PDA

View Full Version : Detailing

xopher
02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Another subforum which many users, especially new users and passers-through, would use is a resourceful subforum centered on detailing and cosmetic car maintanence. Some knowledgeable forum members could volunteer to seed the subforum with a few threads on washing, waxing, clay bars, wheel cleaning, leather care, upholstery, etc. The forum could also include small product reviews of care care items and advice and techniques on how to use some products.

I know that there is information on the forums, but it is never obvious where to look as it is scattered throughout other subforums and archived in the search feature. These detailing discussions could be tucked into the Resource Room, or alternately, they could have their own subforum in The Garage, both up front for use by new and veteran members alike.

What do you think?

bigmerc2003
02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
That would be a great forum to start ASAP as we are entering the spring detail fever season! I am always interested in what products others use and how they feel about them. I would rather hear someone said XYZ wax is terrible BEFORE I spend $20 on it. Good suggestion :up:

freakstatus
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
+1.....I usually go over to MCM to get detailing tips from a vendor there. Be nice to have the info here.

bigmerc2003
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah, Jason does fantastic work!!! Some of the before and after pics are amazing and some of the reflection shots make your jaw drop! But for the poor peeps like me i have to wash and wax my cars myself

PantherP71
02-17-2009, 12:48 PM
This sounds like a good idea.

bigmerc2003
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Meguiars everything! Car wash, wheel cleaner, wax, quick polish, leather seat wipes the works. That is all I use and it is very user friendly, easy on easy off!

freakstatus
02-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Meguiars everything! Car wash, wheel cleaner, wax, quick polish, leather seat wipes the works. That is all I use and it is very user friendly, easy on easy off!

Haha...Wax on...wax off. Check out my pic in the Photo Challenge #2 thread.....Meguiars Gold Class wax in effect. Although for polymer detailers I prefer the Turtle Wax Ice product.

bigmerc2003
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
My mom loves the Ice line! I used to get some awsome reflections but i think I have too much wax and need to strip it off and start over (I wax like 3-4 times a year and the car only see the hose for water) But my dad said they have a new wax for black cars!! as soon as I find it I will let everyone know about it!

Bluerauder
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I would rather hear someone said XYZ wax is terrible BEFORE I spend $20 on it. Good suggestion :up:
We can get XYZ wax here for $9.95 :rolleyes: ..... and it is just as terrible. ;)

I am happy with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax with Turtle Wax ICE polish and ICE detailer for between waxes. I also use Meguiar's Clay Bar in the Spring and Fall each year.

This ^^^ package gives a very good shine without too much effort.

GordonB
02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Need the buffer! Griot's Garage buffer, small and large. And you can use your favorite WAX with it also. Start with Clay. Then just have to use the Numbered polish from Griot's to get the fine scratches out and get the surface preped for the wax as a topping. My top pref. is Meguiars NXT.

FWIW.
GordonB

bigmerc2003
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
We can get XYZ wax here for $9.95 :rolleyes: ..... and it is just as terrible. ;)

I am happy with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax with Turtle Wax ICE polish and ICE detailer for between waxes. I also use Meguiar's Clay Bar in the Spring and Fall each year.

This ^^^ package gives a very good shine without too much effort.

I tried the clay bar and screwed it all up! Ended up with a cow pile looking clump of clay! But I watched the posts here about it and I think I needed to use LOTS MORE detailer to keep it wet. So we will try again as soon as we thaw out! But my mom swears by the Turtle wax ice polish, i like the meguiars quick detailer and just got the quick detailer interior spay for christmas and am excited to see how it does. See this is an awsome thread already! I might buy the NXT and try that this spring too

Bluerauder
02-17-2009, 02:49 PM
I tried the clay bar and screwed it all up! Ended up with a cow pile looking clump of clay! But I watched the posts here about it and I think I needed to use LOTS MORE detailer to keep it wet. So we will try again as soon as we thaw out! But my mom swears by the Turtle wax ice polish, i like the meguiars quick detailer and just got the quick detailer interior spay for christmas and am excited to see how it does. See this is an awsome thread already! I might buy the NXT and try that this spring too
Yes, with Clay Bar you must be quite generous with the detailer spray to keep the area well lubricated for the clay to slide and not stick. Do small sections.

The Turtle Wax ICE polish is great IMHO -- but you have to have a good wax base for maximum effect. ICE is a polish .... NOT a wax. There is a difference. The best part about ICE polish and detailer is that you can get it on trim, rubber, headlights, glass, etc. and it does not dry white and mess up the look. It is perfectly clear and can be used almost everywhere. Quick and Easy too.

bigmerc2003
02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes, with Clay Bar you must be quite generous with the detailer spray to keep the area well lubricated for the clay to slide and not stick. Do small sections.

The Turtle Wax ICE polish is great IMHO -- but you have to have a good wax base for maximum effect. ICE is a polish .... NOT a wax. There is a difference. The best part about ICE polish and detailer is that you can get it on trim, rubber, headlights, glass, etc. and it does not dry white and mess up the look. It is perfectly clear and can be used almost everywhere. Quick and Easy too.

What are your opinions on wax and polish? My dad was old school and always said wax and be done, polish will take off your wax, but I have heard polish helps your wax. Does anyone know the truth? What is the difference between the 2?

Bluerauder
02-17-2009, 07:54 PM
What are your opinions on wax and polish? My dad was old school and always said wax and be done, polish will take off your wax, but I have heard polish helps your wax. Does anyone know the truth? What is the difference between the 2?
I stand corrected ... according to the Turtle Wax ICE website ... ICE Polish is actually a Clear, Clarified Carnuba Wax. I have been using a light ICE treatment over the base of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax with excellent results for the past 3-4 years. IMHO it provides a deeper shine than with just NXT alone. I use ICE detailer spray at car shows for touch up.

chapel1
02-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Mother's has a great how to site chack it out!

bigmerc2003
02-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Mother's has a great how to site chack it out!

Not a big mothers fan, but they have a great mag polish to help clean the wheels!