the contest begins, a new thread will be posted and you can post your entry in there. If your not going to be around, let someone know so they can post it for you. The submission thread will stay open for one week and voting will take place the following week. Winner picks the next contest theme.

:)Wait, so how do we know who's turn it is to post the theme?

At any given moment, there's 2 snapshots challenges going on. There's one that is in the photographic/voting period, and there's also a new theme chosen.

The winner the previous contest is the person who choses the theme for the next challenge.

It's more confusing in text than in reality, so an example:

Contest 9 is underway. The voting thread has been established. At this time, we also create the theme for the next contest, contest 10. In order to figure out who should create the topic, we look NOT at challenge 9 (it's still in the process of being voted on after all), but rather snapshots 8.

snapshots 8 (chosen by winner of snapshots 6)
snapshots 9 (chosen by winner of snapshots 7)
snapshots 10 (chosen by winner of snapshots 8)
snapshots 11 (chosen by winner of snapshots 9) .. and so forth.

Contest Entries
:)No bigger than 800px (width or height) and try to keep the file size to 200KB or smaller.

Your entry must originate from a single capture, no panoramic images or multiple captures combined together*.

No heavily processed/photoshopped entries, this is a "snapshot" contest after all. You can crop, rotate, or resize the image. You may add a border. No "effects" filters please!

:)so, what photoshopping is allowed?

Adjustment of Levels, Curves, or Contrast.
Color Balance, and/or Whitebalance.
Desaturation, or selected desaturation.
Filter: unsharp mask (mimics a darkroom technique which helps sharpen the image)

:)so, what photoshopping not allowed?

destructive filters, blurs.
Basically, once you start using photoshop to create your composition, rather than a photograph. Distorting of colors, rather than more realistically setting them would be an example of this.

These are some basic guidelines, I think. If anyone has any thoughts/comments/questions, it can be posted here. Any new rules/changes should be made here.

Rocknthehawk
02-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Also, contest 1 is a bit wonky. I think we should allow entries for one week, start the poll, and open up the topic for contest 2....basically cutting it short to get the ball rolling.

Blackened300a
02-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Also, contest 1 is a bit wonky. I think we should allow entries for one week, start the poll, and open up the topic for contest 2....basically cutting it short to get the ball rolling.

At least make it til Sunday. I can't get my entry in until Saturday.

xopher
02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
slight bump in the road...

the poll only allows 10 options...there's 17 entries?

Mods, can a larger poll be created?
If the number of entries in the poll cannot be changed, then you could have more than one round per poll. In this case, you could randomly group the entries into a group of 8 and a group of 9 and enter each group in a poll, putting the top 5 of each into a final poll of 10.

If there were 25 entries, the first round could be three polls of (grouped by random) 9 entries, 8 entries, and 8 entries, selecting 4 winners, 3 winners, and 3 winners, respectively, and entering those 10 into a final round.

Just my $0.02.

hot-rauder
02-16-2009, 12:31 PM
If the number of entries in the poll cannot be changed, then you could have more than one round per poll. In this case, you could randomly group the entries into a group of 8 and a group of 9 and enter each group in a poll, putting the top 5 of each into a final poll of 10.

If there were 25 entries, the first round could be three polls of (grouped by random) 9 entries, 8 entries, and 8 entries, selecting 4 winners, 3 winners, and 3 winners, respectively, and entering those 10 into a final round.

Just my $0.02.

For Contest 1, i will have to start 2 polls for now.:(

Hopefully the mods can help combine them. There will be links to each poll in eeach thread, so you can see all the images. Whomever has the most votes obviously wins. Just be sure to see ALL the entreis first!!

The only problem with that idea xopher, is that the voting would either be too short for each "group" vote, opr it would take too long to narrow it down.

Thanks though!